DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Linkedin

I've got a linkedin account. Not exactly sure why but probably thought it was a good idea a few years ago. I periodically get the 'you appeared in x searches this week' notifications.

Top 3 today:

Real Yorkshire Pudding Co

InControl Industrial Automation

British International School of Ljubljana

WTF?!

I work in construction. I suppose I could provide assistance if someone wants to automate their pudding production in Slovenia. Bit of a niche market though I would think.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

I've got a linkedin account. Not exactly sure why but probably thought it was a good idea a few years ago. I periodically get the 'you appeared in x searches this week' notifications.

Top 3 today:

WTF?!

I work in construction. I suppose I could provide assistance if someone wants to automate their pudding production in Slovenia. Bit of a niche market though I would think.

Are you registered as "Sasquatch" on linkedin? Could explain things.

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Top 3 today:

WTF?!

Look, if Linkedin says you work in Slovenian puddings, then you work in Slovenian puddings.

I don't understand why you're trying to fight the inevitable.

What is Linked-In for?

About 20 ish years ago I worked at a place where the HR manager was actually sane, although a complete wide boy and scam artist, and I did sort of like him. He told me about this new thing Linked in and he was trying to drum up support for it. Knowing him I thought he was probably on a dollar per new signup or something like that but I did it anyway.

That was it and my profile has just sat there since then unchanged. Is it true that HR really rely on it for finding new people? All the real-life people I know started off taking it seriously but then got bored and started adding stuff like "part-time contract killer" to their list of gigs.

LI is laughable these days. Less than 5% of content is actually useful for my job (construction). The rest are posts about peoples new jobs, virtue signalling "likes" for someone giving a Downs lad some work experience, attractive women posting pictures of themselves for likes by random men (then complaining that they are objectified), picture of some parquet flooring done by a two-bit company in Rotherham etc

Couldn't tell you the last time I actually learnt anything.

Ok-ish in a steady market for jobs notifications and that's it. It's like an "Indeed" Job App that comes to you.

I'm registered on there from many years ago, I can't remember the last time I signed in but it can be interesting to see who it links me with. Some are accurate, others are folk who worked somewhere near where I did but not when I was there - no chance.

Is sometimes interesting to see what the folk you used to work with are doing now, guess I need to find my password and change my status to "UK evacuee & resistance fighter" or something similar :P

16 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

What is Linked-In for?

About 20 ish years ago I worked at a place where the HR manager was actually sane, although a complete wide boy and scam artist, and I did sort of like him. He told me about this new thing Linked in and he was trying to drum up support for it. Knowing him I thought he was probably on a dollar per new signup or something like that but I did it anyway.

That was it and my profile has just sat there since then unchanged. Is it true that HR really rely on it for finding new people? All the real-life people I know started off taking it seriously but then got bored and started adding stuff like "part-time contract killer" to their list of gigs.

The people that use it to promote themselves are also the people who are most likely to use it to recruit others so I just see it as a massive circle jerk personally.  The problem is going to come if there are more of them than there are of sane people.  Pretty much my fear for all of life.

Edited to add - By "recruit others" I meant recruit for jobs, not recruit for LinkedIn.  That's why I think it's a worry if it becomes another genuine method of job recruitment.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
13 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

What is Linked-In for?

There is a certain type of LinkedIn user (as opposed to most who just have accounts), the sort of people that when I've worked with them can be described as above, basically slightly dodgy corporate ladder climbers.

6 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

The people that use it to promote themselves are also the people who are most likely to use it to recruit others so I just see it as a massive circle jerk personally.  The problem is going to come if there are more of them than there are of sane people.  Pretty much my fear for all of life.

Edited to add - By "recruit others" I meant recruit for jobs, not recruit for LinkedIn.  That's why I think it's a worry if it becomes another genuine method of job recruitment.

I think the problem existed before LinkedIn. Was aways aware how recruitment agencies used to just like people like themselves -  extroverts with self confidence and self presentation skills.

I signed up years ago in the hope of it helping me get a job. Of course it didn't, sends me regular spam and is in the same heading as chocolate teapot. 

Now my employer has made us use it to link in to linkedin learning. 

I've done about 1 hour of python on there over the last 3 months, which is by far the most productive thing it's done for me. 

9 hours ago, Andersen said:

Is sometimes interesting to see what the folk you used to work with are doing now

I notice how the onward trajectory of young high flyers, those who became partners in professional firms and the like, is often something of an anti-climax, chewed up and spat out like everyone else.

Edited by Panther