DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Will Santa Boris score an own goal?

MrXxxx

So London jumped into Tier 3, experts claim that the Christmas plans are foolhardy, and all of a sudden there's talk of moving the Christmas restrictions to avoid a catastrophe like Thanksgiving Day in the US....So what do people think is likely to happen?

Personally I think Boris et al will move the goalposts as they know from previous challenges the majority of the UK populus will `swallow it`. This said, unlike changing air travel restrictions at the last minute that only affect a few, Christmas plans affect everyone. So I think it will be a reduction from 5 to 3 days (Christmas Eve, Day and Boxing Day)...this just to be seen to be doing something and ratcheting up the control for the next phase in 2021.

• Agree 1

Yadda yadda yadda
7 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

So London jumped into Tier 3, experts claim that the Christmas plans are foolhardy, and all of a sudden there's talk of moving the Christmas restrictions to avoid a catastrophe like Thanksgiving Day in the US....So what do people think is likely to happen?

Personally I think Boris et al will move the goalposts as they know from previous challenges the majority of the UK populus will `swallow it`. This said, unlike changing air travel restrictions at the last minute that only affect a few, Christmas plans affect everyone. So I think it will be a reduction from 5 to 3 days (Christmas Eve, Day and Boxing Day)...this just to be seen to be doing something and ratcheting up the control for the next phase in 2021.

Five days to three maybe. People have already ordered the turkey, booked train tickets, bought presents to give in person, etc. People will ignore the rule change. Not everyone, of course, but more of them. Once people have ignored one lot of covid rules they will ignore more of them. The Government will lose further control of the narrative.

I expect they already have a good idea of what percentage of people are obeying which rules. The more people that visibly, publicly do not comply the more socially acceptable it is to join them.

Disobedience is an element of public opinion that they will consider.

I think they would be making a mistake to change the Christmas rules. They'll lose support and piss people off. If there were full hospitals they'd have a case.

• Agree 7

16 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

What catastrophe at thanksgiving?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Five days to three maybe. People have already ordered the turkey, booked train tickets, bought presents to give in person, etc. People will ignore the rule change. Not everyone, of course, but more of them. Once people have ignored one lot of covid rules they will ignore more of them. The Government will lose further control of the narrative.

I expect they already have a good idea of what percentage of people are obeying which rules. The more people that visibly, publicly do not comply the more socially acceptable it is to join them.

Disobedience is an element of public opinion that they will consider.

I think they would be making a mistake to change the Christmas rules. They'll lose support and piss people off. If there were full hospitals they'd have a case.

Agree, the 5 to 3 is what they think they can `get away with`, and probably will.

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

We're not going anywhere.

It's joyous.

Our Christmas. 

We've made no plans as we fully anticipated this "development" and TBH it's better, feel like we are putting ourselves first for a change.

3 minutes ago, eight said:

We've made no plans as we fully anticipated this "development" and TBH it's better, feel like we are putting ourselves first for a change.

Sounds good! 

We had no plans on following the advice about mixing being allowed. 

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Sounds good! 

We had no plans on following the advice about mixing being allowed. 

Neither did we, although we weren't particularly bothered about listening to Mrs. E's terrified, BBC guzzling auntie banging on about covid minutiae all day.

• Lol 2

Just now, eight said:

Neither did we, although we weren't particularly bothered about listening to Mrs. E's terrified, BBC guzzling auntie banging on about covid minutiae all day.

Must have been 2018 she was so stressed about the turkey I offered to cook Christmas dinner here next time. Did some Sunday dinners too.

It's just a roast. Nothing to get too stressed about. 

But just us this year will be lovely. Ahhhh.

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

yone. So I think it will be a reduction from 5 to 3 days (Christmas Eve, Day and Boxing Day)...this just to be seen to be doing something and ratcheting up the control for the next phase in 2021

Frog boiling and cattle prodding at the same time.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

My kids, my daughter's bf and my mum will be coming. The eldest and her bf are doctors, but they have got their own supply of tests, so they can be a sure as they can be that they won't cause any problems for my mum. 

