DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Shortage of goods, supply chain issues

Sugarlips

Having not been able to buy any wrapping paper or Christmas crackers for the kids anywhere in a 5 mile radius today I thought I’d start a thread for evidence of disruption to supply chains.

Yes it’s Dec 23rd (I’m a bloke) but normally I can’t move around the malls here without knocking over boxes of xmas tat til we’ll into Jan - it’s literally all sold out here, or they were under supplied.

For all the hysteria about the world shutting Team GB out this week has anyone actually been denied the purchase of an iceberg lettuce or fromage frais?

No problems here in Cornwall.

It seems to happen in high density cities where the supermarkets are much busier but also much smaller owing to land prices.

This means that they hold less stock, are more quickly cleared out, and are reliant upon more frequent deliveries.

• Informative 2

13 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

If you want to know why the world is fucked it is because humanity grow a food crop that is 96% water and has virtually no nutritional value then transport it hundreds of miles by lorry across international borders to shops that sell it to people who put it in the fridge and then throw it away after a couple of days because no one really likes it and it’s now past its best by date.

Bread, lurpak, chicken, iceberg lettuce, salad cream, bread.

Heaven 😄

• Agree 1

If you are a retailer with a mountain of unsellable junk that you have not been able to unload for love nor money now is your opportunity to get shot of it. Just get the media to run stories that crappy product X or Y is going to be unobtainable shortly due to Covid/Brexit and just wait for lemming like consumers to rush to clear it off the shelves. 

• Agree 3
  • Lol 3

51 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Having not been able to buy any wrapping paper or Christmas crackers

We have the Christmas crackers. MIL bought them in the sale last year. 

Wrapping paper we are also strangely not in need of. We are not buying any presents for anyone. 

• Lol 2

Redland roof tiles, always out of stock, when you can get them ordered in they are not cured (they need to stand for a while out of the oven to harden up), then when they are transported a whole load of them broken.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Redland roof tiles, always out of stock, when you can get them ordered in they are not cured (they need to stand for a while out of the oven to harden up), then when they are transported a whole load of them broken.

Christ, what dare I ask do you spoilt them with for their birthday?

• Lol 5

Yadda yadda yadda
52 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Having not been able to buy any wrapping paper or Christmas crackers for the kids anywhere in a 5 mile radius today I thought I’d start a thread for evidence of disruption to supply chains.

Yes it’s Dec 23rd (I’m a bloke) but normally I can’t move around the malls here without knocking over boxes of xmas tat til we’ll into Jan - it’s literally all sold out here, or they were under supplied.

For all the hysteria about the world shutting Team GB out this week has anyone actually been denied the purchase of an iceberg lettuce or fromage frais?

Plenty of food in south London. Prices marked down at least since yesterday. Don't know about wrapping paper, as I have enough to last next year at least, but it is all printed in this country on great big machines that can do 600 metres per minute on double width paper. They'll be working on next year's by now. I'd guess smaller Christmases mean less is needed too.

Yadda yadda yadda
5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

We have the Christmas crackers. MIL bought them in the sale last year. 

Wrapping paper we are also strangely not in need of. We are not buying any presents for anyone. 

There are loads of crackers in Sainsbury's. Both pulling and eating.

• Agree 1

Just now, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Plenty of food in south London. Prices marked down at least since yesterday. Don't know about wrapping paper, as I have enough to last next year at least, but it is all printed in this country on great big machines that can do 600 metres per minute on double width paper. They'll be working on next year's by now. I'd guess smaller Christmases mean less is needed too.

And online shopping means the gifter/giftee (?) doesn’t get to see the present before it is gifted. 9 times out of 10 I’m guessing people don’t bother paying extra at the virtual checkout for wrapping.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Christ, what dare I ask do you spoilt them with for their birthday?

It becomes more meaningful when you have a hole in the roof. :D

Yes, it is wrapped, but PITA.

Yadda yadda yadda
1 minute ago, Sugarlips said:

And online shopping means the gifter/giftee (?) doesn’t get to see the present before it is gifted. 9 times out of 10 I’m guessing people don’t bother paying extra at the virtual checkout for wrapping.

Probably more kids getting cash from relatives this year.

1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

I’ve just been asked if I’ve got any spare but I’m assuming the person is to tight to buy any just sent them this pic and I got back not sure if that’s enough im thinking wtf u wrapping a transit van there’s 4 rolls and off cuts there 

8DF9E6AB-C551-4EE7-9C05-20A6A00F8359.jpeg

Edited by stokiescum
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

1 hour ago, eight said:

Mrs. E couldn't get any ginger for my whiskey and ginger. Mind, she only tried one shop.

Barley wine was the tough one for my mum this year it was babycham last year which reminds me I’ve still got bottles of bucks fizz to drink my dick mate says don’t worry I will get you some there’s loads in leek Sainsbury’s 

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Ginger...? Fucking ginger...!!!

Ginger is for........wait for it.......it's coming........on the vinegar stroke......POOFS...!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking sacrilege putting that shite in whisky mind....

XYY

Some of us have to dilute it. We're not all YOU, you know.

Austin Allegro

I can see that there might be some panic buying of Christmas stuff due to the last minute changes in plans forced by the government's latest diktat.

But I find it incredible that any other kind of panic buying should be taking place. Didn't anyone learn about the need to have a good stock of food laid in, back in March?

Obviously not. Guvvament's job to look after us, innit.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I can see that there might be some panic buying of Christmas stuff due to the last minute changes in plans forced by the government's latest diktat.

But I find it incredible that any other kind of panic buying should be taking place. Didn't anyone learn about the need to have a good stock of food laid in, back in March?

Obviously not. Guvvament's job to look after us, innit.

Depends on finances, storage space, size of household (number of people and/or fatty over-eaters), etc.

• Agree 1

unregistered_guest

Can I just point out, for the benefit of anyone who gets cornered by a member of the Brexitgeddon brigade this festive season...

...that those of us in Euroland have experienced similar supply-chain issues (presumably due to Covid), both in the first Lockdown period and this one.

Blaming Brexit for your inability to purchase %item_x% and having to make do with %item_y% instead is disingenuous at best. It also betrays a willful ignorance of what life is like in Europe.

• Agree 5