DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Shortage of goods, supply chain issues

Sugarlips

the gardener
12 hours ago, ccc said:

No problem in jockland. 

And it all comes from outside the EU anyway so if there are issues it's nothing to do with the DEADLY Brexit. 

Apparently they grow coconuts in France. 

Andersen

A mate in South Wales (Cardiff area) has mentioned that smaller M&S stores are running low on some stocks - also some smaller M&S stores in Europe who can't get supplies from the UK O.o

Reports (but I can't find confirmation) that yesterday was the start of a 72 hour block on all cross channel UK / EU "groupage" freight (mixed cargo on a vehicle - ie pallets for several different customers on a single truck) - so the ports can clear the backlog of freight that's stuck due to the new systems. Shambles O.o

Shipping problems (from the so-called, re Ireland but it's relevant to cross channel problems), groupage requires more admin so is less likely to pass customs checks  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55556840

• Informative 3

sarahbell
3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Just back from M&S.

No wild salmon. No organic chicken.

We're doomed!

Are they foreign?

JoeDavola
Just now, sarahbell said:

Are they foreign?

No idea.

The Sainsburys delivery fellow told me there's difficulty getting stuff.

To be honest if it means we adapt to eat foods grown and raised in NI, it's not the end of the world and possibly a good thing.

There was plenty of red meat, including the organic stuff, which I suspect is sourced closer to home.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Andersen said:

A mate in South Wales (Cardiff area) has mentioned that smaller M&S stores are running low on some stocks - also some smaller M&S stores in Europe who can't get supplies from the UK O.o

Reports (but I can't find confirmation) that yesterday was the start of a 72 hour block on all cross channel UK / EU "groupage" freight (mixed cargo on a vehicle - ie pallets for several different customers on a single truck) - so the ports can clear the backlog of freight that's stuck due to the new systems. Shambles O.o

Shipping problems (from the so-called, re Ireland but it's relevant to cross channel problems), groupage requires more admin so is less likely to pass customs checks  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55556840

FFS, does that mean I have to get up early and panic buy again?!  :S

• Lol 1

MrLibertyRedux
49 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Just back from M&S.

No wild salmon. No organic chicken.

We're doomed!

No fucking cannelloni anywhere. I've had to resort to buying fresh pasta sheets.

The horror.

Dave Beans
36 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

No idea.

The Sainsburys delivery fellow told me there's difficulty getting stuff.

To be honest if it means we adapt to eat foods grown and raised in NI, it's not the end of the world and possibly a good thing.

There was plenty of red meat, including the organic stuff, which I suspect is sourced closer to home.

On average, a 70% drop in traffic between Holyhead - Dublin...

Largest Irish Sea ferry operator cuts sailings due to supply chain problems (irishtimes.com)

Traffic is now being rerouted between ROI and mainland Europe, which also cuts out the land bridge.  Seeing as NI is in the single market for goods, supply chains have yet to adapt to Europe - Ireland traffic - which I suspect it will...  It avoids these regulatory checks..

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

No fucking cannelloni anywhere.

It's only tubular lasagne, you know...

MrLibertyRedux
Just now, eight said:

It's only tubular lasagne, you know...

Yes, I know. But its my favourite and it involves food with a Godfather reference!

• Lol 2

no need to panic, when the French farmers realise they can't sell to us, they will riot on our behalf.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 3

sarahbell
1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Shopping today, lots of things missing. 

Almost out of eggs and no brocolli.

Broccoli they were ploughing in before Christmas as the supermarkets didn't want to sell it? Lincolnshire apparently.

Edited by sarahbell
  • Informative 1

Not many decent bicycles in stock anywhere, Pc parts (especially gfx cards) thin on the ground too.

Andersen
2 minutes ago, maffo said:

Not many decent bicycles in stock anywhere

I saw a post from a well known bike shop yesterday advising folk who were thinking about ordering a new bike to wait for the cross channel "troubles" to settle down before ordering, if they could. The shop have confirmed they will be increasing the cost of every bike by £35 to cover the extra customs admin :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Shopping today, lots of things missing. 

Almost out of eggs and no brocolli.

Broccnoli scrambled eggno 

Oh aren't I funny...

My local Asda has had no dry dog food for several weeks now, shelves almost completely empty, yet the local Morrisons and tesco have plenty in stock which seems a bit odd.

• Informative 1

I need a router and wanted a makita one as I already have the batteries.  None in stock in the UK.  I was also looking for one of their track saws, same problem.

Recommended see Tom Hayes twitter, lots of relevant info - firms including DPD have stopped UK/EU shipments due to beuracracy, France has portaloos at the roadside for 50km leading to Calis in preparation for lorry backlog, UK SME's are pausing/stopping trade with EU due to admin complexity.  https://twitter.com/BEERG 

Most of the West now operates just-in-time supply lines so stock arrives when it's needed. We're now into week2 of the new rules and the shortages are just starting to become obvious to the public.  The forecast is not good :/ 

sarahbell
35 minutes ago, Andersen said:

Recommended see Tom Hayes twitter, lots of relevant info - firms including DPD have stopped UK/EU shipments due to beuracracy, France has portaloos at the roadside for 50km leading to Calis in preparation for lorry backlog, UK SME's are pausing/stopping trade with EU due to admin complexity.  https://twitter.com/BEERG 

Most of the West now operates just-in-time supply lines so stock arrives when it's needed. We're now into week2 of the new rules and the shortages are just starting to become obvious to the public.  The forecast is not good :/ 

So the extra admin needs building into the process.

Didn't someone say their wife used to have such a role?

Chewing Grass

Some noticeable gaps on the shelves this evening, no out of season imported fruit other than clementines, grapes & blueberries. No problem with grapes and blueberries as it is now South American season.

No Red Milk but totally stocked with green and blue.

Reduced range of bread.

Tea inflation noticable.

Other niche gaps in shelves, can't remember what now.

• Informative 2