• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

The Great British Eccentric

Alexander Stuart Wortley (born 1899 in York, d. 1980), was an English eccentric.

A Royal Navy veteran, he served in the Battle of Jutland aboard HMS Agincourt as runner to Captain Thynne.

Wortley died aged 80 having lived his last 20 years in a green painted box in a garden in Rowley Cottage, Langley Park, Buckinghamshire, donated by his friend David Moreau. It measured 5 x 4 x 3 feet with an extension for his feet and small enough, he was quoted as saying, to keep women out. He paid no rent, rates or taxes and did not believe in insurance, pensions or governments. It was listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the smallest residence of the world.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Alexander Stuart Wortley (born 1899 in York, d. 1980), was an English eccentric.

A Royal Navy veteran, he served in the Battle of Jutland aboard HMS Agincourt as runner to Captain Thynne.

Wortley died aged 80 having lived his last 20 years in a green painted box in a garden in Rowley Cottage, Langley Park, Buckinghamshire, donated by his friend David Moreau. It measured 5 x 4 x 3 feet with an extension for his feet and small enough, he was quoted as saying, to keep women out. He paid no rent, rates or taxes and did not believe in insurance, pensions or governments. It was listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the smallest residence of the world.

Aww thanks for that, what a lovely old fella he was.

No 4. Wilf Lunn - Rastrick, Yorkshire

Have some of his signed prints, he was still going last year but his website is currenlty down.

www.wilflunn.com

Some good one liners on his now stagnant twitter feed:- https://twitter.com/wilflunn?lang=en

Here's an example; 'The pea muff shop of my childhood was opened in 1864 by a woman called ‘Sausage Sarah’, probably because a hot muff kept your sausage warm.'