DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Penda's Fen

Watched this on ok.ru

Something of a 70s tv landmark but not as I remembered, not actually that otherworldly and tedious and predictable with its firebrand trade unionist and going through the motions vicar. The homo stuff came as a surprise, that had completely passed me by.

https://m.ok.ru/video/1023851498061

Edited by Panther
38 minutes ago, Panther said:

Watched this on ok.ru

Something of a tv landmark but not as I remembered, not actually that otherworldly and very tedious with its firebrand trade unionist and going through the motions vicar. The homo stuff came as a surprise, that had completely passed me by.

King penda was busy trying to defend his country and religion from Christianity he is berated in history however victors write the history books.I’ve not seen this play/film but I am aware that penda was seen has a defender of tradition against the world dominating machine ie Christianity and it’s dogma ie new world order etc ps the Northumbrians are cunts

Edited by stokiescum

It's a play of two halves.

The first half is superb and really captures that era and what public schools were very much like.  The panning along at the morning service contrasting the early smellies with their great lump of greasy hair with the immaculate officer training corps.

Then he realises that he is gay and finds out that he is adopted and his parents are foreign and it's into the usual "by the numbers" teenage angst and rebellion.

I only usually watch the first half.

As a btw the Enigma theme riddle looks recently to have been solved as being based upon the "never never never" section of Rule Britannia.

1 hour ago, Panther said:

Watched this on ok.ru

Something of a 70s tv landmark but not as I remembered, not actually that otherworldly and tedious and predictable with its firebrand trade unionist and going through the motions vicar. The homo stuff came as a surprise, that had completely passed me by.

It got a lot of positive coverage at the time but has dated quite badly. There are better TV plays from the 1970s. I strongly recommend this one which is Dennis Potter at his very best.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Adam_Stood

Worth watching for the acting of Alan Badel alone. Incidentally we need a thread on why most modern actors are so pedestrian . Most don’t even seem to be able to project their voices properly. Some sound like they never left sixth form drama classes.

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a play of two halves.

The first half is superb and really captures that era and what public schools were very much like.  The panning along at the morning service contrasting the early smellies with their great lump of greasy hair with the immaculate officer training corps.

Then he realises that he is gay and finds out that he is adopted and his parents are foreign and it's into the usual "by the numbers" teenage angst and rebellion.

I only usually watch the first half.

As a btw the Enigma theme riddle looks recently to have been solved as being based upon the "never never never" section of Rule Britannia.

Yes I remember that stultifying Britishness of Remembrance Sunday and empty Anglicanism and was never part of it but the attempt to build an alternative mythology is laughable.

I agree with the OP, one of the much vaunted Folk   'Play for Todays' of the 1970s but a disappointing watch. And it is a genre I normally really like.

The Daddy of the  Folk Horror Play for Todays is supposed to be Robin Redbreast, 1970. Automatically taken down from youtube...sodding BBC,  despite paying for current content I rarely watch. Anybody help me out with a link ?  ( very grateful to xyy for a link to another rare film in the past).

969291820_robin2(1).jpg.df70612936cd5dca62348e06c3d59530.jpg

Edited by crashmonitor

I watched Cathy Come Home a few years ago.

It caused a stir when it was first shown in 1966, questions in the House and all that.

It's a load of woke shite. The burd is dumb and her fella even dumber. Was that the start of the victim society?

There's that saying about protecting people from their folly and ending up with a nation of fools.

5 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

It got a lot of positive coverage at the time but has dated quite badly. There are better TV plays from the 1970s. I strongly recommend this one which is Dennis Potter at his very best.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Adam_Stood

Worth watching for the acting of Alan Badel alone. Incidentally we need a thread on why most modern actors are so pedestrian . Most don’t even seem to be able to project their voices properly. Some sound like they never left sixth form drama classes.

Most modern actors don't act, they play themselves in roles where central casting has requested their type.

28 minutes ago, jm51 said:

I watched Cathy Come Home a few years ago.

It caused a stir when it was first shown in 1966, questions in the House and all that.

It's a load of woke shite. The burd is dumb and her fella even dumber. Was that the start of the victim society?

You can plainly see the underpinnings of multiculturalism in Penda's Fen. The dialogue, 'I'm mixed, I'm not pure', alongside the big dollops of postmodernist mythology (Neopaganism, 'the Real Jesus'). They would have mentioned Windrush had they even thought of it at the time.

On 26/12/2020 at 20:18, Panther said:

You can plainly see the underpinnings of multiculturalism in Penda's Fen. The dialogue, 'I'm mixed, I'm not pure', alongside the big dollops of postmodernist mythology (Neopaganism, 'the Real Jesus'). They would have mentioned Windrush had they even thought of it at the time.

