DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Study Feeding Pigs Human Food Cancelled for Cruelty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Study Feeding Pigs Human Food Canceled for Cruelty Meat scientist Eric Berg, Ph.D., stopped a study he was conducting with pigs that were fed what the average American eats because their healt

Mate, forget the skin, you should see what there is lurking in the actual meat a lot of the time. I actually think this is the root reason that Judaism and Islam forbid pork - way back in the mis

The prohibition on eating pork is  environmentally driven. Think of where Judaism and Islam sprang from. Dry dusty environment lacking in water. Pigs have one stomach and can't eat grass. You would ne

Posted Images

They got brittle bones and they stopped growing. They got fat, their hair fell out and they got pimples. So, it was a mess and that happened in three months.”

They didn't then have to go and release them in my Tesco Extra for Christ's sake.

You always seem them trailing the young mothers.

58 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Fuck sake, I've got pork shoulder for tomorrow's roast. I don't want pimply pork.

Mate, forget the skin, you should see what there is lurking in the actual meat a lot of the time.

I actually think this is the root reason that Judaism and Islam forbid pork - way back in the mists of time without antibiotics, modern animal husbandry techniques, refrigerators etc. it was identified that pork was a bit of a health hazard (much moreso than other meats) and they used 'god said not to eat this' as a social control method to stop people eating it and getting ill.

I say this as a lover of bacon sarnies and sausages.

1 hour ago, Boglet said:

Mate, forget the skin, you should see what there is lurking in the actual meat a lot of the time.

I actually think this is the root reason that Judaism and Islam forbid pork - way back in the mists of time without antibiotics, modern animal husbandry techniques, refrigerators etc. it was identified that pork was a bit of a health hazard (much moreso than other meats) and they used 'god said not to eat this' as a social control method to stop people eating it and getting ill.

The prohibition on eating pork is  environmentally driven. Think of where Judaism and Islam sprang from. Dry dusty environment lacking in water. Pigs have one stomach and can't eat grass. You would need to feed them root crops and grains. Reason why goats and sheep preferred. 

In contrast Europe has loads of water, deep soils and a pigs head is natures perfect organic plough - great for breaking up uncultivated ground. 

1 hour ago, Boglet said:

It was probably tapeworms from less than properly cooked pork.

16 hours ago, MrPin said:

It was probably tapeworms from less than properly cooked pork.

Indeed: Taenia Solium is not the name of a Ukrainian supermodel.

As some of you may be about to enjoy a bacon buttie breakfast, I'll refrain from posting pictures of measly pork.

19 hours ago, Boglet said:

All Religious Dietary Laws are based in good science - do the research on all of these rules concerning....

- fasting

- shell fish

- pork

- blood transfusions

- halal meat 

- no meat on a friday

- Vegetarianism

Those religious leaders back 3000 years ago knew their stuff...

1 hour ago, Vendetta said:

All Religious Dietary Laws are based in good science - do the research on all of these rules concerning....

- fasting

- shell fish

- pork

- blood transfusions

- halal meat 

- no meat on a friday

- Vegetarianism

Relative to the time they were set

In a modern context Halal and Kosher slaughtered animals retain more blood than those  conventionally stunned & slaughtered. The ritually slaughtered carcass retains about 1% extra body weight - a nice bit of extra profit for the butcher;)

As for pork if its cooked properly it presents no greater risk than any other red meat. Red meat from sheep, cattle and goats are not without risks either. 

Poultry is high risk but doesn't seem to feature on any religious prohibitions. 

20 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The prohibition on eating pork is  environmentally driven. Think of where Judaism and Islam sprang from. Dry dusty environment lacking in water. Pigs have one stomach and can't eat grass. You would need to feed them root crops and grains. Reason why goats and sheep preferred. 

In contrast Europe has loads of water, deep soils and a pigs head is natures perfect organic plough - great for breaking up uncultivated ground. 

Extremely doubtful. Pig farming in the Middle East goes back to 8,500BC. Pigs are enormously versatile omnivores, and perfectly safe to eat if properly cooked.

Also it’s hardly like the food prohibition is just “no pork, no shellfish”, there are all sorts of other bullshit prohibitions and compliance requirements.

