DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Digital Sound Streaming

Im finding im listening to music on you tube a lot these days.

Since my HIFI is in another room to my TV, i was thinking of casting to another box in the HIFI room. If im streaming youtube audio via the cast function to a dedicated amazon fire TV (i have a spare) connected to my HI-FI system would something like this work if i didnt connect a TV? So i just want to listen to the audio. Anyone tried it? Whats the quality like? Seems a lot cheaper than buy a dedicated HIFI streamer for hundreds of pounds. The box says 192khz so it should be better than CD. I suppose a PITA might be the ads though.

Also it would be nice to stream from other sources ie my MP3 collection on my PC HDD, or something else. Any apps on PC could do that?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multifunction-Converter-Extractor-Adapter-Toslink/dp/B07PWJSJ97/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=ViewHD+HDMI+Audio+Extractor&qid=1608210685&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE2RENPTlFKTUNBSiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRJZD1BMDU3NDA5ODNHR1pETDBVTDRJRlImZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDIxNzg5MTJaMTRBTk1BQUpESEMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I have an oldish Android TV box designed to plug into a non-smart TV so you can watch youtube and netflix and so on. It also accepts "casts" from my phone so I start listening to yt-music on my phone then press "cast it to TV box" and the music comes out of the TV box instead of my phone.

The TV box and/or TV itself has inexpensive analog amp and bookshelf speakers attached. Works OK for sound+vision or just sound. 

I also have an app on my phone called HiFi-cast or something like that which takes the audio from files on my PC hard drive and sends it to the speakers. This is if I want to listen to my actual music collection rather than streaming from yt-music. Better quality sound if your stuff is in FLAC format.

You could do that I guess if Amazon lets you. No reason why you actually need the actual TV attached if you only want to have music. I had to do some odd things to get audio and video to sync but again wouldn't bother you.

Adding another paragraph via edit function

I have a box like the one you showed in your link. It is purely to convert from the TV TOS (fibre-optic) output to analog audio suitable for the amplifier input. Everything mostly worked fine without it but I had to add the TOS converter to fix the audio-video-sync problem I mentioned.  So I don't see why you need it, unless the Amazon Fire only has TOS output.

Edited by Funn3r
add 1 para
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I have an oldish Android TV box designed to plug into a non-smart TV so you can watch youtube and netflix and so on. It also accepts "casts" from my phone so I start listening to yt-music on my phone then press "cast it to TV box" and the music comes out of the TV box instead of my phone.

The TV box and/or TV itself has inexpensive analog amp and bookshelf speakers attached. Works OK for sound+vision or just sound. 

I also have an app on my phone called HiFi-cast or something like that which takes the audio from files on my PC hard drive and sends it to the speakers. This is if I want to listen to my actual music collection rather than streaming from yt-music. Better quality sound if your stuff is in FLAC format.

You could do that I guess if Amazon lets you. No reason why you actually need the actual TV attached if you only want to have music. I had to do some odd things to get audio and video to sync but again wouldn't bother you.

Adding another paragraph via edit function

I have a box like the one you showed in your link. It is purely to convert from the TV TOS (fibre-optic) output to analog audio suitable for the amplifier input. Everything mostly worked fine without it but I had to add the TOS converter to fix the audio-video-sync problem I mentioned.  So I don't see why you need it, unless the Amazon Fire only has TOS output.

The reason I ask is sometimes my TV wont recognise fire tv box unless it's specifically switched over to the CORRECT hdmi. Does your music stream OK to the amplifier through the rca Jacks if the TV is not connected? 

Try this:

https://www.plex.tv/en-gb/

We had this at our old place, just to stream the network drive of films and TV to the television in the living room.

You can also use your mobile, so you can keep a centralised playlist and then cast from your mobile to something with Bluetooth for example like a speaker while you're doing the cooking.

It can do audio too, but I never used that. I suppose ideally you'd have a cheap PC with a high quality USB DAC, and a cheap monitor in your other room. Use the monitor to choose the tracks and then connect the output of the DAC to the amplifier. Or use a laptop with said USB DAC. Thus getting a clean path through from source to amplifier if sound quality is important.

2 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

Is there some setup you could recommend?  I used to have some Logitech boxes installed and a NAS with Slimserver installed but pretty much all the Logitech kit has died

It's not designed to last. You have to "upgrade" to the new model.

29 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

The reason I ask is sometimes my TV wont recognise fire tv box unless it's specifically switched over to the CORRECT hdmi. Does your music stream OK to the amplifier through the rca Jacks if the TV is not connected? 

Maybe you know this already but HDMI is quite complex and your TV has various menu configuration options to do with auto-sensing and auto-poweron of TV and devices.  

My flat is very small (I would have more space onboard one of @MrPin's fake submarines) so I am obliged to have the entire TV and audio in one corner of the officer's mess  lounge. Not having a TV connected is something that doesn't happen so I don't know.

5 minutes ago, sukuinage said:

Is there some setup you could recommend?  I used to have some Logitech boxes installed and a NAS with Slimserver installed but pretty much all the Logitech kit has died

For file sharing I use a Pi4 with a USB3 to SATA adapter and a 2TB 2.5 inch HDD.  No RAID but I'm happy plugging in a second drive the same way to do backups.  That's then shared via NFS but you could use UPNP/DLNA or Samba or whatever you're able to install on your preferred Pi OS.

Another Pi is connected to my AV receiver via HDMI and usually runs Kodi or EmulationStation.

Another is headless and has a HiFiBerry, connected to an amplifier running MPD to stream internet radio streams or MP3s from the file server.  It also has a MIDI keyboard plugged into it and runs Pianoteq for piano emulation.

Another Pi4 is connected to a TV and a cheap USB DAC for watching youtube or streaming radio, again using MPD.

I use Flirc IR receivers which let you control things using any remote.

Two bluetooth 5.0 boxes, one to transmit from the youtube source and one to receive plugged into the hifi may do.

I have one such box that has a switch for TX or RX, using it in TX mode to transmit to a pair of bluetooth headphones I can wear around the house with no issue while listening to music from my TV via a Roku player for Plex, YouTube etc.

Bluetooth 5.0 has the range and while it uses the same band as home wifi it has anti-interference measures. The kit I bought off Amazon (£23 for the box) has APTX Low Latency (LL) for lip sync when watching TV and APTX HD for 'better than CD' quality capability when streaming music. Also has toslink input and output for digital connection.

Another possible option to add to the mix when weighing up what kit to use and the cost involved.