DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Torys prevented them from building (Tories haven't been in charge of Oldham for quite a long time) so I assume he means central Govt.
So what's changed? Has something changed which now allows them to build - in which case well done to the Tories.

And if OMBC owns the land it's them who's stopped anyone building on it.

IIRC up to a couple of years ago English councils (specifically councils, this rule did not affect housing associations) were unable to borrow money to build new council houses and then that rule was removed.

Without the ability to borrow the number of houses they could build from the revenue stream of surplus rents and RtB receipts was absolutely tiny.

October 2018:

Councils will be allowed to borrow billions more to build new affordable homes for millennials struggling to get on the housing ladder

• Government is scrapping the cap on how much councils can borrow for building
  • Treason May told Tory conference 'we will build the homes this country needs' 
  • Her announcement was immediately welcomed by local government leaders  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6235623/Councils-allowed-borrow-billions-build-new-affordable-homes.html

Build millions of them and get the local unemployed to help even if it’s just moving one brick at a time we’re in this recession together you know.unless your wages are paid by local goverment or general taxation or your not working disabled a single mum or pretend you work and are only doing 16 hours. Thinking about it there can’t be many people who actually pay real tax because none of the above do they just give the tax man some of the tax back that they are paid with

4 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Build millions of them and get the local unemployed to help even if it’s just moving one brick at a time we’re in this recession together you know.unless your wages are paid by local goverment or general taxation or your not working disabled a single mum or pretend you work and are only doing 16 hours. Thinking about it there can’t be many people who actually pay real tax because none of the above do they just give the tax man some of the tax back that they are paid with

The problem with getting the unskilled, and I would include myself within that cohort, to do the building is that the quality will be rubbish: cement not mixed properly, bricks laid upside down (seriously).

Big housing estates were built after WWI for just this reason - to give work to ex-soldiers and build homes for the same - and they were terrible: damp, cold and leaking.  Most have now been knocked down.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The problem with getting the unskilled, and I would include myself within that cohort, to do the building is that the quality will be rubbish: cement not mixed properly, bricks laid upside down (seriously).

Big housing estates were built after WWI for just this reason - to give work to ex-soldiers and build homes for the same - and they were terrible: damp, cold and leaking.  Most have now been knocked down.

Apprenticeships.

Our street was built in 1953. They're really solid, good size houses.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Are you seriesly saying that the council house estates built after the world wars with gardens front and back some fucking huge are substandard compared to new builds .I’d on about getting people out of there houses just for the sakes of it they could watch call it work experience

Edited by stokiescum
4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Apprenticeships.

Our street was built in 1953. They're really solid, good size houses.

Yes they are great.

However you can only ever have a small number of apprentices and over the last decade (at least) house builders have not wanted them when they can simply employ an experienced EE who won't require supervision, day release, or slow up a senior worker.

To illustrate the reluctance to take them on I know that social housing build contracts often specify that apprentices must be taken on and there are fines if they don't; mostly the house builder simply pays the fine.

Maybe Brexit will change that but I suspect there will be some green card scheme for construction workers as there will be for agricultural workers.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes they are great.

However you can only ever have a small number of apprentices and over the last decade (at least) house builders have not wanted them when they can simply employ an experienced EE who won't require supervision, day release, or slow up a senior worker.

To illustrate the reluctance to take them on I know that social housing build contracts often specify that apprentices must be taken on and there are fines if they don't; mostly the house builder simply pays the fine.

Maybe Brexit will change that but I suspect there will be some green card scheme for construction workers as there will be for agricultural workers.

But until we take responsibility for training people nothing will change.

They do college stuff for the building industry.
I know an allotment near by that got sheds built out of bricks and the lads were just so excited to be building something they didn't have to dismantle.

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Are you seriesly saying that the council house estates built after the world wars with gardens front and back some fucking huge are substandard compared to new builds .I’d on about getting people out of there houses just for the sakes of it they could watch call it work experience

The build construction absolutely was terrible after WWI where ex-soldiers were used.

Though obviously that isn't going to have an effect upon the plot size.

I don't know if similar happened after WWII; I haven't heard about if so.  From memory the housing solution was to throw up loads of prefabs which were only ever meant to be temporary.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The build construction absolutely was terrible after WWI where ex-soldiers were used.

