DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Videos on the internet - TV programmes and films

This was going to be a reply to @mooncat69 on another thread but not enough people would see it.

His posting was about Blake's 7 hence my using that as an example.  I am here referring to TV shows and films for videos and not new political commentary which we already know will continue on BitChute even if blocked / shadow-banned / demonetised on YouTube.

There are two things you should know about videos on the internet (unless you do already, several will).

Do not assume that video = YouTube.  There are several good sites out there in addition to YouTube.  YouTube is always the fastest to take down content or to require it to be shown at a quarter size against a moving background to avoid being taken down.

If you search under videos for a series or film through Google you will find that Google hugely suppresses non-YouTube videos.  You will think that your programme or film isn't freely available when it actually is but Google isn't telling you about it.

As an example here is a video search for "blakes 7" on Duckduckgo contrasted with Google.

Duckduckgo:

image.thumb.png.22f410b37bceecab2cb6188daf13ff2a.png

You will note that the majority of episodes are on Daily Motion.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=blakes+7&atb=v97-1&iax=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymotion.com%2Fvideo%2Fx2zuvc6&ia=videos

Whereas on a Google search you get:

image.thumb.png.acdc9e046a808b626e275e2172c6b98c.png

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blakes+7&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVy7aAmeHtAhWdaRUIHRbwAb0Q_AUoAXoECBIQAw&biw=1920&bih=910

On Google Daily Motion is suppressed, YouTube highlighted and the results pretty rubbish. 

This is the case across the board: I picked Blake's 7 purely because it was the subject of the post.

The videos that I used to watch were about 90% YouTube but since I have realised how Google and YouTube operate I am maybe down to 40% YouTube and that mostly new content.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Incredibly helpful Frank.  

Maybe a goid addition, from both you and others would be links to good non-YouTube video sites

Daily Motion and Vimeo seem to have the most but I recently watched The Firm (original Alan Clarke 1988) on a Russian site.

The best way by far is to go via the Duckduckgo video search; a video site is only good if it has the programme, film or play that you want to watch.

I'm amazed by the low view figures on Daily Motion; it's as though it's a secret site.

1 hour ago, highbot said:

Streaming is nice and convenient when it works but I always end up going back to bittorrent.  It's worth learning to use if you haven't tried it.

The Pirate Bay indexes most things I look for though I think a lot of ISPs block it.

https://thepiratebay.org/index.html

I'm the opposite. Streaming, even for free, is so easy these days I can't see why anyone would download stuff. Plus it's illegal (even if they've given up any pretence of caring, why take the risk?).

1 minute ago, LC1 said:

I'm the opposite. Streaming, even for free, is so easy these days I can't see why anyone would download stuff. Plus it's illegal (even if they've given up any pretence of caring, why take the risk?).

I don't think I've ever downloaded any videos; even stuff I will watch several times like Morse and Wycliffe is always going to be available to stream somewhere and I'm not charged by usage for my broadband.

I've heard of Pirate Bay and similar but really struggle to see the point of them unless it's for very recent films and there is little recent that I wish to watch.

There are so many streaming sites that have hundreds of titles including new releases (e.g. 123movies, yesmovies, streamlord etc.) no need to download. Sometimes the newest are cinema handycam, but these soon get replaced with decent rips (though don't expect HD). And as long as you use a decent browser with adblocker (e.g Firefox with ublock origin), then they are interruption-free. Though I also pay for Netflix and Amazon prime, I often find myself using those for a better range of decent movies/TV series.

7 minutes ago, LC1 said:

While true so are those videos hosted on Daily Motion.

Difference is Google don't promote the illegal activity, DuckDuck go does.

That's not making a moral judgement about it and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think I've ever downloaded any videos; even stuff I will watch several times like Morse and Wycliffe is always going to be available to stream somewhere and I'm not charged by usage for my broadband.

I've heard of Pirate Bay and similar but really struggle to see the point of them unless it's for very recent films and there is little recent that I wish to watch.

