DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Best Christmas choclit

Best Christmas chocolates  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Best Christmas chocolates

• Cadbury's Roses
    • Quality Street
    • Heroes
    • Celebrations
    • ALDI / LIDL equivalent
    • After Eight
    • Terrys Chocolate Orange
    • Some obscure one that only Wight Flight has heard of

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chocolate has gone really weird. All the 'normal' chocolate tastes like shit (eg, your Roses example) All the expensive chocolate tastes too bitter (or something else, like weird flavou

Toblerange. My Christmas day evening sorted.    

Can you please change the last choice to 'I would rather have some cheese' I don't actually like chocolate. @spunko  

Posted Images

Chocolate has gone really weird.

• All the 'normal' chocolate tastes like shit (eg, your Roses example)
  • All the expensive chocolate tastes too bitter (or something else, like weird flavouring).
  • All the cheap chocolate tastes shit as well.

I think it is a British/European/USA thing.  The UK used to have a chocolate 'taste' that was rather nice*.  We've now integrated ourselves into a world economy and the 'British taste' has been moved to be a bit more like what Americans like (weird), Europeans like (shit) or expensive (weird).

I suppose we're better off not eating it.  Seems a shame though.

[* possibly an adaptational thing -- but it doesn't actually matter -- I used to like it]

Edited by dgul
1 minute ago, dgul said:

• All the expensive chocolate tastes too bitter (or something else, like weird flavouring).

I think it is a British/European/USA thing.  The UK used to have a chocolate 'taste' that was rather nice*.  We've now integrated ourselves into a world economy and the 'British taste' has been moved to be a bit more like what Americans like (weird), Europeans like (shit) or expensive (weird).

[* possibly an adaptational thing -- but it doesn't actually matter -- I used to like it]

Yes, I remember my Cousin visiting from Canada 30 years ago and going batshit mental for our chocolate and stuffing her suitcases full of it when she left.

A few years ago lidl did this spanish chocolate which was absolutely fantastic and very reasonably priced. Never saw it again. Grab every variety of it if you ever see it. This year they just seem to be doing some flimsy little overpriced samplers.

image.png.ae857997ab24db28ff7be197eb571928.png

They don't really do a roses/quality street style in these parts.

Edit, that's the nougat which is also excellent, chocolate packing is similar.

Edited by steppensheep
13 minutes ago, Libspero said:

think you can’t beat dairy milk..  If I was buying chocolate it would be that (or something made of that).

The box or the bar? Tried a bar a few years ago and thought it absolutely foul.

I think milka is the nicest of the mass market stuff, or lindt for something a bit fancier. (Ironically, I think milka and cadbury are related, or at least they produce remarkably similar products)

9 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

The box or the bar? Tried a bar a few years ago and thought it absolutely foul.

I think milka is the nicest of the mass market stuff, or lindt for something a bit fancier. (Ironically, I think milka and cadbury are related, or at least they produce remarkably similar products)

Both owned/produced by Mondelez, never eaten Milka so can't say but if you think Dairy Milk has gone down the pan due to changes then you would assume they would have done the same with Milka.

Irish Dairy Milk is still nice, but you can only get that in small bars. It's got the same ingredients listed as the UK stuff, but I think the quality of milk used is possible where the difference is.

Personally I still like Dairy Milk, it has certainly changed though.

Lidl JD gross range with the high cocoa percentage I believe punches above its weight.  I think it was the 70/80% ones... You would think they would be bitter at that level but not so.

Otherwise idk hotel chocolate or even better local choclataire.  Or some fancy department store selling expensive French Belgium etc.

Always liked those prailine seashell sugar bombs, sugar, chic, hazelnut and some black magic way of mixing.  Lidl had half price the other week..I bought one and consumed all very quickly.  Glad I didn't buy anymore.

Side point, and other people have never heard of and so maybe I'm imagining/ false memory.  But when younger a bachelor relation died, very bon vivant.  Cigars, wine cellar distributed around.  But remember one thing in particular being mentioned a few times as in wtf by those who found in a drawer, guessing a gift or something...

Was baby bumble bees in chocolate.

Searched a few times online never a mention of it ever being a thing.  Still the memory is there, wonder if anybody heard of here?  (Sorry @sarahbell think the consensus at time or certainly now for me is a bit macabre.  

44 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Lidl JD gross range with the high cocoa percentage I believe punches above its weight.  I think it was the 70/80% ones... You would think they would be bitter at that level but not so.

Otherwise idk hotel chocolate or even better local choclataire.  Or some fancy department store selling expensive French Belgium etc.

Always liked those prailine seashell sugar bombs, sugar, chic, hazelnut and some black magic way of mixing.  Lidl had half price the other week..I bought one and consumed all very quickly.  Glad I didn't buy anymore.

Side point, and other people have never heard of and so maybe I'm imagining/ false memory.  But when younger a bachelor relation died, very bon vivant.  Cigars, wine cellar distributed around.  But remember one thing in particular being mentioned a few times as in wtf by those who found in a drawer, guessing a gift or something...

Searched a few times online never a mention of it ever being a thing.  Still the memory is there, wonder if anybody heard of here?  (Sorry @sarahbell think the consensus at time or certainly now for me is a bit macabre.  

Figs are full of baby wasps..maybe it was fig in choclit..

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Have you got covid?   o.O

best chocolate is hotel chocolate. Waaay expensive so only a Christmas treat. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Have you got covid?   o.O

best chocolate is hotel chocolate. Waaay expensive so only a Christmas treat. 

Yes, I got given a large box (about two feet square) of those through a supplier one Christmas and dished them out in the office. Devine.

I checked up. They were a hundred quid for the box we got so should have been!

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

I think you can’t beat dairy milk..  If I was buying chocolate it would be that (or something made of that).

Alternatively get something where the taste is so strong that it masks the inferior quality of the chocolate..  my favourites being chocolate coated stem ginger or chocolate cherry liquors.

Not all Dairy Milk is made the same. The easter eggs still taste the same as ever but the bars are a bit rancid now. Strangely Freddo bars still taste the same too, as do those Wonderful Creations things. The only plausible explanation is that Dairy Milk has different recipes.

Just now, spunko said:

Not all Dairy Milk is made the same. The easter eggs still taste the same as ever but the bars are a bit rancid now. Strangely Freddo bars still taste the same too, as do those Wonderful Creations things. The only plausible explanation is that Dairy Milk has different recipes.

or is made in different countries / factories.

1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

The female wasp crawls inside through a hole so narrow that she loses her wings in the process and becomes trapped. If the fig is a male, she lays her eggs inside. These hatch into larvae that burrow out, turn into wasps and fly off, carrying fig pollen with them. If the wasp climbs into a female fig, she pollinates it, but cannot lay her eggs and just dies alone.

Someone alert the feminists.

Had a root  Products made by Cadbury in Ireland include Cadbury Dairy Milk Range, Cadbury Twirl, Cadbury Snacks Range Flake and Boost. Cadbury used to produce the Time Out bar in Ireland for the European market however this production was moved to Poland.

Cadbury Dairy Rancid Bars are made in Ireland.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

a lot of American Chocolate uses Butyric Acid to stabilise the milk.

Thats why it tastes like vomit.