DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Graphics editing programs

DTMark

Question

Have always used Photoshop but it's getting slower and slower to the point where it's now becoming useless.

My main use of it is to resize and optimise images.

From start to finish - double-click the image, wait for Photoshop to open, wait for it to do the licence check, then to start responding, then draw the image, resize it and save it can be 2 minutes or more. Add another 30 seconds or so while the program thinks about something after I've closed it before it finally vanishes.

I could get a quicker computer but then I could also just buy a graphics program outright (and so not pay monthly, like now) which basically does what Photoshop 6 used to do - snap open quickly, do what I need to, and then close just as quickly. Any suggestions..

4 answers to this question

Last time I looked - Krita, tried it and seemed good, open source and free, definitely give that a try.

There's also the older versions, the whole suite including CS2 was free to download  use so carried on using that on windows, must be on the web somewhere still.  Have stuck with that mainly due to familiarity and some plugins / automation that I use now and again.

5 hours ago, DTMark said:

Have always used Photoshop but it's getting slower and slower to the point where it's now becoming useless.

My main use of it is to resize and optimise images.

There is an open source program that is just as comprehensive as Adobe Photoshop. 

https://www.darktable.org/ 

I've downloaded it but not used it yet. It's available for most operating systems. It may or not be less resource intensive than Photoshop.