DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Neglected kids

6 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrzHHBl6dWU&ab_channel=AlexBelfield-THEVOICEOFREASON

Should social services interfere more in cases where neglect happens.

He's mentioning the children who died in a recent house fire and the Philpots.

I've not watched the video but it's a bit of a difficult one.  

Trouble is the cure often worse than the illness...ie out of the frying pan into the fire.

Knowing people that had a dysfunctional childhood I do think they may well still have been better off rather than going through institutional care.

In an ideal world of course if there are better places to be for the extreme cases yes, or if there were lots of happy families willing to adopt that would be great.

I think the early years ie before you can even really remember 1/2 years old very important.  I knew someone when I was a kid adopted when a toddler, something not right with him despite seemingly being in a really good family.  A while back heard he had driven drunk in the parents car or something and come a cropper.  

I did actually work briefly in a "institutional" type setting years ago.  Not that I've got a lot to compare with but felt it was definitely one of the better options out there and guess most would say kids were lucky to end up there.

All the same was very dog eat dog place you could see.  A few really good staff, some maybe just robotic care givers.  Parents or family home varied from abusive to just dysfunctional/ alcoholic etc.

Bit random but one family who visited the place regularly (rocked up in big old Mercedes estate with bodies piled all over hanging out.  Iirc there were 4 or 5 girls and one boy in care from the one family.  Not ones I worked with so didn't know well but seemed largely happy and the parents definitely cared about the kids.... Guess they were pretty dysfunctional though (poor whites).  The dad sadly ended up decapitated after a bar fight or something.  Anyway bit random but was quite funny at the time... One of the staff/ cleaners saw the mum pregnant again and started shouting laughing "oh no not another for me to clean up after" meant totally innocently and in good faith but yeah a bit wrong when you think about it.

Just now, Dogtania said:

One of the staff/ cleaners saw the mum pregnant again and started shouting laughing "oh no not another for me to clean up after" meant totally innocently and in good faith but yeah a bit wrong when you think about it.

June in Ardwick had lots of babies. As she was a smackhead they were took off her. Apparently it'd be against her human rights to sterilize her. 

5 minutes ago, wherebee said:

No, if anything parents should be alllowed to kill their kids up to the age of 5 without penalty.

Over time, you end up with higher IQ, more empathic population overall.

*runs away*

Spartan style... They were pretty hard although still finally lost out to the fancy mercantile Athenians I think

Just now, sarahbell said:

June in Ardwick had lots of babies. As she was a smackhead they were took off her. Apparently it'd be against her human rights to sterilize her. 

Yeah it's a bit tough one.  Net negative having June running around popping out kittens.  Can't really ster lize though...idk I'm not getting involved too much to think about

I fucking hate kids.

If it was up to me I would drown the bastards.

We should never have banned sending them up chimneys.

Now we have cunts like Marcus Rashford trousering millions while guilting politicians to charge me more fucking taxes to feed other people's kids even during school holidays.

If you can't fucking look after them don't fucking have kids.

Put them up for adoption and fuck off.

Cheeky twats.  >:(

1 minute ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I fucking hate kids.

If it was up to me I would drown the bastards.

We should never have banned sending them up chimneys.

Now we have cunts like Marcus Rashford trousering millions while guilting politicians to charge me more fucking taxes to feed other people's kids even during school holidays.

If you can't fucking look after them don't fucking have kids.

Put them up for adoption and fuck off.

Cheeky twats.  >:(

Like me, you were never young?

1 minute ago, Dogtania said:

Spartan style... They were pretty hard although still finally lost out to the fancy mercantile Athenians I think

Their rigid social structure meant that their method of warfare ossified.  They stuck with hoplites carrying spear and shield.

The men trained for this from childhood and they were the best a hoplite could be.

Then the sneaky Athenians started using bow and arrow to kill at a distance.  The Spartans thought this "unmanly" and mocked the arrows as "spindles". 

This refusal to change with the times did for them in battle.

Armies are incredibly conservative; it is astonishing that the British army is still paying out to maintain stables of horses.

Just now, Bedrag Justesen said:

If I need something to eat I would look in bins.

Never did me any harm.  :)

There was always the picnic basket in the back of the Bentley, when your strict German governess wasn't looking, or was spending time in the potting shed with the chief gardener.

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Their rigid social structure meant that their method of warfare ossified.  They stuck with hoplites carrying spear and shield.

The men trained for this from childhood and they were the best a hoplite could be.

Then the sneaky Athenians started using bow and arrow to kill at a distance.  The Spartans thought this "unmanly" and mocked the arrows as "spindles". 

This refusal to change with the times did for them in battle.

Armies are incredibly conservative; it is astonishing that the British army is still paying out to maintain stables of horses.

Really informative thanks.  Hadn't heard of the hoplites thing.  Makes a lot of sense what your saying though regarding them being unwilling to adapt and change.  A good lesson for anyone...I know bit of a cliché to say history meant to teach you... Granted history often written by the winners and revisionist etc etc caveats but still good example here that it can inform

4 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Really informative thanks.  Hadn't heard of the hoplites thing.  Makes a lot of sense what your saying though regarding them being unwilling to adapt and change.  A good lesson for anyone...I know bit of a cliché to say history meant to teach you... Granted history often written by the winners and revisionist etc etc caveats but still good example here that it can inform

Betthany Hughes' series are good if you're interested.

