DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Just watching 'Please Sir! The movie'. Just like some of the Carry On films, they remind me of a time i never knew, but remember. 

What have you been drinking Ray? I hear you say. Well, i grew up watching these shows and to some extent, the early 80s were visually the same as the 70s for the working class. (Maybe ive made my early years up but photos suggest i'm somewhat correct)

Anyway, Please Sir! starts with a nice looking London. Whilst half the "kids" live in tower blocks, "Sir" walks out of a house that i suspect would now be a mere dream for a Teacher, and any other working class professional. (Well, the middle class too)

Any Dosbodders grow up around this time and remember it like this? I dont mean all white either, as many of the class and school are people of colour. One lad even takes his prayer mat to the camp site.

Just seems a time that i suspect i would have enjoyed living in.

2 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Just watching 'Please Sir! The movie'. Just like some of the Carry On films, they remind me of a time i never knew, but remember. 

What have you been drinking Ray? I hear you say. Well, i grew up watching these shows and to some extent, the early 80s were visually the same as the 70s for the working class. (Maybe ive made my early years up but photos suggest i'm somewhat correct)

Anyway, Please Sir! starts with a nice looking London. Whilst half the "kids" live in tower blocks, "Sir" walks out of a house that i suspect would now be a mere dream for a Teacher, and any other working class professional. (Well, the middle class too)

Any Dosbodders grow up around this time and remember it like this? I dont mean all white either, as many of the class and school are people of colour. One lad even takes his prayer mat to the camp site.

Just seems a time that i suspect i would have enjoyed living in.

They’re almost all a fantasy version of London. Despite the rhetoric on here it’s never been and clean and safe as it is presently. Back, then the reality was a lot of grim seediness where a lot of places were genuinely menacing and most visitors would never stray away from the main drags. Back then prostitutes were very openly walking the streets touting for business in daylight.

Prior to the 80s when house breaking became popular, suburban London was pretty safe. Yes fights in pubs/clubs etc but nothing shocking. I seem to remember nicely kept front gardens ,well tended parks, train stations with toilets and certainly no beggars.

What the hell happened?

Btw. Plenty of OK looking council estates around.

Central London is very safe and has been for a long time. Ok there will be some level of tourist pickpocketing but I'm not aware of that happening. Violence is very rare. Some of the nightclub areas are further afield in shitholes like Hoxton or Clapham. Yes parts of Clapham are very nice but there are dodgy parts. An ordinary citizen is not going to get into any trouble unless they stray into a shitspot at night. There is no reason for someone to do that.

Nights out in other parts of the country have long been far more dangerous. You don't have lads looking for a fight in central London. Maybe some of the suburbs like Croydon.

I could walk through Peckham today with no bother. I wouldn't want to but I would be ok. Wouldn't be the case if I was recognised. Or looked dodgy. So long as you're not black you are very unlikely to get into any trouble unless you're looking for it. Black on black crime is a serious problem. The only places you need to be careful as a white person are some housing estates in Asian areas.

One thing that has certainly improved since the 70s/80s is the tube. Back then there was no real barrier control in most stations, so the entire network was basically a dosshouse on wheels for drunks, tramps and weirdos. Stations like Camden Town had permanent drinking schools on the platform benches, with trickles of p*ss running onto the tracks, and it was normal to have purple-can philosophers ranting in the carriages.

I remember when the tube got cleaned up in the late 90s and being shocked when I saw two BTP constables arresting a cider-man and marching him off a train - I'd never seen something like that happen before.

15 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

Were all the pupils 45 years old?

In the ‘Please Sir’ film the pupils were indeed played by actors who in many cases were in their 30s. However today, in many London schools, the pupils really are actually in their 30s as they come from Syria and the Middle East.

4 hours ago, chicker said:

Prior to the 80s when house breaking became popular, suburban London was pretty safe. Yes fights in pubs/clubs etc but nothing shocking. I seem to remember nicely kept front gardens ,well tended parks, train stations with toilets and certainly no beggars.

What the hell happened?

Btw. Plenty of OK looking council estates around.

The peripheral towns weren’t back in the late 70s and early 80s. Places like Crawley, Slough, Bracknell and (to a lesser extent) Woking were rough as fuck relative to central London.

2 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

One thing that has certainly improved since the 70s/80s is the tube. Back then there was no real barrier control in most stations, so the entire network was basically a dosshouse on wheels for drunks, tramps and weirdos. Stations like Camden Town had permanent drinking schools on the platform benches, with trickles of p*ss running onto the tracks, and it was normal to have purple-can philosophers ranting in the carriages.

I remember when the tube got cleaned up in the late 90s and being shocked when I saw two BTP constables arresting a cider-man and marching him off a train - I'd never seen something like that happen before.

Funny, my memories of the tube in the 70s are if it being much less crowded, getting a seat was the rule rather than the exception and that you could smoke in a couple of the carriages, the second from the front and the second from the back.

Just now, Rare Bear said:

Funny, my memories of the tube in the 70s are if it being much less crowded, getting a seat was the rule rather than the exception and that you could smoke in a couple of the carriages, the second from the front and the second from the back.

You're right about that. But there did seem to be a lot more winos and oddballs on the tube in those days. Nowadays you get the beggars who come through the end doors announcing their sob story to the carriage, or the Romanian gypsy accordion players, so I don't suppose we've moved on such a great deal.

19 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Perhaps. But in the late 70's I saw The Plank (1967) which I think was filmed in East London, and I remember thinking how empty the roads seemed compared with the busy roads of 1977.

Of course it may have been filmed on a quiet day, but there was barely a car in sight.

I went to Merthyr Tydfil in the 1990s and hardly anyone had a car parked outside their house there.

Interesting fact: The plank that was in the 1967 film was sold at auction in December 2011 for £1,050.

12 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

P.S. I trust that I have now, in true DOSBODS fashion, successfully derailed this thread into a discussion about planks.

Yes, you plank!

15 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Interesting fact: The plank that was in the 1967 film was sold at auction in December 2011 for £1,050.

Whats more interesting is that the Plank now goes by the name Matt Hancock.