Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Is grassing ever acceptable?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every person renting out a property who isn't declaring the income for tax purposes should be dobbed in, after decades of completely deliberate house price inflation and transferring housing stock int

I grassed my own dad up for drink driving, I regret it. Had a distressed phone call from my mum, incoherent, but, from what I could gather, they had been drinking for hours and had had an argumen

It can be difficult to tell a driver is drunk if they are a woman.

8 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Following on from @One percent neighbour comment.

If you knew someone was out driving pissed everyday, would you / should you grass them up?

I know that I should, not sure that I would.

But then I would feel like shit if they injured someone.

Where would you draw the line?

If they were a criminal, for example a known neighbourhood thief, I'd dob them in

Otherwise, if I knew soemone was doing that and if it concerned me, I'd have a word with them directly.

But my outlook is that I don't interfere with anybody as I just do my own thing, and I expect nobody to interfere with me, often disappointed of course.

Edited by Hopeful
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

If they were a criminal, for example a known neighbourhood thief, I'd dob them in

Otherwise, if I knew soemone was doing that and if it concerned me, I'd have a word with them directly.

But my outlook is that I don't interfere with anybody as I just do my own thing, and I expect nobody to interfere with me, often disappointed of course.

I agree with your last para, but what if that drunk driver went on to run over your neighbour's child?

Having a word with them won't make any difference.

It is a tough call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I agree with your last para, but what if that drunk driver went on to run over your neighbour's child?

Having a word with them won't make any difference.

It is a tough call.

My neighour's child is no concern of mine, the neighbour can notice a drunk driver in the neighbourhood just as easily as me and should be looking out for dangers that could affect their child

but if it was a concern

I wouldn't have said to the driver, "would you mind awfully not havng a tipple before you get behind the wheel" :)

Edited by Hopeful
Link to post
Share on other sites

If this person is a full on functioning alcoholic then it's arguable whether you'd be helping by dobbing them in. It's really a question of whether losing their driving licence would be a wake up call, or send them spiraling down further.

If they're just the sort of twat who regularly drives home from the pub after having had more than two pints because they think they're better than everybody else I would dob them in without a moment's hesitation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rave said:

If this person is a full on functioning alcoholic then it's arguable whether you'd be helping by dobbing them in. It's really a question of whether losing their driving licence would be a wake up call, or send them spiraling down further.

If they're just the sort of twat who regularly drives home from the pub after having had more than two pints because they think they're better than everybody else I would dob them in without a moment's hesitation.

 

yes, arrogance is a key factor

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rave said:

If they're just the sort of twat who regularly drives home from the pub after having had more than two pints because they think they're better than everybody else I would dob them in without a moment's hesitation.

Before the 1967 Road Safety Act, and beyond, it was entirely acceptable for people to drive home from the pub after several pints.   

It is well documented that drink driving laws killed many rural pubs.

Maybe future generations will feel the same about us not wearing a mask. 

https://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_information_uklawhistory.php

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Malthus said:

The peelers only catch criminals red handed or if someone tells them who did it imho 

The choice is do you agree with criminal behaviour or not 

The whole “grass” narrative is put about by criminals, see above

 

I'm just mindful of the fact that I've broken many laws many times and like being able to do so, and I wouldn't want to be grassed up.

 

 

Edited by Hopeful
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say it is all about harm to others.

The drink driver is a potential harm to others, so I'd say grassing would be acceptable.

If his tax had run out, there's no harm done and you shouldn't grass.

[unless they're offensive in other ways, where it might exceed a 'threshold of lots of nuisance']

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Before the 1967 Road Safety Act, and beyond, it was entirely acceptable for people to drive home from the pub after several pints.   

It is well documented that drink driving laws killed many rural pubs.

Maybe future generations will feel the same about us not wearing a mask. 

https://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_information_uklawhistory.php

Maybe, but so what? There used to be many more road deaths per mile travelled, and alcohol is still a factor in something like a quarter of fatal accidents IIRC- CBA to google now but it's a significant number.

I'm on something of a sticky wicket here as I'm a recovering alcoholic and while I was drinking I almost certainly drove about over the limit the morning after a session on many occasions. I had a high tolerance for alcohol and I am a former professional driver, so I can live with myself because I am convinced that I was no more dangerous in that state than your average shitty driver who can't think more than 20 yards ahead. However if I had been caught and punished I would have been bang to rights and could not possibly have had any complaints.

7 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'm just mindful of the fact that I've broken many laws many times and like being able to do so, and I wouldn't want to be grassed up.

