DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Secret War in Laos

Secret War in Laos

From 1964 to 1973, the U.S. dropped more than two million tons of ordnance on Laos during 580,000 bombing missions—equal to a planeload of bombs every 8 minutes, 24-hours a day, for 9 years – making Laos the most heavily bombed country per capita in history. The bombings were part of the U.S. Secret War in Laos to support the Royal Lao Government against the Pathet Lao and to interdict traffic along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. The bombings destroyed many villages and displaced hundreds of thousands of Lao civilians during the nine-year period.

Up to a third of the bombs dropped did not explode, leaving Laos contaminated with vast quantities of unexploded ordnance (UXO). Over 20,000 people have been killed or injured by UXO in Laos since the bombing ceased. The wounds of war are not only felt in Laos. When the Americans withdrew from Laos in 1973, hundreds of thousands of refugees fled the country, and many of them ultimately resettled in the United States.

http://legaciesofwar.org/about-laos/secret-war-laos/#:~:text=The bombings were part of,during the nine-year period.

I only just found out about this and find it absolutely shocking, especially that people are still dying from the unexploded ordnance.

The U.S. aim as the war went on basically became: use Laos as a charnel house, where most of the reason for the fight was to occupy North Vietnamese Army and to kill as many North Vietnamese as possible — the theory being that then, they could not be involved in the fight in Vietnam.

12 minutes ago, muggle said:

http://legaciesofwar.org/about-laos/secret-war-laos/#:~:text=The bombings were part of,during the nine-year period.

I only just found out about this and find it absolutely shocking, especially that people are still dying from the unexploded ordnance.

The U.S. aim as the war went on basically became: use Laos as a charnel house, where most of the reason for the fight was to occupy North Vietnamese Army and to kill as many North Vietnamese as possible — the theory being that then, they could not be involved in the fight in Vietnam.

From 1964 to 1973, the U.S. dropped more than two million tons of ordnance on Laos during 580,000 bombing missions—equal

That numbers waaay too big.

58,000 bombing missions every year?

150, every day, day in, day out.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

From 1964 to 1973, the U.S. dropped more than two million tons of ordnance on Laos during 580,000 bombing missions—equal

That numbers waaay too big.

58,000 bombing missions every year?

150, every day, day in, day out.

No it probably about right as its only 4 tons per aircraft, a B52 could carry in excess of 30 tons so the rest would have been munitions from smaller aircraft and fighter bombers.

13 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Unexploded ordnance only worries poofs!

I remember being worried by the unexploded ordnance in Bosnia, and following local ordinance* by not going off the path.

But that's because I'm a poof.

[*The rules say something like 'if you're not sure, poke the area with a long stick'.  Great advice, that.]

Just now, dgul said:

I remember being worried by the unexploded ordnance in Bosnia, and following local ordinance* by not going off the path.

[*The rules say something like 'if you're not sure, poke the area with a long stick'.  Great advice, that.]

Why not poke the ground with somebody foreign? It's worked for me.

12 minutes ago, Straingone said:

Would like to see the Plain of Jars.

I've only seen war zones through a parrot's arse. I thought it was a telescope.

Despite my fake bravery, I don't go to certain places.

I just did a search on that, and it's more curious than Doncaster.

Edited by MrPin

1 hour ago, muggle said:

War is a racket. The US military/industrial complex produces a lot of bombs. Clearly, someone did not want them to go to waste. The War on Communism like the later War on Terror primary purpose was to funnel taxpayers money into the pockets of the interested parties. Defeating the enemy and political aims come a distant second. In fact the ideal war for those providing the materials was an indecisive one that goes on forever. The problem in Vietnam for the weapons manufacturers was that the nuclear threat from Russia and China limited what the US could do against the North. Fortunately for them the war dragged in non aligned countries like Cambodia and Laos who everyone was happy to see bombed to shit. When people read about the Vietnam war conventional accounts usually highlight the corruption of the government of South Vietnam. Few mention that the regime in Saigon were amateurs compared to the one in Washington.

