DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Shortage of goods, supply chain issues

Sugarlips

The Generation Game
21 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

An update from Euroland, where no doubt you've all heard the sad news...

M&S is having to adapt or die - again - you all remember the 2001 closures across Europe, or were we all too busy shopping at the branches which had newly opened in the Gulf around that time?

Shock, horreur! The French appetite for plastic pre-packed butties can no longer be sustained by the M&S sandwich stores. Obviously, Boris is to blame - and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that if everyone is working from home and therefore not nipping out to grab something they can eat at their desk, then this type of city centre outlet will go to the wall if it can't find new markets.

Even worse! As @The Generation Game will be able to confirm; the BBC report that M&S food will only survive in the EU by reinventing itself as an upmarket version of Iceland.

Now, call me a cynic; but I'd suggest that one of the bean-counters at head office looked at how much profit they were letting slip through their fingers by yellow-stickering fresh produce and was praying for inspiration, when behold!

A reel of red tape descended from above and the answer hit them like a bolt of lightning! "We can claim that there's too much bureaucracy now for fresh produce, and then import exactly the same stuff, with new EU-compliant labelling, but frozen instead! We get to blame Brexit and increase our profits because more people will have to pay full price instead of waiting for reductions!"

I didn't even know we had one here in Liberec! I once visited one in Brno, balk at the prices (and the fact that they didn't sell St. Michael's Prawn shells), and walked away empty handed. 

The last time I made a major purchase in M&S (a winter coat), I returned it within a few days as the lining had already torn. I instead bought one for slightly more in the US a month later, which I'm happy to report is still going strong nearly a decade later. 

sleepwello'nights
On 03/09/2021 at 06:06, wherebee said:

turned out one of the kids had taken sugar and put it in sandwich bags as somehow he thought the destination didn't have any sugar for morning cereal.  Oh how they laughed.

There is a lot of government meddling. I fancied some Sugar Puffs a couple of months ago. They are now no longer sold. They've been replaced with Honey Monsters or something. Not much sugar in them, I think the sugar has been replaced with a honey dust substitute. 

They don't taste anywhere near as good as they used to. Bloody do gooders trying to stop fat fuckers overdosing on sugar. Bastards!!

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

There is a lot of government meddling. I fancied some Sugar Puffs a couple of months ago. They are now no longer sold. They've been replaced with Honey Monsters or something. Not much sugar in them, I think the sugar has been replaced with a honey dust substitute. 

They don't taste anywhere near as good as they used to. Bloody do gooders trying to stop fat fuckers overdosing on sugar. Bastards!!

Reminds me there were no Frosties in tesco yesterday 14 boxes of cerial in my house and the lad now wants fucking Frosties 

• Lol 4

stop_the_craziness
18 hours ago, Stuey said:

My peanut butter was a great idea I thought, multi-kilogram jars.

They've now all separated... :(

If that happens with Almond Butter you can just give it a violent stirring and it's good as new.  Worth a try.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Stuey said:

My peanut butter was a great idea I thought, multi-kilogram jars.

They've now all separated... :(

Are you serious?

Just stir it up again when you open it, or if still sealed turn upside down so it works back through

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, eight said:

Isn't corned beef more expensive than actual beef now?

Always has been here. So we don't bother now. A shame, it is a taste that is craven from time to time.

I was shocked a few years ago to discover from an Aussie mate that corned beef we know is not corned beef as it actually is.

I am sure @wherebeecan advise?

4 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Always has been here. So we don't bother now. A shame, it is a taste that is craven from time to time.

I was shocked a few years ago to discover from an Aussie mate that corned beef we know is not corned beef as it actually is.

correct.  corned beef we sell to the UK is exclusively made up of 'roo bollocks.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, wherebee said:

correct.  corned beef we sell to the UK is exclusively made up of 'roo bollocks.

It’s ace after a few lagers how do you make too bollocks hash asking for a friend 

9 hours ago, wherebee said:

We're used to being fed a load of bollocks in the UK so would never have noticed.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Lightly Toasted
12 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

There's corned beef

cornedbeff-5a83354efa6bcc0037309db8.jpg

and there's corned beef

canned-tinned-corned-beef-sliced-plate-3

• Agree 4

Item on tne BBC radio news. Farming and food sector on a knife edge due to lack of workers. The answer? Emergency visas to import some cheap labour from Europe. 

Utter cunts. 

• Agree 7
  • Informative 2
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1

Mirror Mirror

Only got to pg 16 but I have a question here.

This CPC thing, I assume it stands for certificate of professional competency? 

I’m not thinking of returning to driving but just out of curiosity I’ve got to what used to be called a class one HGV license and have actually used it as far ago as the mid 90s driving six and eight wheeler tippers.

What would I have to do to re validate that license now, if I wanted to actually go and get a job as a driver? Apart from any licensing issues, I do realise I’ll probably need a bit of refresher training, since I’ve not driven a large vehicle for as it says decades.

Neighbour has gone back to driving after being neighbours taken off the driver list due to age/risk concerns., was told that IR35 would apply gong back to which he said well I won't be coming back, they relented.

So another factor thanks totally to government that has obviously put off drivers form others returning or made them leave in the first place. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Neighbour has gone back to driving after being neighbours taken off the driver list due to age/risk concerns., was told that IR35 would apply gong back to which he said well I won't be coming back, they relented.

So another factor thanks totally to government that has obviously put off drivers form others returning or made them leave in the first place. 

Working within an ir35 compliant umbrella company will almost halve take-home pay, with increases coming due to national insurance changes next year.. 

https://motortransport.co.uk/blog/2021/06/02/orange-genie-launches-umbrella-company-for-logistics-drivers/

I was offered a contract recently via compulsory umbrella company and declined. 

• Informative 2

Hope to do a Hunter gatherer at M&S tomorrow, running out of Earl grey.Fuel ok for now. I wonder if this will hasten the card only pumps to avoid the drive offs.

2 minutes ago, Volcanic said:

Hope to do a Hunter gatherer at M&S tomorrow, running out of Earl grey.Fuel ok for now. I wonder if this will hasten the card only pumps to avoid the drive offs.

No problems with the Earl Grey at work. Same persistent shortages are fruit juice - especially Orange - and the boxed milk for the coffee machine.

5 hours ago, eight said:

No problems with the Earl Grey at work. Same persistent shortages are fruit juice - especially Orange - and the boxed milk for the coffee machine.

Is it a scummy Toby Carvery o.O