You might get a surprise if you visit the pirate bay.

I have downloaded many 1940s,50s and 60s titles. I'm on my tablet now so don't have a full list in front of me, but when I'm on my PC later, I'll post it on here.

Recently I downloaded The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. It was a 1080p Bluray rip that looked stunning, and last week someone on here mentioned Black Narcissus and I got a very nice 720p rip of that.

Others I can recall are the British "kitchen sink" dramas from the early sixties which I love. Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, Room At The Top, A Taste of Honey.

Bittorrents need "seeders" - folk who have the full files on their machine - and individual slices are downloaded one piece at a time by "leechers".

As a rule of thumb, the more seeders, the faster the download will be but it doesn't always pan out that way. There must be at least one seeder in the "swarm", or you can't get the full file.

XYY

5 minutes ago, gilf said:

While true so are those videos hosted on Daily Motion.

Are you sure? Can you link to some kind of official source for that?

Not being a dick, I'm genuinely interested if you can. As I understand it, the EU tested this in a court case and the ruling was that unless it's on your hard drive you aren't committing any crime with regards to piracy legislation, as currently written.

But funnily enough it is really difficult to find anything online that confirms this, seems like it was effectively memory-holed. What you do find however is lots of articles with unqualified talking heads who kindly remind us all that streaming content you haven't paid for is strictly illegal (moral question of that aside) whilst conveniently failing to provide any reference or source to back up the assertion. Almost as if, after failing to win the legal case, the industry paid "journalists" to spread that rumour :)

13 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Not being a dick, I'm genuinely interested if you can. As I understand it, the EU tested this in a court case and the ruling was that unless it's on your hard drive you aren't committing any crime with regards to piracy legislation, as currently written.

But funnily enough it is really difficult to find anything online that confirms this, seems like it was effectively memory-holed. What you do find however is lots of articles with unqualified talking heads who kindly remind us all that streaming content you haven't paid for is strictly illegal (moral question of that aside) whilst conveniently failing to provide any reference or source to back up the assertion. Almost as if, after failing to win the legal case, the industry paid "journalists" to spread that rumour :)

They probably represent breach of copyright but if they have an extremely minor impact then who is going to bother to  bring a case in the civil courts?  

I'm sure that they would for the new James Bond but a thirty year old episode of Inspector Morse - why would they?

Pretty much every episode, I actually think every episode, of Count Arthur Strong's radio show was on YouTube up to a month ago when they were all taken down which I think related to there being a couple of new episodes being broadcast - one a few weeks ago and one on Christmas Day - which might trigger some CD sales or downloads. 

Generally though is anybody going to be really bothered about a forty year old episode of Dad's Army being available on a video site; I can't see how that would affect anyone's revenues.

25 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I didn't want to get in to the legal argument, so was a little vague sorry.

But yes from an EU perspective yes you can watch them, but you can't download them (even then it's debatable). What you definitely can't do is the share them, the issue with downloading via a torrent is that the whole process hangs on you sharing as you download, you can set it up to stop this happening but that's not really in the spirit of a torrent.

However in the UK it would have come under the shelved Digital Economies Act 2010, that never got passed but we have the 2017 version waiting in the wings, although I've not read through all of that.

So I'm onboard with your very good advice.

However they are hosted illegally*, which is what I was getting at. So you are not doing something wrong but somebody is. I suppose it's the equivalent of buying a £1 T-shirt that's used exploitative child labour, just depends where you moral compass sits (to be clear mine doesn't sit anywhere near it).

Of course this is all a bit of a mine field because it's trying to shoe horn in to current law a situation that didn't exist when it was written.

Personally, it depends how you look at it but if you watch those videos you are potentially depriving somebody of revenue. You could make the legitimate argument that you are not because you would never have paid for it in the first place. I justify it in this explicit case that I've paid a TV licence fee for X number of years and so I've personally funded the making of that program, if not me directly as I wasn't old enough, but collectively as a nation those programs are ours.

