DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Weight loss

Seems to be the big thing among blokes I know at the mo.

Met up with Sam who I'd not seen for about 3 months.

Sam looked tired, hollow cheeks, heavily lined face, grey sallow skin

"Fuck Sam, what happened?"

"Hey yeah Dave Bloke, I look great eh? 13 kg off since September. I don't do breakfast or carbs just best steak for lunch and dinner, the high protein diet, I got it off YouTube"

Another guy, Steve used to be a bit round but I saw him recently and he's got jowly skin hanging off his face like one of those Churchill Insurance dogs. Another bloke I know has also lost 15kg - down to 65 from 80kg.

Well they do seem to be quicker at sports but I figure you need to loose this fat when you are young, not advanced middle age when the skin has lost its elasticity.

Edited by Dave Bloke
31 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

"Hey yeah Dave Bloke, I look great eh? 13 kg off since September. I don't do breakfast or carbs just best steak for lunch and dinner, the high protein diet, I got it off YouTube"

Another guy, Steve used to be a bit round but I saw him recently and he's got jowly skin hanging off his face like one of those Churchill Insurance dogs. Another bloke I know has also lost 15kg - down to 65 from 80kg.

Well they do seem to be quicker at sports but I figure you need to loose this fat when you are young, not advanced middle age when the skin has lost its elasticity.

They might look worse (to you) but maybe they will live longer? (Their knee might be happier too?)

I think excess weight isn't good (at ay age) and better for them to lose it later in life than not at all?

And apart from losing weight/keeping to a healthy weight and doing regular exercise, I think I am pretty much persuaded that occasional fasting does is a lot of good too.  I just can't being myself to do it (properly) yet! 

6 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

Tell them to do some proper fasting as well, supposedly it helps with the loose skin. 

But in general after 50, both men and women have to choose between their arse and their face. 

8 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

It's those who have hidden away who will be scared to come out as they won't have any clothes that fit them...

People who were complacent about the future allowed themselves to become fat and weak. Now they are getting scared they are trying to become strong again.

It used to be mostly women I would see out running. Suddenly I see enormous numbers of men (of all ages) losing weight and starting fitness training.

29 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

People who were complacent about the future allowed themselves to become fat and weak. Now they are getting scared they are trying to become strong again.

It used to be mostly women I would see out running. Suddenly I see enormous numbers of men (of all ages) losing weight and starting fitness training.

I think you have something there.

People jolted out of their stasis and facing huge uncertainty in their lives wishing to equip themselves to face it.

Interesting times indeed.

The only people in my extended family with seriously health problems are the two that decided in their 30's to lose a lot of weight.  They felt great whilst doing it.

Now in their early 50's, they have autoimmune problems and many dietary allergies. It could be co-incidence but the more they cut out, the more problems they had a few years later.

I'm losing weight very slowly (1 kg per month), just having 2 weetabix rather than 4 in the morning and cutting biscuits/cake by 90%.  I noticed the weight loss in my face, then bum, then middle.  No photos available.

35 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

there have always been lots of men out there exercising, haven't you seen the plagues of MAMILs on the roads?

Women prefer to run as they can't do bike maintenance :)

3 minutes ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

The only people in my extended family with seriously health problems are the two that decided in their 30's to lose a lot of weight.  They felt great whilst doing it.

Now in their early 50's, they have autoimmune problems and many dietary allergies. It could be co-incidence but the more they cut out, the more problems they had a few years later.

I'm losing weight very slowly (1 kg per month), just having 2 weetabix rather than 4 in the morning and cutting biscuits/cake by 90%.  I noticed the weight loss in my face, then bum, then middle.  No photos available.

That's definitely the way to do it if you have the self control.

I know someone who did Lighter Life (600 calories a day and you only eat what they send you plus water). This guy was a big eater though didn't drink much and followed it faithfully losing more than ten stone in IIRC less than six months.

He however looked really gaunt on it and because he did zero exercise as soon as he stopped it he started heading back to where he started.

I have suggested he does it again because it looks like the only way in which he will lose weight and it will take some strain off his heart; I don't think he will though. I get the impression now that he thought it was a permanent fix and is disheartened that it wasn't.

In their defence: three kids to look after and WFH job before we all started doing one.

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

I expect the trigger is people working from home are having more time to cook and are under less stress..  so are starting to sort their health out a bit?  It has definitely been part of the equation for me.

Very much so, I'm currently walking about 3 hours a day.

With the exception of the hour at lunch time, the other two I just wouldn't have time to fit in if I was going in to the office everyday. I've always managed to get a bit extra in but not two whole hours consistently.