I don't know if similar happened after WWII; I haven't heard about if so.  From memory the housing solution was to throw up loads of prefabs which were only ever meant to be temporary.

Yes the prefabs were shocking. 
But the ones on Grosvenor street were occupied until at least 1997 I think.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

But until we take responsibility for training people nothing will change.

They do college stuff for the building industry.
I know an allotment near by that got sheds built out of bricks and the lads were just so excited to be building something they didn't have to dismantle.

Something has been done; the Apprenticeship Levy was brought in in 2017 with the aim of funding three million apprenticeships.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-levy/apprenticeship-levy

Just now, sarahbell said:

Yes the prefabs were shocking. 
But the ones on Grosvenor street were occupied until at least 1997 I think.

I know two that are still occupied!

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

A mate has one the council are building a 40k extension for his misses he recons it will add at least 70k on the value of his house he still Moaned about loosening his garage to achieve this mind .ps not easy to get a mortgage on them because of rust or something 

Edited by stokiescum
18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

95% of the buildings in Hull were damaged or destroyed in WWII. The legacy is a bunch of shite prefab estates, a lot that still persist today. Cheers, Hitler. :PissedOff:

11 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

A mate has one the council are building a 40k extension for his misses he recons it will add at least 70k on the value of his house he still Moaned about loosening his garage to achieve this mind .ps not easy to get a mortgage on them because of rust or something 

Steel framing from the 50s and 60s is the usual problem from that era; because it rusts away since water is usually laying by it.  Cavity wall insulation accelerates the process by holding water against all of the frame.

Dorloncos and BISFs are two of the build types.

Down yer we have "Cornish units" or mundic which used china clay waste in the construction which is acidic and eventually crumbles.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Steel framing from the 50s and 60s is the usual problem from that era; because it rusts away since water is usually laying by it.  Cavity wall insulation accelerates the process by holding water against all of the frame.

Dorloncos and BISFs are two of the build types.

Down yer we have "Cornish units" or mundic which used china clay waste in the construction which is acidic and eventually crumbles.

There’s a few in uttoxeter I’ve no idea when Stoke got it’s main estates but some were built very well by the councils own workforce others were contracted out and are allegedly not quite has well built.used to be an

old bricklayer who used to go in my local he spent years doing them and would say which side of the road was best has both groups would be on an estate building different streets

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

There’s a few in uttoxeter I’ve no idea when Stoke got it’s main estates but some were built very well by the councils own workforce others were contracted out and are allegedly not quite has well built.used to be an

old bricklayer who used to go in my local he spent years doing them and would say which side of the road was best has both groups would be on an estate building different streets

Whilst he has since died a family friend was part of the build team for my present house.  He did a good job.

For about a year I walked past a couple of houses that were being built near my office.  I could see the quality as they went up and they will stand for a hundred years at least; though because people don't make such enquiries they probably sold for little more than a similar jerry built newbuild from one of the majors.

All that effort and quality going unmarked (except by me) and unrewarded; a shame.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst he has since died a family friend was part of the build team for my present house.  He did a good job.

For about a year I walked past a couple of houses that were being built near my office.  I could see the quality as they went up and they will stand for a hundred years at least; though because people don't make such enquiries they probably sold for little more than a similar jerry built newbuild from one of the majors.

All that effort and quality going unmarked (except by me) and unrewarded; a shame.

Well my shit hole is 130 years old I don’t think

many modern terraces will last that long .most of the houses in Stoke were put up in the 50s has they cleared some slums and for the boomers a troops .I’ve googled 2 large estates .this is one 

309C3EE8-5B82-4223-B788-07BA04A9002C.png

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

A mate has an ex council house with such a big garden they have their own stables which would have housed four horses at one point xD It's an example of the good post WWII council houses which were a decent size and simply but really solidly built on what is a generous plot by British standards. By the same token, there were some utter shite reinforced concrete council houses in the next street built in the same period. It's been the same story throughout history, normally quite conservative designs built without skimping on materials by builders that knew what they were doing stand the test of time, whereas unconventional construction methods or cutting corners meant they didn't last so long.