DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Billy Connolly, what a beautiful human being

1 hour ago, NewryH said:

He's a great story teller. He may be a  bit of a luvvie now,  but his early stuff was great.  

No it wasn't. 

One of the two of his sketches which I can remember was the "jobbie whichter"

He's in a queue for a toilet, might have been on a plane, and he goes in. There is already a turd in the toilet which won't flush. He has a wee, flushes, and the turd is still there. The joke is supposed to revolve around the embarrassment of coming out of the toilet and trying to indicate to the next person in the queue that the turd is not in fact yours.

Turns out that the Scottish word for turd is "jobbie" and over about ten minutes he elaborately storytells an idea for a device which will "whicht" the jobbie away which I think is like whisk it away or wish it away.

Complete with audience laugh track utterly collapsing with hilarity every time he says jobbie. WTAF.

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

I found his stuff mildly amusing at best but I don't think that's the point @haroldshand is making.  He has a great love and enthusiasm for life itself, which is evident when you hear him speaking off stage.  That trait is very endearing.

I really loved his “World Tours” of Australia and Scotland. Kind of in the spirit of Michael Palin. When BBC was still bearable.

11 hours ago, Funn3r said:

No it wasn't. 

One of the two of his sketches which I can remember was the "jobbie whichter"

He's in a queue for a toilet, might have been on a plane, and he goes in. There is already a turd in the toilet which won't flush. He has a wee, flushes, and the turd is still there. The joke is supposed to revolve around the embarrassment of coming out of the toilet and trying to indicate to the next person in the queue that the turd is not in fact yours.

Turns out that the Scottish word for turd is "jobbie" and over about ten minutes he elaborately storytells an idea for a device which will "whicht" the jobbie away which I think is like whisk it away or wish it away.

Complete with audience laugh track utterly collapsing with hilarity every time he says jobbie. WTAF.

It's all in the delivery and timing.

I laughed until it literally hurt at a Roy Chubby Brown show despite the material mostly not being that great.  If Michael MacIntyre had done the exact same show I might have had a couple of chuckles.  Ken Dodd was the same and one of his scriptwriters said about how he roared with laughter when Ken Dodd told one of his jokes despite him knowing the joke having written it and not thinking it that good a joke in the first place.

Where I have seen the clips of a younger Billy he did have this intensity and timing.  I'd have been pissing myself when he said jobby as well because it's a cue to laugh within the rhythm of the joke; like punctuation.

12 hours ago, spunko said:

He used to be funny until he started to get too coarse and over rely on swearing as filler. Should have retired 20 years ago IMHO.

Maybe but who else would have the balls to perform that suicide bomber sketch mattydread posted above? Most would be too scared of the social stigma from lovies let alone the real potential danger that stating people who spend all their time reading one book will be nutters.

I don't know how old that clip is but I doubt anyone would take that on now.  Which is a shame as these people need to be ridiculed because they are ridiculous. Also shows how far things have regressed in the last decade. I remember seeing that on mainstream TV and there isn't a chance it would be shown now.