Another example along the same lines is I've downloaded all of the X-Files (as an example), if plod came knocking they are free to root around in the loft and find the hard copies I have already paid for.

EDIT : just to elaborate a little on the last bits, it's pretty normal legal standing that you are committing an offence if you purchase stolen goods, it's not much of a stretch to imagine that they might do similar with illegally hosted material.

* I'm talking about those Blake 7 videos specifically but it's essentially true for content being discussed.

Edited by gilf
3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

As promised. A DOS dir command on my "films" directory - with anything made before 2001 removed.

Some are fairly difficult to get hold of, but the Pirate Bay rarely fails for me...

12 Angry Men 1957 720p BluRay
12 Monkeys 1995
633 Squadron 1964
A Bridge Too Far 1977
A Kind Of Loving
A Taste Of Honey
All About Eve 1950 720p
Anatomy Of A Murder 1959
And Justice for All 1979 720p
Assault on Precinct 13 1976 1080p
Borstal Boy [Peter Sheridan - 2000]
Braveheart
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia 1974 720p
Capricorn One
Casablanca 1942
Dante's Peak 1997 720p
Dawn of the Dead 1978
Day of the Dead 1985 1080p
Dead Alive aKa Braindead 1992 720p
dead heat 1988
Deep Impact 1998 1080p
Dirty Harry 1080p
Dolemite 1975 720p
Dracula A.D. 1972
Earthquake 1974 1080p
Enter The Dragon 1973 1080p
Fantastic Voyage 1966 1080p
Fat City 1972
Fort Apache, The Bronx 1981
Glengarry Glen Ross 1992 720p
Goodfellas 1990 REMASTERED 1080p
Great Balls Of Fire 1989 720p
Harry Palmer Collection
I Want to Live! 1958 720p
If.... 1968 720p
In Cold Blood 1967 REMASTERED 1080p
In The Name Of The Father 1993 720p
Inherit the Wind 1960 1080p
Internal Affairs 1990
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 1080p
Kelly's Heroes 1970 720p
Last Exit to Brooklyn 1989 720p
Life at the Top 1965
Magnum Force 1973
Nemesis 1992 1080p
Nineteen Eighty-Four 1984 1080p
No Surrender
Once Upon a Time in America 1984 Extended Directors Cut 1080p
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest 1975 1080p
Outbreak 1995 1080p
Paths of Glory 1957 1080p
Psychomania 1973
Reach for the Sky 1956 720p
Rear Window 1954 1080p
Roadhouse 1989 1080p
Robbery
Rocky II 1979
Rollerball 1975 1080p
Room at the Top 1959 720p
Saturday Night Sunday Morning 1960 720p
Scarface 1983 1080p
Serpico 1973 720p
Slap Shot 1977
Sleepers 1996
Soylent Green 1973 1080p
Starship Troopers 1997 1080p
Taxi Driver 1976 720p
The Andromeda Strain 1971 1080p
The Blues Brothers Exteneded Cut 1980 1080p
The Bonfire Of The Vanities 1990 1080p
The Boys From Brazil 1978 720p
The Cincinnati Kid 1965
The Commitments 1991 720p
The Conversation 1974 720p
The Day The Earth Caught Fire
The DEVILS 1971 720p
The Dirty Dozen 1967 720p
The Exorcist 1973 720p
The Fifth Element 1997 REMASTERED 1080p
The Great Escape 1963 720p
The Last Man on Earth 1964 1080p
The Leather Boys 1964
The Legend Of Hell House 1973 720p
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner 1962 720p
The Long Good Friday 1980 1080p
The Manchurian Candidate 1962 720p
The Night of the Generals 1967 1080p
The Odessa File 1974 720p
The Offence 1972
The Omega Man 1971 720p
The Paradine Case 1947
The Poseidon Adventure 1972 1080p
The Quiet Earth 1985 720p
The Satan Bug 1965 1080p
The Shining 1980
The Snapper 1993 720p
The Untouchables 1987 1080p
The War of the Worlds 1953 720p
The World, the Flesh and the Devil 1959
They Live
Three Days of the Condor 1975 Bluray 1080p
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot 1974 720p
Timecop 1994 720p
Tora! Tora! Tora! Extended Ed 1970 1080p
Twister 1996 1080p
Under Siege 1992
Videodrome 1983 1080p
Volcano 1997 1080p
Waynes World 1992 720p
Waynes World 2 1993 720p2017 720p
Westworld
Witness for the Prosecution 1957 1080p
X The Man with the X Ray Eyes 1963 1080p
Yankee Doodle Dandy 1942