For example, I could be grassed up right now

I would never grass anyone up for what I perceive to be a victimless crime. Growing some weed in your garden for your own use, or nipping down a quiet alley for a piss on your way home from the pub (thereby technically committing indecent exposure or whatever it is)? Crack on. Running a massive grow operation in a terraced house using Vietnamese slaves and fire-hazard wiring from your bypassed meter? Flashing schoolkids at a bus stop? Not so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steppensheep said:

Surely plod isn't going to bother getting out of bed to catch some random drink driver on a tipoff?

Their behaviour would need to be regular for the police to organise catching them.

A cunty neighbour of mine drink drives. OR did. Nowhere open.

He'd not have headlights on and drove back at 15 Miles an hour

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

Surely plod isn't going to bother getting out of bed to catch some random drink driver on a tipoff?

I got pulled over on a Saturday night coming out of Bromley a couple of years ago, with my wife and her two friends in the car. Fortunately the reason that I was giving them a lift was that I'd sobered up 6 months previously and so had nothing better to do with my evening. Usual check of insurance details etc. and I was on my way, all perfectly friendly.

I'd clocked the cop car parked up near the town centre and they came shooting up behind me once I'd got about half a mile down the road... so it was obvious that their brief for that evening was to look for potential drink drivers.

Edit: so I daresay they would have been glad of a tip off, rather than just stopping people on the basis of whether they looked dodgy (which we did, four young looking people in high spirits in a shitty old car).

Edited by Rave
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally,  no. 

Mainly because I don't know the reasons other people do what they do and why..  I don't consider myself judge and jury. 

The only reason I would go to the police is if I had a specific personal issue that I had not been able to resolve myself directly.. or if I was for some reason acting on behalf of someone else to do the same. 

Drink driving..  how would I know?  How do I know how badly they are impaired?  None of my business unless they are literally swerving down the road and look like they might hit someone.  Even then,  knowing the penalties for them would be harsh I'd be less likely to want to report it officially..   If I knew them I'd probably prefer to have a quiet word instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rave said:

I'm on something of a sticky wicket here as I'm a recovering alcoholic and while I was drinking I almost certainly drove about over the limit the morning after a session on many occasions. I had a high tolerance for alcohol and I am a former professional driver, so I can live with myself because I am convinced that I was no more dangerous in that state than your average shitty driver who can't think more than 20 yards ahead. However if I had been caught and punished I would have been bang to rights and could not possibly have had any complaints.

Similar circumstances to me. Recovering functioning alcoholic who had high tolerance levels and no one knew the amount of spirits I was necking every day.

I drove regularly when over the limit. Latterly, before quitting, I was doing an area bank job. After my last branch call I’d down a quarter bottle of spirits and drive home. If I’d been given a breathalyser test I suspect I’d have failed regardless of the time of day for many years.

I know it sounds odd but I was super vigilant about my driving in all stages of inebriation. Never had any accidents or mishaps. Alcohol made me feel “normal “ .....until I woke up and realised I was self medicating and not facing up to life as it is with no props.

After I quit I had two road accidents in the early years. It’s been a long and winding road!

I don’t give a shit what my neighbours are doing. I’m on pleasantly exchanging chit chat terms with some.

My daughter visited last weekend and no one grassed. Over the road a house has several visitors frequently. I really don’t care.

Maybe some neighbours are like what I used to be driving while permanently over alcohol limit. I wouldn’t know unless their general driving was obviously shite.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

 

I'm just mindful of the fact that I've broken many laws many times and like being able to do so, and I wouldn't want to be grassed up.

 

 

Laws that most people are happy to break are a waste of time 

I’d happily limit the law to prohibit 

murder, rape,gbh and theft with vigorous punishment 

Hurty words and speeding not so much 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I grassed my own dad up for drink driving, I regret it.

Had a distressed phone call from my mum, incoherent, but, from what I could gather, they had been drinking for hours and had had an argument.  For some reason (unspecified), he was leaving her (married for 50 years at this point) and driving to come and have an argument with me.  I pointed out that I had children at home, in bed, so there was not much that I could do about it, ie, couldn't go out and try to run him down.  After many hysterical requests for me to "do something", I pointed out repeatedly, that there would be consequences for the next step.

I then phoned the police, they found my dad and arrested him, he spent the night in the cells before he was collected the next day by my mum.  Driving ban and a brief conversation between us that " we shall never speak of this again."  My mum has never mentioned it since.  Somehow it is all my fault.  The conclusion that I have drawn is to not answer the phone to my parents in the evening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...