DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Please install this government-approved Covid-tracing app...

unregistered_guest

unregistered_guest

Just visited Google Play on my phone to be greeted by a message saying something similar to the above.

There wasn't a "Fuck Off You Intrusive Bastards" button, so I just clicked the "Remind Me Later" option.

Has this already happened to you lot out there, or is this something new for you to all look forward to?

• Informative 2
Bornagain
1 minute ago, Stuffed said:

That’s what they want you to avoid by installing the app.

Nope.

They do not give a shit if you die. At the very best you are merely a statistic.

They only care about their political future and political legacy.

This is about them and their careers. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Agree 5
7 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

Nope.

They do not give a shit if you die. At the very best you are merely a statistic.

They only care about their political future and political legacy.

This is about them and their careers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not if you’re one of their voters...

• Agree 1
Bornagain
Just now, Stuffed said:

Afraid you have missed a trick. Dead voters don't vote - apart from in US elections:)

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
Sucralose Ray Leonard

Now that the bastards have stopped Google Music from working, even as a standalone player, i have zero interest in giving them any more money or installing shite from the store.

• Agree 1
Chewing Grass
5 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Now that the bastards have stopped Google Music from working, even as a standalone player, i have zero interest in giving them any more money or installing shite from the store.

They will invent their own currency soon, your 'employer' will pay you in Google 'credits' and you will only be able to spend them in the Google Store on 'approved' Google Safe goods and You Will Be Happy.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 4
One percent
1 hour ago, unregistered_guest said:

Just visited Google Play on my phone to be greeted by a message saying something similar to the above.

There wasn't a "Fuck Off You Intrusive Bastards" button, so I just clicked the "Remind Me Later" option.

Has this already happened to you lot out there, or is this something new for you to all look forward to?

Just buy a cheap basic phone and an unregistered sim. What I’m going to do once i get out of the backwater I call home. 

Bornagain
1 hour ago, Stuffed said:

If you were a million of their voters, then maybe they would care - but if they also killed a million of the other sides voters, then none of you matter.

Remember, you are only one vote, and unless you are the swing voter in the tightest constituency then you simply don't matter at all.

The only thing that matters is their career.

• Agree 5
Hail the Tripod

My iPhone 6 isn’t compatible with the tracing apps. It appears that Apple have recently set about absolutely destroying the performance. We have one for each family member (so four total) in this household, so it’s not just a hardware issue on mine. I wonder if this is just their routine nerfing of older models, or specifically to push people off the non-“covid tracing” models.

Harley
7 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My iPhone 6 isn’t compatible with the tracing apps. It appears that Apple have recently set about absolutely destroying the performance. We have one for each family member (so four total) in this household, so it’s not just a hardware issue on mine. I wonder if this is just their routine nerfing of older models, or specifically to push people off the non-“covid tracing” models.

I had an iPad once.  Could have been the first model.  They let me irreversibly update the OS even though the hardware could not handle it.  Never touched Apple since.

PS:  Apple disciples please form an orderly queue.....

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 4
Rare Bear
22 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

What's wrong with VLC?

spunko

Just get the COVID 1984 app and manually type in the venue. Works for me so far without issue. 

Note that helpfully the Test and Trace notice outside each venue spells out the name so just copy that down carefully and double check your spelling...

• Agree 1
23rdian
17 hours ago, Harley said:

I had an iPad once.  Could have been the first model.  They let me irreversibly update the OS even though the hardware could not handle it.  Never touched Apple since.

PS:  Apple disciples please form an orderly queue.....

I have tried apple but just cannot get on with the iTunes / iCloud activation bullshit.

Guy from YouTube also says the location service is built into the actual hardware so you can never ever disable it (5m30s approx in)

Edited by 23rdian
Melchett
23 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My iPhone 6 also recently bricked. I did wonder if it was this sort of thing but then I checked when I got it - about 6 years ago, in which time the Lion battery must have gone through way more charge discharge cycles than its design life.... so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt this one time. 

Face it, if we’re still running iPhone 6s we’re just tightwads....

39 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Face it, if we’re still running iPhone 6s we’re just tightwads....

No -- that's just the 'technology always gets better and you don't want to be left behind' argument.

And alternative argument is 'It met my original requirement well, and the requirement hasn't changed -- so how come the device performance has deteriorated?'

Melchett
11 minutes ago, dgul said:

No -- that's just the 'technology always gets better and you don't want to be left behind' argument.

And alternative argument is 'It met my original requirement well, and the requirement hasn't changed -- so how come the device performance has deteriorated?'

Because the battery is knackered having done more than twice it’s design life.

mooncat69
1 minute ago, Melchett said:

Just pop off the back cover and replace the battery...

• Lol 2
43 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Sure, replace the battery.

It would help if Apple had made the battery easy to replace, but it isn't that difficult.

• Agree 1
On 28/12/2020 at 19:51, unregistered_guest said:

Well, I had the message, but only because I visited Play to see it.  I don't think I've ever visited Play before on that phone.

I don't get that message on my Nokia, that I now use for most purposes.

Melchett
1 hour ago, dgul said:

Sure, replace the battery.

It would help if Apple had made the battery easy to replace, but it isn't that difficult.

Work just bought me a new iPhone. That’s even easier.

I don’t own a phone personally.