My brother who would normally join us is just seeing his wifes family on the IoW, but the FIL has leukemia, so sensible to limit contact there.

Boris can fuck off.

• Agree 3

57 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

My kids, my daughter's bf and my mum will be coming. The eldest and her bf are doctors, but they have got their own supply of tests, so they can be a sure as they can be that they won't cause any problems for my mum. 

My brother who would normally join us is just seeing his wifes family on the IoW, but the FIL has leukemia, so sensible to limit contact there.

Boris can fuck off.

My sister is a nurse and is visiting our parents on Christmas Day. What I find most remarkable about this is that she has known for some time that she will be off on Christmas Day; a Friday. Hardly points to a health service under intolerable pressure.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, eight said:

My sister is a nurse and is visiting our parents on Christmas Day. What I find most remarkable about this is that she has known for some time that she will be off on Christmas Day; a Friday. Hardly points to a health service under intolerable pressure.

My daughter is on shift at 5 pm on the day. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Popuplights said:

My daughter is on shift at 5 pm on the day. 

I don't think I'll be working. I am doing New Year's Eve though. Last year at this time was just mental. Now.... not so much.

stop_the_craziness
1 hour ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Five days to three maybe.

Perhaps five days was done in the first place with the specific intention of cutting it back to three at a later date.

I don't know many people whose Christmas plans go on for five days so it seemed an odd number to me when it was announced.

• Agree 1

Yadda yadda yadda
5 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Perhaps five days was done in the first place with the specific intention of cutting it back to three at a later date.

I don't know many people whose Christmas plans go on for five days so it seemed an odd number to me when it was announced.

People who use the trains I'd guess. They're expensive and stop early on Christmas Eve. They mostly don't run again until the 27th.

It can't make much difference anyway. If you're under the same roof for two nights or four you'll surely pass it on if you have it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

19 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

People who use the trains I'd guess. They're expensive and stop early on Christmas Eve. They mostly don't run again until the 27th.

It can't make much difference anyway. If you're under the same roof for two nights or four you'll surely pass it on if you have it.

Boxing day 1991 I was on a train heading back north. That was my last Christmas with the family. 

I'd have left on Christmas day but I was fairly certain there were no trains.

My mum's terrified of the virus, then again she's getting on in years so I'm not calling her sheeple. That's the only place I'd be likely to go at xmas so don't care what you do Boris fuck you very much.

41 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

My mum's terrified of the virus, then again she's getting on in years so I'm not calling her sheeple. That's the only place I'd be likely to go at xmas so don't care what you do Boris fuck you very much.

The news has been rather "panic driven". We are not at war with Germany again, yet.

Mirror Mirror
2 hours ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

If you're under the same roof for two nights or four you'll surely pass it on if you have it.

With the caveat that Dr Clare Craig and Prof Mike Yeadon, and others have put forward excellent arguments that community immunity has more or less been reached.

This is of course backed up not only by theoretical and practical science, but by the experience of the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

3 hours ago, eight said:

There's a thing called a 'code red' whereby all doctors have to pull up their pants and get into work somehow.

Not sure that this applies to all NHS staff.

Strange how this hasn't been called upon in this Black Death Mk2. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Funn3r said:

It may be worth asking if she's just as worried about spending her remaining years in an isolated bubble.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

The news has been rather "panic driven". We are not at war with Germany again, yet.

Will be finished by Christmas just hit the big red button marked nuke Berlin just send one .France would probably surrender before the Germans even though not the target and the Italians would want to join us 

Edited by stokiescum

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

Will be finished by Christmas just hit the big red button marked nuke.France would probably surrender before the Germans 

Good. I want to eat garlic snails, smoke Gitanes, and avoid the bath.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, maynardgravy said:

It may be worth asking if she's just as worried about spending her remaining years in an isolated bubble.

Six months ago I might have said pointless to even try. Now though, she's in her 80s but mind works perfectly, and I think she's starting to see that point of view. What can you do though you can't force yourself on people. I'd be on the train tomorrow if I thought she'd be alright with it.

• Agree 1