DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Shortage of goods, supply chain issues

Sugarlips

Just now, unregistered_guest said:

Can I just point out, for the benefit of anyone who gets cornered by a member of the Brexitgeddon brigade this festive season...

...that those of us in Euroland have experienced similar supply-chain issues (presumably due to Covid), both in the first Lockdown period and this one.

Blaming Brexit for your inability to purchase %item_x% and having to make do with %item_y% instead is disingenuous at best. It also betrays a willful ignorance of what life is like in Europe.

We'll blame Brexit or the French. Which would you prefer?

• Lol 1

I seriously doubt there will be a shortage of food. There might be a shortage of a particular item that you wanted, but that often happens, especially when Nigella bungs it in a recipe.

Oddly, this might make us more European. Go shopping, see what is available and good and then make a meal around it. Rather than planning leg of lamb with asparagus in November.

• Agree 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2020 at 21:51, Wight Flight said:

I seriously doubt there will be a shortage of food. There might be a shortage of a particular item that you wanted, but that often happens, especially when Nigella bungs it in a recipe.

Oddly, this might make us more European. Go shopping, see what is available and good and then make a meal around it. Rather than planning leg of lamb with asparagus in November.

Coconut milk apparently thin on the ground.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, eight said:

That's weird -- my wife said on the weekend that there was no coconut milk available anywhere.

[I asked if there weren't any coconuts available instead, but only got a harsh stare in reply.]

9 minutes ago, eight said:

Thats what happens when you pour it on the floor. It disperses.

I'm here all week Ladies and Gentlemen.

• Lol 6

sarahbell
11 minutes ago, dgul said:

That's weird -- my wife said on the weekend that there was no coconut milk available anywhere.

[I asked if there weren't any coconuts available instead, but only got a harsh stare in reply.]

Buy the powdered stuff. 

32 minutes ago, eight said:

No problem in jockland. 

And it all comes from outside the EU anyway so if there are issues it's nothing to do with the DEADLY Brexit. 

• Agree 2

Snowfire ointment sticks. I have no idea why. We just had to order some from a chemist in Ireland, nothing anywhere else.

working woman

I have a couple of tins of coconut milk in my cupboard from the last lockdown.

At the time everyone was panic buying tins of chopped tomatoes. There was plenty of coconut milk though so instead of pasta sauces, I decided to cook Thai chicken currys instead. 

It became a bit of a running joke with one of my neighbours who started to leave tins of coconut milk outside my front door.

I will be gutted if there is a shortage of coconut milk now as I love Thai currys. 

My other half is off to the supermarket now and I have asked him to see what the stocks are like.

I'm making Moroccan Veg Tagine tonight - a great way to use up veg that needs eating.  

• Agree 1

MrLibertyRedux
On 23/12/2020 at 21:51, Wight Flight said:

That's what I did in the spring. Quite good, made me try new recipes and lots of things I wouldn't usually eat.

10 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

That's what I did in the spring. Quite good, made me try new recipes and lots of things I wouldn't usually eat.

Next door's spaniel?

• Cheers 1

Family member in Sainsburys on Tuesday. Late on in afternoon. Bugger all to buy apparently. 

sainos1.jpeg

11 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

My one-pan staples have been:

-Can of chicken in white sauce or stewed steak.

-Fresh (broccoli, cauliflower) or frozen mixed veg

-Then a selection from fresh ginger, turmeric, black pepper, garlic, nduja di spilinga, mixed herbs.

-Heaped teaspoon of salt.

Great chef me...

tenor.gif

• Lol 6

7 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Great chef me...

Good luck tossing a sliced pizza, you obvious fucking charlatan.

sarahbell
29 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Family member in Sainsburys on Tuesday. Late on in afternoon. Bugger all to buy apparently. 

sainos1.jpeg

Got someone on FB in Southern Ireland bitching they have nothing on the shelves and blaming brexit.

4 hours ago, eight said:

Good luck tossing a sliced pizza, you obvious fucking charlatan.

Sorry I'll leave that to you...

Treat meal tonight.

DSC_0058.thumb.JPG.da19e725ccd34bae0623b2d988553605.JPG

King Penda
4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Got someone on FB in Southern Ireland bitching they have nothing on the shelves and blaming brexit.

Can we go panic buying yet again ffs.I’m running out of space

• Agree 1

unregistered_guest
15 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

You need to start a bizarre rumour first. Like: the fate of the EU's mango harvest. Because of Covid, the French have realised that they need to supplement their population's diet with foods with a high vitamin C content.

This has resulted in a number of armed Romanian gangs in the Calais area halting lorries and stealing their precious orange-fleshed fruit to sell on the black market elsewhere in France.

This has resulted in a shortage of the things making it across the channel. The French have a phrase for this: "Les Mangues manquantes de la Manche". So, if you see a mango in the shops, buy it - in fact, buy the whole box and resell them individually on eBay for twenty quid each!

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Austin Allegro
6 hours ago, Kilham said:

Snowfire ointment sticks. I have no idea why. We just had to order some from a chemist in Ireland, nothing anywhere else.

I had bad eczema as a teenager (bad enough to have to go to hospital consultations). I was given all sorts of creams and ointments.

The only thing that made much difference was Snowfire, and that was recommended by my father who remembered it as an old fashioned cure-all from the 1930s.

• Informative 3

King Penda
On 23/12/2020 at 17:47, unregistered_guest said:

It also betrays a willful ignorance of what life is like in Europe.

I’d guess Europe’s full of foreign fuckers like Britain is

unregistered_guest
16 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I’d guess Europe’s full of foreign fuckers like Britain is

Oh it's worse. Because you also get little Englanders complaining that you can't get a decent British meal like chicken tikka masala anywhere. And that the local cheese and sausages are all crap.

What's funniest though is that the ones who moan loudest voted for Remain!

• Lol 1

King Penda
2 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Oh it's worse. Because you also get little Englanders complaining that you can't get a decent British meal like chicken tikka masala anywhere. And that the local cheese and sausages are all crap.

What's funniest though is that the ones who moan loudest voted for Remain!

Well I know a guy with a villa in Spain that voted brexit I’m not kidding.he used to come home for a month in summer has it was to hot and a few weeks at Xmas.

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

Another £130 delivery from Tesco today. Completely unnecessary 40 tinned produce but I couldn't just order the five litres of Tesco's voddy on its own

1 minute ago, Stuey said:

Edited by Stuey
  • Agree 2
  • Lol 1

Chewing Grass
7 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Completely unnecessary 40 tinned produce but I couldn't just order the five litres of Tesco's voddy on its own

Wodka and Tinned Hot Dogs?