Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Heart palpitations or not


spunko
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think I buggered up my heart about a decade ago, when going out involved necking 20 Red Bull and vodkas minimum. Ever since then I have to watch what caffeine I drink - max 3 coffees a day and that's pushing it. If I am not careful I get heart paliptations, or something similar to them.

Stupidly I decided to get pissed on Tia Maria on Boxing Day, drank half a bottle and had heart palipations that evening. The problem is that it's psychological - if I don't worry about them, then they go away. But I've still got them on and off, 2 days later. Not had them for years, possibly linked to stress as I have a lot of work stress at the moment.

I had tests and wore an ECG (?) band for a day, but it came back with nothing. Which suggests it's idiopathic or possibly not real at all, and completely psychological. Anyone knows what it might be or how to get rid of it?

* It feels like a larger than normal heartbeat, every once in a while, where you can 'feel' it in your chest. Again though the ECG showed nothing.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's most likely stress.

Have you seen a doctor? If it's anything other than stress its going to be something you're unlikely to be able to diagnose yourself. Having said that, It's worth checking your blood pressure to rule out a low blood pressure problem.

 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hail the Tripod
41 minutes ago, spunko said:

* It feels like a larger than normal heartbeat, every once in a while, where you can 'feel' it in your chest. Again though the ECG showed nothing.

I get something like like that in patches. Feels like your heart momentarily missed a beat and then hit a double hard one kickstarting itself back up again. I can go months without it happening then 3 times in a week.

Similarly mine started after a year long amphetamine and acid bender. I’m still alive and it seems to have got more infrequent over the last 25 years, so I don’t worry about it too much anymore. Although every now and again you get a particularly bad one and feel very mortal...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I get something like like that in patches. Feels like your heart momentarily missed a beat and then hit a double hard one kickstarting itself back up again. I can go months without it happening then 3 times in a week.

Similarly mine started after a year long amphetamine and acid bender. I’m still alive and it seems to have got more infrequent over the last 25 years, so I don’t worry about it too much anymore. Although every now and again you get a particularly bad one and feel very mortal...

The problem is that mine are, at their worst, 5 times every hour. :S

Which is why I am not sure that what I am describing is actually a heart palpitation but something else.

I've not had them this bad for ~8 years FWIW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like me, I used to have to neck vodka red bulls......

Then I had a few stressful contracts.......I remember flying out on hols to meet family and I was still getting palpitations on the plane (I'm not scared of flying)

It was defo stress/psychosomatic with me.....

Good luck and don't worry be happy!

Edited by 5min OCD speculator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spunko said:

I think I buggered up my heart about a decade ago, when going out involved necking 20 Red Bull and vodkas minimum. Ever since then I have to watch what caffeine I drink - max 3 coffees a day and that's pushing it. If I am not careful I get heart paliptations, or something similar to them.

Stupidly I decided to get pissed on Tia Maria on Boxing Day, drank half a bottle and had heart palipations that evening. The problem is that it's psychological - if I don't worry about them, then they go away. But I've still got them on and off, 2 days later. Not had them for years, possibly linked to stress as I have a lot of work stress at the moment.

I had tests and wore an ECG (?) band for a day, but it came back with nothing. Which suggests it's idiopathic or possibly not real at all, and completely psychological. Anyone knows what it might be or how to get rid of it?

* It feels like a larger than normal heartbeat, every once in a while, where you can 'feel' it in your chest. Again though the ECG showed nothing.

 

 

As others had said, probably stress. Take the first two fingers of your right hand and press them really firmly against the left side of your neck, a bit below your ear. Worked wonders for me. 
 

this is only a plaster, ditch what is stressing you in the longer term 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

As others had said, probably stress. Take the first two fingers of your right hand and press them really firmly against the left side of your neck, a bit below your ear. Worked wonders for me. 
 

this is only a plaster, ditch what is stressing you in the longer term 

How long do I do this for please?

To be honest I think stress is a factor but having consulted Reddit I think it's also some sort of dietary issue where I'm lacking magnesium or something. I've got really high sensitivity to salt and have wondered if I've got some health issue there for a while so need to see a professional. Not sure how given covid though! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

How long do I do this for please?

To be honest I think stress is a factor but having consulted Reddit I think it's also some sort of dietary issue where I'm lacking magnesium or something. I've got really high sensitivity to salt and have wondered if I've got some health issue there for a while so need to see a professional. Not sure how given covid though! 

Till the palpitations go away.  Only takes seconds/minutes. It really does work, or at least it did for me.  Got rid of the stressors and not had them since. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Learning to breathe correctly is fantastic for health, in my opinion. There’s a thread about it on the forum.

It’s extremely useful for when you’re worried or panicking about something. 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Van Lady said:

Learning to breathe correctly is fantastic for health, in my opinion

yeah this too.....diet and exercise soooooo important.......I haven't had any alcohol for coming up 5 years.....

I'll be out on my bike later and i might practice some death 'belly breathing' when I'm relaxing later...

Learn how to meditate, I'm shite at it, more practice needed....

