DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Shortage of goods, supply chain issues

Sugarlips

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

I am only saying it how I knew him for several years.

He was one on my top customers, always paid on time and was a genuine guy to deal with.

Of course he may have changed.

you had something he needed.

I judge people by how they treat people they don't need.  On that grounds, Shapps is a cunt.

• Agree 6

7 hours ago, Upsettah said:

Drivers will be able to get a licence to drive an articulated vehicle without first getting one for a smaller vehicle, making around 20,000 more HGV driving tests available every y

That sounds sensible to me. There's a bit of a knack of driving with a trailer. A van is just a van.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

I am only saying it how I knew him for several years.

He was one on my top customers, always paid on time and was a genuine guy to deal with.

Of course he may have changed.

He's painted how the media paint him. And the mandarins have a hand on the brush.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

Ouch. This energy malarky and gas shortage has already hit real pricing. The coal is back on.

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/13/britain-last-coal-power-stations-to-be-paid-huge-sums-to-keep-lights-on-record-energy-prices

Good! Coal is excellent. Subliminally advertised by the PC CGI reburp of Thomas the Tank Engine

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Ina said:

Just back from Aldi.   Had a natter with the lad on the till. Right now people are panic buying meat - canned, frozen and fresh and also bread.

I was in aldi this morning and the fresh meat section was very sparsely stocked but no other shortages.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

32 minutes ago, Ina said:

Just back from Aldi.   Had a natter with the lad on the till. Right now people are panic buying meat - canned, frozen and fresh and also bread.

It's as if they know something bad is due this winter and they want everyone to have a stockpile.

Solar Minimum, at a guess.

• Agree 2

Watch out for the woe is me entitled brigade and the SJW brigade . If food & fuel is The Only Way is Up .Awaits Rishis autumn statement. 

If there is as many vacancies job wise as we are led to believe. The DWP need to crack on.

• Informative 1

ashestoashes
24 minutes ago, Stuey said:

It's as if they know something bad is due this winter and they want everyone to have a stockpile.

Solar Minimum, at a guess.

solar minimum is due next cycle, it's the weakening magnetic field that is allowing things from space in that could lead to harsh winters/springs or does something that impacts harvests, maybe it's a China financial collapse

• Informative 1

On 10/09/2021 at 20:05, Upsettah said:

Interesting development. 

The piece of shit calling itself 'Grant Shapps' seems to be suggesting that people will be able to go straight for an artic licence rather than have to initially pass a test for a large rigid vehicle, like back in days of yore when things were 'sensible'. 

Clarification is still probably needed, of course. 

Driver shortage: 50,000 more HGV driving tests promised a year - BBC News

"Drivers will be able to get a licence to drive an articulated vehicle without first getting one for a smaller vehicle, making around 20,000 more HGV driving tests available every year."

I've got to concede right now, this is probably more than those of us in the industry dared hope for. 

If we could just have some cream on the cake here, and announce the abandonment of the ridiculous 'CPC' for ALL drivers - not just lorry drivers - but bus and coach drivers too - then I'm going to have to do something which I thought I'd never see myself doing, which is saying "well done" to a tory transport minister.

Is this really a good thing? Truckers seem to be against this, along with the companies. 

Most companies are stating they will refuse to hire these people, can you imagine the average driver driving these things?

Reversing and traversing tight spaces will have massive increases in casualties, many being deaths due to the size of the vehicles. 

There are over 70,000 fully licensed and legal lorry drivers in the UK, might be worth looking at why they are choosing either not to work or choose another job before making it a less skilled job and reducing wages further. 

For one example if the load is slightly over but they're told by their boss to hurry up and just get on with it as they've already checked when it was going on... Multiple £x,000 fines if checked.

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

My local supermarket meat shelves all bare. Looks the panic is back. Marvellous! Looking forward to Vegan December!

Me too, I've got so many recipes for vegans that I have been itching to try.

Just remember the younger they are the less heavy metals and other pollutants but keep in mind you need some meat off them so you might want to feed the skinny ones up with corn and chocolate for a while.

If you want wagu style make sure you massage them with butter daily during the fattening process.

• Lol 7

Luckily we can weather the storm through any price increases. Hubby is good at getting the best deals re gas & electric and media packages. House insurance due soon so will review. Tonight I made cottage pie and I needed to use all the potatoes I had including sweet potatoes. The mash that’s left over I will make a soup for lunch tomorrow. Thrifty Scot at work again.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 4

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Volcanic said:

Luckily we can weather the storm through any price increases. Hubby is good at getting the best deals re gas & electric and media packages. House insurance due soon so will review. Tonight I made cottage pie and I needed to use all the potatoes I had including sweet potatoes. The mash that’s left over I will make a soup for lunch tomorrow. Thrifty Scot at work again.

Sweet potato mash on a shepherd's pie is great.

Even better if you make a lamb keema matar as the base. One of our favourites.

• Informative 1

No expert but the rise in all this ADHD + other issues could it be due to nutrition? My granddaughters were breast fed and weaned on the likes of avocados, broccoli, peanut butter and various Chinese meals as imported goods expensive.The Chinese do not recognise such issues.

One of the best videos is the oldest of trying chopsticks.

My brother and I were raised on typical Scottish food. Porridge in the winter , soups,  stews, fish and selection of various vegetables.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Lightly Toasted
4 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

My local supermarket meat shelves all bare. Looks the panic is back. Marvellous! Looking forward to Vegan December!

A while back they refurbished our local Lidl and reduced the space for certain things, one of which was corned beef. I noted that we now had more Lidl corned beef in our stash, than they had on their (okay, partly depleted at the time) shelf :D

• Lol 3
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Van Lady said:

I was in aldi this morning and the fresh meat section was very sparsely stocked but no other shortages.

My favrite larger was not in stock so I bought another 1 for 20p more for 4 cans 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Lightly Toasted said:

A while back they refurbished our local Lidl and reduced the space for certain things, one of which was corned beef. I noted that we now had more Lidl corned beef in our stash, than they had on their (okay, partly depleted at the time) shelf :D

Canned sardines and mackerel tend not to be hunted out by the panic buyers. They don't have a clue how to use them in meals.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Canned sardines and mackerel tend not to be hunted out by the panic buyers. They don't have a clue how to use them in meals.

canned sardines are in my prep stash.  Like dwarf bread, it's a great emergency food because nobody eats it until you really really need to.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, wherebee said:

canned sardines are in my prep stash.  Like dwarf bread, it's a great emergency food because nobody eats it until you really really need to.

My peanut butter was a great idea I thought, multi-kilogram jars.

They've now all separated... :(

3 minutes ago, Stuey said:

My peanut butter was a great idea I thought, multi-kilogram jars.

They've now all separated... :(

yeah, PB is not great in any place with temp variations.

I like honey in glass jars.  Will keep for effectively ever.  High source of energy.  Easy to add to many grains and drinks.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1