XYY

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This was going to be a reply to @mooncat69 on another thread but not enough people would see it.

His posting was about Blake's 7 hence my using that as an example.  I am here referring to TV shows and films for videos and not new political commentary which we already know will continue on BitChute even if blocked / shadow-banned / demonetised on YouTube.

There are two things you should know about videos on the internet (unless you do already, several will).

Do not assume that video = YouTube.  There are several good sites out there in addition to YouTube.  YouTube is always the fastest to take down content or to require it to be shown at a quarter size against a moving background to avoid being taken down.

If you search under videos for a series or film through Google you will find that Google hugely suppresses non-YouTube videos.  You will think that your programme or film isn't freely available when it actually is but Google isn't telling you about it.

As an example here is a video search for "blakes 7" on Duckduckgo contrasted with Google.

Duckduckgo:

image.thumb.png.22f410b37bceecab2cb6188daf13ff2a.png

You will note that the majority of episodes are on Daily Motion.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=blakes+7&atb=v97-1&iax=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymotion.com%2Fvideo%2Fx2zuvc6&ia=videos

Whereas on a Google search you get:

image.thumb.png.acdc9e046a808b626e275e2172c6b98c.png

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blakes+7&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVy7aAmeHtAhWdaRUIHRbwAb0Q_AUoAXoECBIQAw&biw=1920&bih=910

On Google Daily Motion is suppressed, YouTube highlighted and the results pretty rubbish. 

This is the case across the board: I picked Blake's 7 purely because it was the subject of the post.

The videos that I used to watch were about 90% YouTube but since I have realised how Google and YouTube operate I am maybe down to 40% YouTube and that mostly new content.

Does the indexof search still work for searching for movies? 

E.g indexof movies 2019

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

And not forgetting my "3D movies" folder:

Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954 3D 1080p
Gog 1954 3D

Or my "TV Shows" directory:

Quatermass III Serial (John Mills)
Secret Army BBC
Star Trek original series
Survivors BBC 1974
UFO TV Series (1969-70)

XYY

8 minutes ago, Shamus said:

Does the indexof search still work for searching for movies? 

E.g indexof movies 2019

I haven't heard of it.

My searching for alternatives to YouTube came about because a few years ago it had loads on it that I wanted to watch but much of that has been taken down as it has focused upon original content in its place.

This has changed the very essence of YouTube from being without question the number one video site on the internet to something more niche which isn't what I want most of the time.

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

As promised. A DOS dir command on my "films" directory - with anything made before 2001 removed.

Some are fairly difficult to get hold of, but the Pirate Bay rarely fails for me...

