DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Current manias that make no sense

1) Covid hysteria (Sadly gone a bit too far now)

2) Carbon Dioxide end of the world cult. (Has replaced religious programs on BBC World Service)

3) Fake news. (Like people expect any TwitBook post to be wholly true)

And there's bugger all legislation, or governments can do about them.

Can you think of any others?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The hysteria of celebrity. - being a successful  adult pretender/singer/dancer/footballer etc etc does not mean that your opinion is worth listening to.

Attributing a level of victim status to pretty much everyone bar Prince Philip and the Duke of Westminster. Heading towards a state-set income in the UK led by what used to be the party of indivi

Another one, not quite a mania, but something that's become culturally engrained: The cult of the child. Worshipping children to the point of insanity, like no child can be allowed to endure any hards

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

The hysteria of celebrity. - being a successful  adult pretender/singer/dancer/footballer etc etc does not mean that your opinion is worth listening to.

Yes, I recently saw David Attenborough pontificating on US politics. I would listen to his opinion on poisonous frogs.

1 minute ago, Bornagain said:

This is an interesting one that's happened in my lifetime - the rise of the celebrity, people who are famous for nothing. Who cares what H from Steps thinks about Middle East politics?

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Suppression of alternative views and also history itself as we march towards year zero.

The obsession with continually buying things which are neither needed nor mostly even used.

1) Alternative views are always there, whether looney or not.

2) We all want THNEEDS. That's just consumerism.

Most of these do make sense, if you're willing to put yourself in someone else's shoes. For example if I were a fat useless workshy slob glued to the idiot box I'd be more than willing to believe in covid if it means my furlough pay continues to arrive thank you very much. 

If you want a true 'makes no sense' example then I'd probably go with the deification of the public service. I just can't get my head around it. It's never BEEN efficient nor reliable, incidentally most of the adherents of public sector worship are the people I refer to in the first paragraph.

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Another one, not quite a mania, but something that's become culturally engrained: The cult of the child. Worshipping children to the point of insanity, like no child can be allowed to endure any hardship, for any reason. 

Spot on. 

This is incredibly destructive, as many people are only capable of learning through suffering of some kind. So if no children experience suffering of any kind, the majority of the next generation know nothing.  

9 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

This is an interesting one that's happened in my lifetime - the rise of the celebrity, people who are famous for nothing. Who cares what H from Steps thinks about Middle East politics?

I'd be more interested in hearing Scarlet Moffat's views upon the Middle East than Tony Blair's because the former would be entertaining (in a Jade Goody way), honest, and not paid for by the highest Arab bidder.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Most of these do make sense, if you're willing to put yourself in someone else's shoes. For example if I were a fat useless workshy slob glued to the idiot box I'd be more than willing to believe in covid if it means my furlough pay continues to arrive thank you very much. 

If you want a true 'makes no sense' example then I'd probably go with the deification of the public service. I just can't get my head around it. It's never BEEN efficient nor reliable, incidentally most of the adherents of public sector worship are the people I refer to in the first paragraph.

The march to communism innit? If you work for the state you get hero status and a discount on the stuff that the people paying your wages have to pay full price for. 

If you're NHS you're extra special. 

21 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yes, I recently saw David Attenborough pontificating on US politics. I would listen to his opinion on poisonous frogs.

I wouldn't, he isn't in the opinion business.

I've not watched his programs for years because I can't stand that breathless quality you get in a voice with old people.... but anyway he is there to present facts, not give opinions.

32 minutes ago, MrPin said:

1) Covid hysteria (Sadly gone a bit too far now)

2) Carbon Dioxide end of the world cult. (Has replaced religious programs on BBC World Service)

3) Fake news. (Like people expect any TwitBook post to be wholly true)

And there's bugger all legislation, or governments can do about them.

Can you think of any others?

Pumped up lips, arses and boobs making a woman attractive?

36 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

I think it runs beyond just politics. It seems that nothing is considered of any worth without celebrity endorsement. This is why almost everything seems to come in two versions. One is the vanilla version be it quiz, show, charity etc for the plebs. The other is the celebrity version which is somehow deemed special even though it is identical to the original. It is like some cruddy version of by royal appointment. I can’t see the presence of celebrities adds much to any of these things yet their tedious presence is deemed necessary.

Edited by Virgil Caine