----

Sadly for most of these people it will be a short term fix, the failure rate for long term weight loss is massive. In the region of 95% of people will have put it all back on within a year or two. Depends on who you listen to US the number is around 80-85% but the biggest study globally is an NHS study which is the 95% figure.

There is a general perception that almost no one succeeds in long-term maintenance of weight loss. However, research has shown that ≈20% of overweight individuals are successful at long-term weight loss when defined as losing at least 10% of initial body weight and maintaining the loss for at least 1 y

Personally I don't think 20% success rate is all that great.

Of course it's still worth the effort to try.

The trouble is people have spent decades fucking themselves up, but want to imagine that they can fix it with extreme measures over a few months, rather than through a permenent lifestyle change over years.

The only way to lose weight quickly is to run a significant calorie deficit. The quicker you do it, the more significant the deficit must be. I don't see how it's possible to run a significant calorie deficit without exposing yourself to nutritional deficiencies. You'll get away with it in the very short term, but eating the sort of diet most people eat - but just less of it - for months on end is going to fuck you up.

3 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

The trouble is people have spent decades fucking themselves up, but want to imagine that they can fix it with extreme measures over a few months, rather than through a permenent lifestyle change over years.

The only way to lose weight quickly is to run a significant calorie deficit. The quicker you do it, the more significant the deficit must be. I don't see how it's possible to run a significant calorie deficit without exposing yourself to nutritional deficiencies. You'll get away with it in the very short term, but eating the sort of diet most people eat - but just less of it - for months on end is going to fuck you up.

I noted somebody who had been on a Lighter Life diet upthread.

The son of a friend also went on it and suffered severe kidney problems requiring hospitalisation; I have read that this is a known issue with such diets.  Possibly people are drinking far too much water in order to feel full.

I won't be able to find the reference as it was within a video I saw a few months ago but a Scottish man went a year without eating; only drinking water and taking supplement pills without any adverse effects.

When the alternative is continuing at ten or more stone overweight with the huge health risks that brings then I would say that a crash diet is the lesser of two evils.

The guy I know cannot control his eating; half an hour after his evening meal he will start on a family pack of crisps or corn snacks.  The "this is all you can eat all day" of the purchased diet was the only thing that would have worked for him which it did.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I noted somebody who had been on a Lighter Life diet upthread.

The son of a friend also went on it and suffered severe kidney problems requiring hospitalisation; I have read that this is a known issue with such diets.  Possibly people are drinking far too much water in order to feel full.

I won't be able to find the reference as it was within a video I saw a few months ago but a Scottish man went a year without eating; only drinking water and taking supplement pills without any adverse effects.

When the alternative is continuing at ten or more stone overweight with the huge health risks that brings then I would say that a crash diet is the lesser of two evils.

The guy I know cannot control his eating; half an hour after his evening meal he will start on a family pack of crisps or corn snacks.  The "this is all you can eat all day" of the purchased diet was the only thing that would have worked for him which it did.

To me it's not a question of the lesser of two evils. It's people who are dysfunctional in one way becoming dysfunctional in a different way that doesn't even necessarily fix their original underlying metabolic problems.

We all accept that being overweight is bad for you (and it clearly is),  but you can be thin and have a shit diet that's fucking you up.

1 hour ago, gilf said:

Personally I don't think 20% success rate is all that great.

Of course it's still worth the effort to try.

Agreed..

I think two factors will predict peoples success:

*  The type of diet:   Is it a "quick fix" or a long term change in eating habits.  A quick fix will have temporary results,  a long term change may have a better chance of success.

*  Environment:   If people return to work "proper" and conditions are reversed..    will people just revert to their old habits / priorities / coping mechanisms.

4 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Agreed..

I think two factors will predict peoples success:

*  The type of diet:   Is it a "quick fix" or a long term change in eating habits.  A quick fix will have temporary results,  a long term change may have a better chance of success.

*  Environment:   If people return to work "proper" and conditions are reversed..    will people just revert to their old habits / priorities / coping mechanisms.

Yup.

I had a long day and a 100 mile commute.  There was no way that I was going to prepare a meal from fresh ingredients when I arrived home tired and in the dark.

Obviously you can do this but most don't.

Now I am down to two meals a day eaten at about eleven and five so leaving a long overnight 18 hours of no food which is IMO better for the body which does not want to be perpetually processing food.

I simply could not have done that whilst working in an office.

2 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

I might look like shite but I feel great cos I had 2 bananas for breakfast, vitamins, minerals and I jump out of bed since I gave up meat and alcohol......and my turds are healthier than ever...

Off for a bike ride, fuck off fatties :P

Mr Hanky sends his Christmas regards.