I think this ancient wisdom angle is entirely back engineered to falsely justify a load of old shit. It seems far more likely it simply serves to isolate members of the cult from eating with non-cult members and exchanging ideas and stories (and potentially loyalties) from outside the cult.

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Extremely doubtful. Pig farming in the Middle East goes back to 8,500BC. Pigs are enormously versatile omnivores, and perfectly safe to eat if properly cooked.

Also it’s hardly like the food prohibition is just “no pork, no shellfish”, there are all sorts of other bullshit prohibitions and compliance requirements.

I think this ancient wisdom angle is entirely back engineered to falsely justify a load of old shit. It seems far more likely it simply serves to isolate members of the cult from eating with non-cult members and exchanging ideas and stories (and potentially loyalties) from outside the cult.

I suspect in areas where water was more plentiful - Nile Valley, Indus and Europhrates. Also nice deep silty soils for the pigs to dig for roots. 

I seem to sit midway between Vendetta and your position on this:D

5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

There is probably some sound science in the shellfish prohibition because there are a variety of toxins that can accumulate in them and are heat stable so cooking wont help. 

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Campylobacter and Salmonella are routinely found in poultry fee range or farmed. 

Its vaccination that has reduced the prevalence of Salmonella in poultry and eggs. 

I was just under the impression that Chickens are normally salmonella free, its just that they become contaminated in the food/farming industry, even so called free range.

Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

There is probably some sound science in the shellfish prohibition because there are a variety of toxins that can accumulate in them and are heat stable so cooking wont help. 

Right, but you are suggesting that because a tiny fraction of the rules can be regarded as positive in some circumstances, that the rules are rooted in “good science”. 

When you look at the rules in their totality, a more plausible explanation is that some controlling psycho cult leader laid the rules down to isolate and control his victims.

10 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Other than a view that environmental factors may have been a driver as regard spork I'm in general agreement with what you say.  

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

Right, but you are suggesting that because a tiny fraction of the rules can be regarded as positive in some circumstances, that the rules are rooted in “good science”. 

When you look at the rules in their totality, a more plausible explanation is that some controlling psycho cult leader laid the rules down to isolate and control his victims.

No - stop misreading what I said - Ie read my previous comment. 

The aversions to eating shellfish probably developed int he same way people developed aversions to eating certain berries - a high risk of being poisoned. 

Marine toxins are much more prevalent in warmer water hence the possible reason the prohibitions where put in place. 

2 hours ago, Vendetta said:

- fasting

- shell fish

- pork

- blood transfusions

- halal meat 

- no meat on a friday

- Vegetarianism

Find a lot of shell fish shells miles inland and you’ve found where Romans stayed regularly without even getting a metal detector out

4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

No - stop misreading what I said - Ie read my previous comment. 

The aversions to eating shellfish probably developed int he same way people developed aversions to eating certain berries - a high risk of being poisoned. 

Marine toxins are much more prevalent in warmer water hence the possible reason the prohibitions where put in place. 

People have been eating shellfish in those climactic conditions since (at least) homo erectus was the dominant form of humans! It’s precisely because shellfish and pigs were in the standard diet for the area that the prohibitions were created.

It’s not to do with food safety, or environmentalism. It’s about isolation and control.

16 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

People have been eating shellfish in those climactic conditions since (at least) homo erectus was the dominant form of humans! It’s precisely because shellfish and pigs were in the standard diet for the area that the prohibitions were created.

It’s not to do with food safety, or environmentalism. It’s about isolation and control.

So what about fasting then? 

Not just about control - more to do with ‘religion as a vehicle’ for improving society. Hence the 10 commandments etc....

Edited by Vendetta
5 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

So what about fasting then? 

Not just about control - more to do with ‘religion as a vehicle’ for improving society. Hence the 10 commandments etc....

Fasting (and temporary abstinence) for some sense of purity is quite instinctual. I imagine there’s a very, very long tradition of that being part of religion. But similarly that will have been co-opted by various cults to make people vulnerable too.

I used to know someone who had been initiated into a cult, and the first weekend induction involved being kept in a room with no natural light and no clocks or watches, and kept on a water fast for at least 2 days.

Edited by Hail the Tripod
21 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I agree their particular motivation was isolation and control. The food safety / environmental factors would have helped them persuade otherwise doubtful populations.