• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Carl Fimble

My first mobile phone

The "My first car" thread seems popular so I thought thought this one might be an idea which appealed too.

This was my first mobile phone, a NEC analog GSM handset :

002907_1.jpg

So big it stuck out of pockets, and had an aerial which you had to pull up if you wanted to use it. I was embarrassed to have it and so I used to hide up alleyways when making a call in public!

I'm having trouble finding a picture but it was a purple and grey Sony with an aerial like your picture Carl.  It was so chunky it was impractical to carry it so it lived in my glove compartment in case of breakdown.  This looks like it though the whole of the front was purple.

sony-cmd-j5.jpg

Edited by Frank Hovis

Oddly,   I don't think I've ever actually bought a phone in my life..

I used to get 2 year old ones my mates had discarded in favour of something new..  then when I started working I got a regular stream of company phones.

Because of that I can't remember very well what they were..  the first one I remember was a Nokia 7110, which came from a friend who had wanted the "Matrix Phone" with the drop down mouth piece.  I remember him raving about how great it was because it was "state of the art" with GPRS so you could go on the internet with it..   hmm.

Sure I had some other ones before that but I'll be damned if I can remember what they were.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Libspero

motorola_4500x.jpg

And I'm not kidding!

Slightly unwieldy in the office (and the subject of much piss-taking) but OK in the car when the only part you could see was the handset.....and it had a handsfree option as well!

29 minutes ago, Duck said:

motorola_4500x.jpg

And I'm not kidding!

Slightly unwieldy in the office (and the subject of much piss-taking) but OK in the car when the only part you could see was the handset.....and it had a handsfree option as well!

Guy I worked with had one of those which he used in the car plugged into the lighter socket; he said it gave noticeable car battery drain so he didn't use it much.

34 minutes ago, Duck said:

motorola_4500x.jpg

And I'm not kidding!

I also had one for work and carried it around in its own sports bag!

I remember struggling to get a signal even in central London. Late 80's?

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

The golf balls.  Local nimbys screeching when they went up and again when they came down.  Just cant please some people

My cuz works there.

He fathered a child which was a surprise to all.

1 hour ago, Captain Cavey said:

I also had one for work and carried it around in its own sports bag!

I remember struggling to get a signal even in central London. Late 80's?

Yes, probably '85 or '86 and the company car was an XR2i......I must have looked a complete pillock!

2 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

The "My first car" thread seems popular so I thought thought this one might be an idea which appealed too.

This was my first mobile phone, a NEC analog GSM handset :

002907_1.jpg

So big it stuck out of pockets, and had an aerial which you had to pull up if you wanted to use it. I was embarrassed to have it and so I used to hide up alleyways when making a call in public!

That was my first one as well 

In November 1999 I purchased a Motorola 3788 on Pay As You Go for  £49.99 on the 'One to One' network. I bought it from 'The Link' chain store (do they still exist?), walked to the counter and told the person what I wanted. Had to wait a while for a sales person to be free so that the sales transaction could go through.

image.jpeg.d19302adc9d3157478e00289d23b53f1.jpeg

It was a bloody great phone. I kept it for 3 years. Bought a leather case for it and the phone itself was like the 'Volvo' of mobile phones: whatever abuse you gave it, it would still work.

58 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

The classic 3310. Had some great seeds in barrels game on it (and snake). Also used to enjoy making my own ringtones on it.

Nokia-3310-640x353.png

Ha yes I had one of those too. Eventually I dropped it in a urinal, and it ceased working.

3 hours ago, Duck said:

motorola_4500x.jpg

And I'm not kidding!

For some reason mine was in the boot of the car and I had to stand at the back with the top hatch open when I needed to make a call which was basically never as I was generally never far away from a much more reliable landline. I seem to recall when they started installing the small antenna on the glass in the rear quarterlight that finally carphones became fairly usable.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You never really love another mobile phone quite like the way you loved your first one.

HTC Tytn 1, I think, rebranded to T-Mobile Vario was my most loved phone. Had some fold out keyboard Nokia thing before which aspired to internet enabled pocket computer status but was way behind the Vario which was really effective I even preferred the slide out keyboard to the iPhone. Never got on with a Blackberry.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You never really love lug another mobile phone quite like the way you loved lugged your first one.

I had to lug one of these bricks around for work.

1800.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Not so much a brick; more a breeze-block.

Edited by Happy Renting