• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

BT high speed internet - odd question

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I walk past a stand alone box for this, placed close to an older exchange box.

It has cooling vents but I was surprised to be able to feel the heat it was pumping out; it was pouring out.

Are the other ones similar or is this one about to go pop?

Don't know definitively but if designed with vents then obviously needs to shed some heat - whether fan assisted or not.  The old exchange boxes were little more than a patchbay / tangle of interconnecting wires, the modern ones for local broadband line distribution will have end of route high speed switching electronics so will no doubt need cooling of some sort or other. 

38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It has cooling vents but I was surprised to be able to feel the heat it was pumping out; it was pouring out.

That's an interesting anecdote.  wrap it in packing tape and tell us what happens.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

We had one installed by us.  It had noisy fans 24/7, spewing out heat, then, after about a month, it went so that the fans were barely audible and there was no heat output.  The fibre internet still works (for those who've had it installed).  I've no idea why this was.

13 minutes ago, dgul said:

We had one installed by us.  It had noisy fans 24/7, spewing out heat, then, after about a month, it went so that the fans were barely audible and there was no heat output.  The fibre internet still works (for those who've had it installed).  I've no idea why this was.

I'll have a listen for the fans going when I walk past it later; it's about a mile and a half away so I can't just pop out;  I only noticed it last week so it may be in its first month.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

21st century road side box.

Old ones were just a wire frame.

21st are active powered.

They are increasingly becoming bigger and noisier - something to consider when BT decides to stick one outside your house.

I was considering moving to one house a few years back just as the gas board decided to stick in a new emergency shut-off valve in the gas mains directly opposite the house.

They put the valve in and then built a fence around the exposed pipe. Some time later they build a little green shed-like box around it.

But the noise of the high pressure gas going through that valve is incredibly annoying - 24 hours a day non-stop.

It seems that the utilities have absolute power in this regard.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Weird...I walked past one yesterday and noticed exactly the same thing. Maybe the internet's breaking

6 hours ago, onlyme said:

Don't know definitively but if designed with vents then obviously needs to shed some heat - whether fan assisted or not.  The old exchange boxes were little more than a patchbay / tangle of interconnecting wires, the modern ones for local broadband line distribution will have end of route high speed switching electronics so will no doubt need cooling of some sort or other. 

It'll be all the GCHQ kit.