• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
wherebee

Going backwards in going forwards

A thread to point out 'advances' in society which turn out to be worse that the methods our ancestors used.

1: Buses having to be tailed by security guards in cars.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/security-cars-to-follow-brisbane-buses-as-part-of-safety-boost-20170822-gy1si2.html

Our ancestors used to use conductors to collect fares and keep order.  I used to use routemasters a lot in London in the period when you had driver only and routemasters on the same route - I would ALWAYS prefer a routemaster....

Apparently Brisbane has about 1200 buses.  

How many buses per security guard in tow.  Will they permit overtaking of the car/bus pairing in case they get separated in traffic - ordinary people who drive in close convoy are irritating enough already.  Will passengers start to insist on having a security guard tailing them - or they won't use the bus.

At least they're going to win and they won't change their way of life.

Edited by twocents

4 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Homogenised milk  ...you have to buy cream in a separate tub now and the blue/great tits get none 

+1 (although no idea if delivered milk ever existed in CH).

As a kid I loved getting the top third of a bottle of Gold Top milk(Jersey) on my cornflakes. OK, the rest of the bottle wasn't so good, but it was worth it.

8 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Homogenised milk  ...you have to buy cream in a separate tub now and the blue/great tits get none 

I still invert the bottle and give it a shake before opening. Old habits die hard.