That's you watching the second half again!  Turn it off at the point that he starts dreaming about the rugby boy and it's a much better play all round.

Cathy Come Home was indeed woke trash but there was so much of that in the 50s and and 60s when a large segment of the British film industry was basically communist and portrayed the poor as always noble but beaten down and the wealthy as heartless buffoons.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Cathy Come Home was indeed woke trash but there was so much of that in the 50s and and 60s when a large segment of the British film industry was basically communist and portrayed the poor as always noble but beaten down and the wealthy as heartless buffoons.

"The Way We Live" (1946) was on Talking Pictures in the last couple of days. There's something distinctly Soviet about portions of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA8V-Zcd5bU

On 26/12/2020 at 16:15, Frank Hovis said:

Robin Redbreast is here if you're outside the UK or have a VPN.

https://adamsmith.wordpress.com/2019/12/15/play-for-today-robin-redbreast-1970-anna-cropper/

Which actually links to this when you play it behind a VPN.

https://youtu.be/Zyztk4--8YQ

Looks interesting, so I've downloaded it for viewing later - cheers to Crashy and Frank...

XYY

@crashmonitor

On 26/12/2020 at 15:38, crashmonitor said:

I agree with the OP, one of the much vaunted Folk   'Play for Todays' of the 1970s but a disappointing watch. And it is a genre I normally really like.

The Daddy of the  Folk Horror Play for Todays is supposed to be Robin Redbreast, 1970. Automatically taken down from youtube...sodding BBC,  despite paying for current content I rarely watch. Anybody help me out with a link ?  ( very grateful to xyy for a link to another rare film in the past).

969291820_robin2(1).jpg.df70612936cd5dca62348e06c3d59530.jpg

Well I watched that yesterday, and still don't know if I liked it or not. Creepy, but not particularly scary.

Bernard Hepton was good mind...

XYY

3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Well I watched that yesterday, and still don't know if I liked it or not. Creepy, but not particularly scary.

Bernard Hepton was good mind...

XYY

Sadly not having a VPN, I haven't seen it. The reviews are similar, I'm guessing a pyschological drama with not much action. Nevertheless, a bit of a cult classic, I would have liked a chance to see; the BBC is obviously milking  it on dvd to pay for the programmes they are making today that nobody watches.

18 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Sadly not having a VPN, I haven't seen it. The reviews are similar, I'm guessing a pyschological drama with not much action. Nevertheless, a bit of a cult classic, I would have liked a chance to see; the BBC is obviously milking  it on dvd to pay for the programmes they are making today that nobody watches.

Well I downloaded it, so it is possible I could send you the file via some method.

The file is around 230MB, so not massive by today's standards and I've an old SD card or a USB stick or two it would fit on easily. I could also transcode it onto a DVD. But those ideas would mean using the post, or meeting up somewhere if you're not keen on giving me an address.

There are pieces of software that allow people to do this over the internet - "Dropbox" is one I have used in the past - that might be avenue to explore. Let me know on here or by PM if you want to give it a go...

XYY

17 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Well I downloaded it, so it is possible I could send you the file via some method.

The file is around 230MB, so not massive by today's standards and I've an old SD card or a USB stick or two it would fit on easily. I could also transcode it onto a DVD. But those ideas would mean using the post, or meeting up somewhere if you're not keen on giving me an address.

There are pieces of software that allow people to do this over the internet - "Dropbox" is one I have used in the past - that might be avenue to explore. Let me know on here or by PM if you want to give it a go...

XYY

Thanks for the offer XYY; don't  worry, no doubt a copy will slip through  the youtube/ dailymotion net or the like one of these days.

Edited by crashmonitor
12 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Thanks for the offer XYY; don't  worry, no doubt a copy will slip through  the youtube/ dailymotion net or the like one of these days.

No problem mate. I have just thought of another way that might help you.

The "Opera" web-browser has a built-in VPN. And it is free. It is a tiny bit of a faff to get working, but I have just successfully accessed the YouTube video and it played fine with no block from the BBC.

Opera is available for most platforms. I am using a Windows 10 PC, but I also have the Android version on my tablet.

Hope this helps...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
5 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

No problem mate. I have just thought of another way that might help you.

The "Opera" web-browser has a built-in VPN. And it is free. It is a tiny bit of a faff to get working, but I have just successfully accessed the YouTube video and it played fine with no block from the BBC.

Opera is available for most platforms. I am using a Windows 10 PC, but I also have the Android version on my tablet.

Hope this helps...

XYY

Cheers XYY..I've downloaded Opera and heck it does unlock Youtube for free.