I think we should all go on more 'cycling pilgrimages' :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Booked in at the doctor's for a telephone consultation.... in 2 weeks. Got to love the Holy NHS.

I suspect it might be anaemia, looking on Google. I also had a mouth ulcer at Christmas which I never get plus I do feel generally exhausted but put that down to winter blues. 

Bought a testing kit on Amazon in the meantime, it's telling that I can get an anemia test next day off Amazon but can't get one for love nor money on the Holy NHS....

Have fallen off the healthy eating wagon lately so wouldn't be surprised if it was anemia...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

See you mentioned dietary issue. Chanced on this a few minutes ago on GP, who knows.

...

Please can you all make sure your Potassium levels are up. It was known from back in March that the virus depletes the body of Potassium. The ACE2 is part of the system that regulates Potassium.

The symptoms of low potassium are fatigue, muscle twitches, unable to think, and irregular heart beats. It It is also made worse by too much stress. It also messes up the ability of the body to cope with salt and therefore high blood pressure after food.

The problem with Potassium is that it is stored, and needed, in the cells and nerves. The blood level is heavily regulated. Therefore any test of the blood does not indicate cell levels until it is extremely low.

  • Informative 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get one of these which will monitor it full time; I would guess £150.

 

Quote

 

Fitbit is enhancing the heart health-tracking abilities of its smartwatches by bringing the FibriCheck app to its Ionic and Versa devices, so users can measure their heart rate rhythm and detect health problems like atrial fibrillation (AFib).

The FibriCheck app will use the existing sensors to detect blood flow and is CE marked, which means it meets the performance standards for medical devices in the EU. In 2016, a study was conducted on the app on Fitbit devices that compared it with gold-standard medical 12-lead ECG machines and it was shown to be highly accurate in detecting atrial fibrillation, which means your heartbeat is irregular.

If you were to detect AFib a few times with the app then it would certainly be worth checking in with your doctor. Sometimes AFib can cause no symptoms, so being able to detect it using your watch is undoubtedly useful, since it can lead to a stroke.

 

 

https://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitness-trackers/8309/the-fitbit-versa-and-ionic-smartwatches-can-now-detect-an-irregular-heart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I had a proper ECG on for a few days, it never once picked up any anomalies. I do have a Fitbit Flex or whatever they're called so may as well give it a go for £150 on the newer one, if the GP doesn't spot anything.

Flipside of it all is I can finally find out my blood type; for some reason I have never known what mine is.

Edited by spunko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Certainly was/is stress for me. I had a brief spell taking some Propranolol (you can buy it online) when I was working non-stop and felt acute stress, at times it felt like I was having a mini heart attack. That stuff certainly helped calm the ticker down when it was at its worst but I would never rely on it, quite notable dry mouth side effects too. My longer term solution was to cut the working day down in hours, prioritise 8 hours sleep, cut caffeine intake majorly and reduce some of the alcohol intake. I still have issues now but it is a lot less. So certainly lifestyle induced.

I should also add it became much worse when I "noticed" it indicating too it is as much phycological as anything. In the same way I have nerve damage in my right hand after I glassed myself in my early 20s. Sometimes I don't notice it for days or weeks then all of a sudden I do and I can't get the constant pins-and-needles feeling to leave my conscious mind. More a constant annoyance the latter.

Edited by SillyBilly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, spunko said:

I had a proper ECG on for a few days, it never once picked up any anomalies. I do have a Fitbit Flex or whatever they're called so may as well give it a go for £150 on the newer one, if the GP doesn't spot anything.

Flipside of it all is I can finally find out my blood type; for some reason I have never known what mine is.

Per your OP though these are infrequent and come on unexpectedly; though usually associated with various chemical triggers.

Whilst you had your ECG on did you get heavily pissed or drink lots of Red Bull?  No because you were under observation as much as you would be in a ward.

I have a Fitbit Charge 3 which monitors pulse rate and gives a resting pulse rate as well as a history through the phone.  It works well but doesn't seem to meet your requirements as well as the two that I linked.

 

IME most people don't know their blood types.  I don't know mine; I rely upon it being in my medical records as I rely upon a mechanic looking up the right weight of oil for my car.

I used to change the oil myself but after a cold windy day on the drive and a face full of oil once the stream dwindled and the wind started blowing it I left it for the service.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, onlyme said:

Please can you all make sure your Potassium levels are up

I did say 'banana diet' in another thread ;)

And I've just had a Buddha bowl, hallelujah! but only cos it was reduced

I've just checked my '12 vits and 8 minerals' drugs and potassium ain't one of them, interesting....or not as Steve Davies might say xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last line in your OP sounds pretty much how I described a problem I was having a few years back to the doctor.

Was diagnosed as an atrioventricular block. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrioventricular_block

There are several classifications, mine was diagnosed as the 'benign'/first degree type using an EKG over a day/night (though I think in the day there were 2 occurrences). The condition was probably made to feel much worse than it is due to my resting heartrate at the time being ~45bpm. 

I don't have it, or at least don't notice it any more since I stopped cycling (now walking a decent amount instead).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...