12 Angry Men 1957 720p BluRay
12 Monkeys 1995
633 Squadron 1964
A Bridge Too Far 1977
A Kind Of Loving
A Taste Of Honey
All About Eve 1950 720p
Anatomy Of A Murder 1959
And Justice for All 1979 720p
Assault on Precinct 13 1976 1080p
Borstal Boy [Peter Sheridan - 2000]
Braveheart
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia 1974 720p
Capricorn One
Casablanca 1942
Dante's Peak 1997 720p
Dawn of the Dead 1978
Day of the Dead 1985 1080p
Dead Alive aKa Braindead 1992 720p
dead heat 1988
Deep Impact 1998 1080p
Dirty Harry 1080p
Dolemite 1975 720p
Dracula A.D. 1972
Earthquake 1974 1080p
Enter The Dragon 1973 1080p
Fantastic Voyage 1966 1080p
Fat City 1972
Fort Apache, The Bronx 1981
Glengarry Glen Ross 1992 720p
Goodfellas 1990 REMASTERED 1080p
Great Balls Of Fire 1989 720p
Harry Palmer Collection
I Want to Live! 1958 720p
If.... 1968 720p
In Cold Blood 1967 REMASTERED 1080p
In The Name Of The Father 1993 720p
Inherit the Wind 1960 1080p
Internal Affairs 1990
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 1080p
Kelly's Heroes 1970 720p
Last Exit to Brooklyn 1989 720p
Life at the Top 1965
Magnum Force 1973
Nemesis 1992 1080p
Nineteen Eighty-Four 1984 1080p
No Surrender
Once Upon a Time in America 1984 Extended Directors Cut 1080p
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest 1975 1080p
Outbreak 1995 1080p
Paths of Glory 1957 1080p
Psychomania 1973
Reach for the Sky 1956 720p
Rear Window 1954 1080p
Roadhouse 1989 1080p
Robbery
Rocky II 1979
Rollerball 1975 1080p
Room at the Top 1959 720p
Saturday Night Sunday Morning 1960 720p
Scarface 1983 1080p
Serpico 1973 720p
Slap Shot 1977
Sleepers 1996
Soylent Green 1973 1080p
Starship Troopers 1997 1080p
Taxi Driver 1976 720p
The Andromeda Strain 1971 1080p
The Blues Brothers Exteneded Cut 1980 1080p
The Bonfire Of The Vanities 1990 1080p
The Boys From Brazil 1978 720p
The Cincinnati Kid 1965
The Commitments 1991 720p
The Conversation 1974 720p
The Day The Earth Caught Fire
The DEVILS 1971 720p
The Dirty Dozen 1967 720p
The Exorcist 1973 720p
The Fifth Element 1997 REMASTERED 1080p
The Great Escape 1963 720p
The Last Man on Earth 1964 1080p
The Leather Boys 1964
The Legend Of Hell House 1973 720p
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner 1962 720p
The Long Good Friday 1980 1080p
The Manchurian Candidate 1962 720p
The Night of the Generals 1967 1080p
The Odessa File 1974 720p
The Offence 1972
The Omega Man 1971 720p
The Paradine Case 1947
The Poseidon Adventure 1972 1080p
The Quiet Earth 1985 720p
The Satan Bug 1965 1080p
The Shining 1980
The Snapper 1993 720p
The Untouchables 1987 1080p
The War of the Worlds 1953 720p
The World, the Flesh and the Devil 1959
They Live
Three Days of the Condor 1975 Bluray 1080p
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot 1974 720p
Timecop 1994 720p
Tora! Tora! Tora! Extended Ed 1970 1080p
Twister 1996 1080p
Under Siege 1992
Videodrome 1983 1080p
Volcano 1997 1080p
Waynes World 1992 720p
Waynes World 2 1993 720p2017 720p
Westworld
Witness for the Prosecution 1957 1080p
X The Man with the X Ray Eyes 1963 1080p
Yankee Doodle Dandy 1942

XYY

Eclectic.

The Conversation is a very good film. Love Gene Hackman.

6 minutes ago, eight said:

Eclectic.

The Conversation is a very good film. Love Gene Hackman.

Me too.

He was apparently a bit of cunt to work with, but I can't name a film he's been in that was shite.

(Anticipates the avalanche of shite Gene Hackman movies hurled in my face...)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

The media companies want everyone using streaming. DVD's are rapidly disappearing. Lots of films are no longer possible to buy. If you like a certain series then it is best to get hold of it now on DVD otherwise you might be paying per view to watch it in future.

Television is going to become very expensive once there are just 3 or 4 streamers. Netflix, Amazon and who will the others be? Disney? CBS is fecked? HBO got fecked by allowing GOT to be trashed when it had plans to be the GOT streamer for the next 10 years.