Edited by Virgil Caine
1 hour ago, Virgil Caine said:

War is a racket. The US military/industrial complex produces a lot of bombs. Clearly, someone did not want them to go to waste. The War on Communism like the later War on Terror primary purpose was to funnel taxpayers money into the pockets of the interested parties. Defeating the enemy and political aims come a distant second. In fact the ideal war for those providing the materials was an indecisive one that goes on forever. The problem in Vietnam for the weapons manufacturers was that the nuclear threat from Russia and China limited what the US could do against the North. Fortunately for them the war dragged in non aligned countries like Cambodia and Laos who everyone was happy to see bombed to shit. When people read about the Vietnam war conventional accounts usually highlight the corruption of the government of South Vietnam. Few mention that the regime in Saigon were amateurs compared to the one in Washington.

So sad, so a proxy war.

13 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Shep, Shep's mate,  and a dozen sheep herded in front of you wherever you go. Job done, and mutton kebab every evening. 

Slightly OT but reminded me of reading about these trips you could make, think it was Vietnam, where you could hire a rocket launcher and take out a sheep or cow.

Think that was the top dollar stuff, generally it was shoot a target with a gloc? Or Uzi etc.

Only proper weapon I shot was an AK I think, but think it was a knock off.  Thankfully no farm animals involved.

Back on topic, wasn't princess Diana big on raising awareness.  As far as I'm concerned whoever dropped the bombs should at least make an effort to clear up after themselves.

15 hours ago, Dogtania said:

Slightly OT but reminded me of reading about these trips you could make, think it was Vietnam, where you could hire a rocket launcher and take out a sheep or cow.

Think that was the top dollar stuff, generally it was shoot a target with a gloc? Or Uzi etc.

Only proper weapon I shot was an AK I think, but think it was a knock off.  Thankfully no farm animals involved.

Back on topic, wasn't princess Diana big on raising awareness.  As far as I'm concerned whoever dropped the bombs should at least make an effort to clear up after themselves.

It was actually here. They still do it but you have to know someone. 

On topic, the numbers were big @spygirl and shocking. Just as bad in Cambodia. It directly led to Pol Pot and the civil war. Kissinger literally created Pol Pot from nothing by bombing the Pearl of the Orient back to the stone age in the rural parts.

Around one person a week is reported as killed or wounded by UXB here. 

On 26/12/2020 at 18:20, dgul said:

I'm no poof, I used to check for unexploded mines by poking the ground with my knob.

13 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

It was actually here. They still do it but you have to know someone. 

On topic, the numbers were big @spygirl and shocking. Just as bad in Cambodia. It directly led to Pol Pot and the civil war. Kissinger literally created Pol Pot from nothing by bombing the Pearl of the Orient back to the stone age in the rural parts.

Around one person a week is reported as killed or wounded by UXB here. 

When the bse crisis was happening here, the president of Cambodia asked the UK to send them the cattle destined to be culled. They would be used clear the mines and feed the populace.

The msm laughed at that idea.

11 minutes ago, eight said:

Saw this in an episode of Anthony Bourdain. I think the munitions removal teams had something like two hundred year's work on their hands.

Off topic but Bourdain made such good TV and traveled to the weirdest places.  I haven't watched all.

He had a really dark streak - or so he said, not sure if it was depression or what but really sad he died.  

The most recent girlfriend (fiancé?) seemed a bit dodge though, but I don't think you can blame her.

I remember the one when he went to Haiti and saw so much devastation.  I think he was hoping to put a positive spin on things ie resilience etc. 

He started eating at some stall and soon had hungry kids gawking at him... Tried to pay to feed them all and soon got out of control. 

He says he had this dark bleak streak, I wonder if seeing all the stuff he had just couldn't stomach it (wrong word probably certainly not a joke). I mean he would dine with Obama then watch bombs being dropped.