DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Is the Holy Grail in Hounslow?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9070109/amp/Is-Holy-Grail-HOUNSLOW-Amateur-archaeologist-convinced-relic-hidden-river-London.html

Was listening to this guy on radio today and he’s convinced from research and subterranean anomalies, that the site in Hounslow is former Templar chamber, a Holy of Holies where crusader treasure and maybe Holy Grail is stored... 

That would be a turn up.... 

1 hour ago, SomersetMatt said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9070109/amp/Is-Holy-Grail-HOUNSLOW-Amateur-archaeologist-convinced-relic-hidden-river-London.html

Was listening to this guy on radio today and he’s convinced from research and subterranean anomalies, that the site in Hounslow is former Templar chamber, a Holy of Holies where crusader treasure and maybe Holy Grail is stored... 

I'd have thought he must have a good reason to hunt for something if the EA are willing to do divresionary works, unless the works were scheduled anyway and it's just a convenient narrative for the Mail story.

Edited by Hopeful

The Holy Grail was nicked in a raid on safety deposit boxes in Shepherd's Bush in the 70s. A wrong 'un now named Phil the Pill took it as part of his share. He got into the drug trade in the 80s and smuggled it out to his villa on the Costa del Sol when the police were coming on top. It is now hidden behind the water pump in his pool house. That's what I heard anyway.

4 hours ago, SomersetMatt said:

He's been reading too many Ben Aaronovitch novels.

1 hour ago, Byron said:

I thought it was a corruption of 'Sang Royale'

which became Sangrail, then Grail.

It refers allegedly to the bloodline of Jesus and is not a solid object at all.

That was in that naff Da Vinci code film, I think.  

I wondered why the word would be in French, which I doubt was spoken widely in the area where Jesus lived, though I suppose the Templars might have spoken it as well as Latin. 

8 hours ago, Hopeful said:

I'd have thought he must have a good reason to hunt for something if the EA are willing to do divresionary works, unless the works were scheduled anyway and it's just a convenient narrative for the Mail story.

Surely that has to be the case, there's no way the EA would go to the trouble and expense of diverting the river just because some doley with an overactive imagination and too much time on his hands reckons there's a mythical object supposedly buried underneath it!

7 hours ago, Byron said:

I thought it was a corruption of 'Sang Royale'

which became Sangrail, then Grail.

It refers allegedly to the bloodline of Jesus and is not a solid object at all.

4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

That was in that naff Da Vinci code film, I think.  

I wondered why the word would be in French, which I doubt was spoken widely in the area where Jesus lived, though I suppose the Templars might have spoken it as well as Latin. 

Ah yes, the great 'mystery' surrounding the activities of a dodgy priest in Rennes-de-Chateau in the 19th Century. Huge speculation about the source of his wealth. Had he found buried treasure? Was he blackmailing a powerful masonic group linked to the Knights Templar?

No, that's all bullshit! The local bishop noticed that he was placing small ads, offering to say mass for your dear departed relatives - for a fee. Given the wide circulation of the publications he was putting the advertisements in, his scheme became vastly more successful you might anticipate. But the money didn't make it to the Diocese. Admittedly, it financed some grand construction work in Rennes; but when the Bishop told him to move parish, Sauniere effectively told them to fuck off, that he wouldn't need to take a salary to continue his 'ministry' in Rennes.

It's a fascinating story - but it doesn't need dressing up with masonic regalia and fairy tale motifs.

Is there any truth in Baigent and Leigh's hypothesis? I shall answer that question with another question. Why did they sue Random House for publishing the da Vinci Code?

You cannot copyright historical facts. You can of course, copyright a fictional work. It's your intellectual property - until seventy years after your death.

The tale of the Fisher King is in the public domain. I'd say it's time for a re-telling of it in the context of "vibrant and diverse" modern London, highlighting similarities to the medieval mindset that come with the cultural baggage of its new inhabitants.

3 hours ago, Royston said:

Surely that has to be the case, there's no way the EA would go to the trouble and expense of diverting the river

According to our amateur archaeologist, he has shown ‘evidence’ that the site is very likely a former Templar site and there is a 15ftx15ft chamber under the river. The size being the same as other Templar Holy of Holies. The river was not part of the geography in the medieval era, having been diverted by Henry VIII at a later date. 

It all makes perfect sense.

10 hours ago, Panther said:

Isn't the Holy Grail just a motif from Arthurian literature, and not even defined there.

That's how I understand it. Seeking the Grail is a metaphor for seeking personal redemption as you go off on a pilgrimage with the intent of doing good works.

It's not a two thousand year old rough cast china mug.

21 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's how I understand it. Seeking the Grail is a metaphor for seeking personal redemption as you go off on a pilgrimage with the intent of doing good works.

It's not a two thousand year old rough cast china mug.

Precisely. The whole point of the Quest is the transformation experienced through facing adversity. Not the actual object of the quest. That, you'd be just as likely to find closer to home in the first place - if you saw it in the correct perspective.

It's worth pointing out, that: within a framework of belief that sees simple bread and cheap red wine transformed into the flesh and blood of a living God, any vessel has the potential to be the grail, from the humblest clay pot to a richly ornamented chalice. It's not such a great leap to then realise, we are those vessels.