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes - for military leaders it's always a difficult balance to strike - there are other examples in history where the old ways actually remained more effective for some time. During the development of firearms for example, for a long time longbows remained a lot more effective and were arguably phased out too early. But when the guns became good enough they were redundant.....

Likewise now - these Mach 10 missiles the Russians claim to have will presumably one day make lots of military infrastructure redundant, but they've not proved themselves yet.

17 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yes - for military leaders it's always a difficult balance to strike - there are other examples in history where the old ways actually remained more effective for some time. During the development of firearms for example, for a long time longbows remained a lot more effective and were arguably phased out too early. But when the guns became good enough they were redundant.....

Likewise now - these Mach 10 missiles the Russians claim to have will presumably one day make lots of military infrastructure redundant, but they've not proved themselves yet.

I would also say that flightless aircraft and drones have effectively made piloted military aircraft redundant and the RAF should wake up to quite how much money (and lives) it could save by going this way.

There is of course the problem of jamming but a remotely controlled fighter should beat a manned fighter every time because the remote pilot is not subject to G forces or being thrown about and the unmanned fighter is much lighter.

That to my mind would be the ultimate work from home job.

"What did you do in the war Daddy?"

"I sat in my front room and fought the second Battle of Britain."

Plus of course drones carrying bombs are the ultimate kamikaze and I remember reading that the Armenian army's tanks were recently obliterated in just this way. 

Driving through council estates you'll see military-style speed humps designed to force traffic down from one end to the other.  I never understood the point of these, they weren't necessary in the '80s or '90s.  I thought maybe some councilors or something whine about it as some way of leeching off the budget.

Then earlier in the year I saw first hand why they're installed.

A fucking two year old in nappies walks out from between cars, to the other side of the road and up some steps.  The white van guy coming the opposite direction stops and puts on four indicators, going passed me, "Jesus!  What the fuck mate?".  There was no parent left nor right.  The van driver looked consumed by 'father mode' and went after the toddler.

It belonged to one of the houses, and it's probably not an isolated thing.  They've probably been killed beforehand.

Apparently; "Fuck contraception" when getting nuked on cider and ecstacy.  They really don't give a fuck, about conception nor what the brat does afterwards.  I wouldn't let my dog run wild in this way.

Edit:  I also wouldn't be surprised if the van driver got a bollocking from the (no doubt single) mother, if he ever did her the courtesy of reuniting her baby with her.  Maybe worse, accused of all sorts, who knows.  I bet social services deal with this type of shit a lot, I wonder what kind of stories they'd have to tell.

Edited by ElKapitan84
2 hours ago, ElKapitan84 said:

Driving through council estates you'll see military-style speed humps designed to force traffic down from one end to the other.  I never understood the point of these, they weren't necessary in the '80s or '90s.  I thought maybe some councilors or something whine about it as some way of leeching off the budget.

Then earlier in the year I saw first hand why they're installed.

A fucking two year old in nappies walks out from between cars, to the other side of the road and up some steps.  The white van guy coming the opposite direction stops and puts on four indicators, going passed me, "Jesus!  What the fuck mate?".  There was no parent left nor right.  The van driver looked consumed by 'father mode' and went after the toddler.

It belonged to one of the houses, and it's probably not an isolated thing.  They've probably been killed beforehand.

Apparently; "Fuck contraception" when getting nuked on cider and ecstacy.  They really don't give a fuck, about conception nor what the brat does afterwards.  I wouldn't let my dog run wild in this way.

Edit:  I also wouldn't be surprised if the van driver got a bollocking from the (no doubt single) mother, if he ever did her the courtesy of reuniting her baby with her.  Maybe worse, accused of all sorts, who knows.  I bet social services deal with this type of shit a lot, I wonder what kind of stories they'd have to tell.

Ecstacy and cider, you're about 20 years late there. Nowadays it's crack and polish 9% lager.

4 hours ago, Dogtania said:

The Athenians dominated them

at sea and did get the Spartans to surrender in a land battle something that shocked Greece at the time.however the Spartans in the main did were the stronger.it was the thebians that actually fucked up the Spartans the most and ended there dominance .there elite troops were 300 gay couples and they targeted the oppositions leaders 

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

Like me, you were never young?

Humans are three species in one -- larva (up to 12), adult (12 to 30) and past-it (30+).  It is best never to assume you understand anything other than the specific species you're in even if you were one of the other species once (if you were any understanding is lost during the intermediate chrysalis stage).

21 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

The Athenians dominated them

at sea and did get the Spartans to surrender in a land battle something that shocked Greece at the time.however the Spartans in the main did were the stronger.it was the thebians that actually fucked up the Spartans the most and ended there dominance .there elite troops were 300 gay couples and they targeted the oppositions leaders 

The thebians were the elite 300 gay couples or the Spartans?

Guessing the Athenians had dirty hands helping out financially or otherwise.

The Spartans sounded awesome anyway... From a distance not sure it would be great as a kid or as a slave.  Being retired or a woman though I thought the innings quite good for the time if I read correctly.