DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How do I best get my WiFi in the house into my garage, cheaply?

Carl Fimble

Question

WiFi in the house doesn't really make it as as far as my garage and I'd really like it to. House insulation must be that foil backed shit, so almost like a Faraday cage, garage seems similar. Both have windows though, so my hope is that some some of WiFi extender thing might work if I put it in a window near the garage. Obviously running a cable would be best, but I've no time for that right now. One of those plug on extenders won't work as it's on a different circuit. 

Garage is only 5 metres from the house, and there's line of sight window to window, at a funny angle but still...

Hope you're all good, bit been on much partly through not being able to get my WiFi working at work. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Sp

13 answers to this question

Chewing Grass

Wifi repeater off ebay for a tenner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Range-Extender-Super-Booster-300Mbps-Superboost-Speed-Wireless-Repeater-o/174559093779

If it don't work it only cost diddly.

Mine seem to be great and as they are Chinese they seem to be more powerful as they are China Export not CE approved.

Signal is about 50% stronger than the Virgin Media wotsit.

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

I have a huge inglenook fireplace in the middle of my house that acts as a Faraday cage as well. In the end I had to buy 3-4 of those Tenda Wi-Fi mesh things off Amazon. They aren't cheap sadly but do work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Nova-Whole-Home-System/dp/B07D9CC637

They all beam the signal from one to the other.

In my case I had to line them up to go round the fireplace with a 'line of sight' setup, if that makes sense. I.e. no walls in between them.

• Cheers 1

If you don't have any joy with the wireless devices (I think should be fine) there's the option of the Homeplug type - one plug attached to router the other plugged into the mains where you want the extended signal, they work well too. Presuming you have mains power in garage as the signal  is transmitted across the mains cable.

5 hours ago, onlyme said:

If you don't have any joy with the wireless devices (I think should be fine) there's the option of the Homeplug type - one plug attached to router the other plugged into the mains where you want the extended signal, they work well too. Presuming you have mains power in garage as the signal  is transmitted across the mains cable.

I think they're on different circuits. The garage doesn't have a separate better, but it has it's own little consumer unit with trip switches. Not sure if that will allow it to transmit internet from the house.

44 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I think they're on different circuits. The garage doesn't have a separate better, but it has it's own little consumer unit with trip switches. Not sure if that will allow it to transmit internet from the house.

From what I remember, works best on the same circuit but does not definitely need to be either - a lot will depend on overall cabling length, after all the wiring is all effectively interconnected.  LIke I mentioned put it down as a second option if for some reason you have no joy with wireless.

• Cheers 1

I made one of these 3 years ago from scrap card and backed with foil, it works perfectly and still in use today.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/

At another location I used a USB extender cable so a USB wifi adapter could be located in a better spot.

Both those solutions are only good for if you have a fixed device (say a PC or laptop for home security) and where there is a weak signal. If there is no signal at all then obviously this will not work.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, invalid said:

I made one of these 3 years ago from scrap card and backed with foil, it works perfectly and still in use today.

At another location I used a USB extender cable so a USB wifi adapter could be located in a better spot.

Both those solutions are only good for if you have a fixed device (say a PC or laptop for home security) and where there is a weak signal. If there is no signal at all then obviously this will not work.

This is why I love DOSBODS.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yes, there's the problem. Personally I think these mains powered ethernet devices are not much good. Why not run an Ethernet cable from your router?

3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Well I disagree, they are the dog's bollocks.

We have three of them. One in the kitchen where the router is for the internet connection, a triple output one behind the telly for our streaming devices located there, and one upstairs in my mancave fed into an eight port switch for all of my gadgets.

It's Wi-fi that is shite, particularly for video streaming...

XYY

I think like everything it varies, if you have a device or two with  shit power supplies and duff noise  filtering then they can struggle, the S/N ratio drops markedly and even on same run if long won't work, all the way up to working great over a whole house regardless. Wireless you have different issues - house construction dominates. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Agreed.

Our house is a small but properly built one with bricks between rooms and not plasterboard, and with only one ring main throughout. Homeplugs would likely beat Wi-fi in any comparable property, especially given the competition with neighbouring properties for 2.4GHz bandwidth.

One thing I have noted is that my BT router has 5GHz Wi-fi capabilities, the best of which is that it can handle devices outside the official UK frequencies on that band. A dongle I bought for one of my PCs upstairs supports the higher channels, and it means I can connect without the interference from my neighbours that is common in densely populated streets with only so many channels to share. 

I'm on channel one-hundred and something which is above the UK frequencies - and that Wi-fi link is the most reliable radio connection in the entire house...

XYY

Might benefit from not having competition for signal strength in the same band from neighbouring devices.  Also could be being at the far end of the spectrum has better penetration through building.

• Informative 1

On 22/12/2020 at 21:00, invalid said:

That's the most horrible website I've seen for a long time. I guess it does the job if you know what you're looking for.

I got a plug in extended/repeater a couple of weeks ago. I can now log on to the wifi hotspot a couple of blocks away 80% of the time. €14 well spent. Might see if I can make a parabola for it and get the other 20%.