DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Garmin GPS Route Help

Fully Detached

Question

Fully Detached

I picked up a used Garmin ETrex 30 off ebay the other day and am getting to grips with it slowly. If I create a route in Basecamp, the accuracy of route points really depends on the accuracy of my mouse clicks - and today I found that I had set the route point 20m or so past where I wanted to turn off. Problem is that unless I walked to the route point until I got the alert message and hit OK, the device will keep trying to direct me to that route point. The track of my walk shows I hit the route perfectly, but the device was trying to send me back to the first route point the whole time because as far as it was concerned, I had missed it.

How do I deal with this - is there a way to skip the point on the device?

2 answers to this question

Chewing Grass
7 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I picked up a used Garmin ETrex 30 off ebay the other day and am getting to grips with it slowly. If I create a route in Basecamp, the accuracy of route points really depends on the accuracy of my mouse clicks - and today I found that I had set the route point 20m or so past where I wanted to turn off. Problem is that unless I walked to the route point until I got the alert message and hit OK, the device will keep trying to direct me to that route point. The track of my walk shows I hit the route perfectly, but the device was trying to send me back to the first route point the whole time because as far as it was concerned, I had missed it.

How do I deal with this - is there a way to skip the point on the device?

Click your turn points before the corner when you create the route, if the software you are using uses open street map that should solve the problem. My garmin edge beeps about 50 metres or so before a turn and I produce my gpx for it off the subscription version of strava. I never let it plan a route (the garmin) as they are generally crap.

Fully Detached
51 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Click your turn points before the corner when you create the route, if the software you are using uses open street map that should solve the problem. My garmin edge beeps about 50 metres or so before a turn and I produce my gpx for it off the subscription version of strava. I never let it plan a route (the garmin) as they are generally crap.

That's the nicest, most simple solution - thanks!

As for routing, the unit came with a couple of UK contour maps, but I bought a hybrid of OSM and various other sources for £15. It's not routable so I will have to do a little more work myself, but it contains so much of the detail that isn't available on much more expensive maps, especially footpaths and rights of way. I don't know how much I will use the route feature really but I'm having fun learning it all the same.