DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Covid Baby Boom?

JoeDavola

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

The saddest part of that statement is that the best two university lecturers can afford is a two bed flat.

Have they considered going on benefits?

Not quite. 

They are Iranian and that means they genetically programmed to be obsessed with owning property. 

They were living in Ireland and have a big house there plus an apartment in Tehran. They moved to the UK because there was very little opportunity to progress in their fields. 

If they sold the house in Ireland they could easily afford a 3/4 Bed in Southampton with a moderate mortgage. 

They could afford to rent a bigger property but mrs lecturer likes everything sparkly and new. She was amazed my wife picks up stuff (furniture) off Ebay markets. Mrs B's response - well thats how we afford a 4 bed house in Billericay. Not quite but the point was we are careful and make our purchases wisely. 

• Informative 2

The Generation Game
1 hour ago, Malthus said:

Nephew has knocked up his covid playmate 

Chubby girl with tats, bound to end well 😢😢

Welcome to the family, Honey. 

• Lol 1

24 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Wifeys cousins are stuck in a two bed apartment in Southampton. Both are Uni lecturers and they have two young kids driving them insane. 

The older kid (age 6) would rive me insane too - he spends half the day watching youtube science (both parents are boffins) documentaries then repeating them verbatim to any nearby audience whether they want to hear it or notxD. Our son although a similar age prefers to play with the younger one who is 3 because his main interests are toy cars and tearing around with a football. 

Child needs a video camera to record their own.

The Generation Game
3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Thats an arabic name (cough - spit). Being proper persian expats they gave their sons Irish names. 

I thought as much. It just rhymed better than Reza's world. 

Edit: on seeing your response in full I guess O'Reilly's World?

Edited by The Generation Game

3 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

I thought as much. It just rhymed better than Reza's world. 

Edit: on seeing your response in full I guess O'Reilly's World?

One is called Raddin which sounds a bit arabic/ persian but is infact Irish. 

12 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

I think I read somewhere it is more difficult for women to conceive during stressful times, a sort of natural defence against being pregnant when it could be dangerous. Baby booms tend to occur during a period of safety which follows a period of danger, ie in the immediate post-war era. We're still in the period of danger/uncertainty and will be for the foreseeable future.

I'd imagine the £3-£400 a week in benefits that's readily available to those who know how to fully exploit the ''full time single mummy'' routine would go a long way toward soothing any feelings of pandemic related stress and anxiety for any females feeling a bit broody right now.

Ash4781b
On 30/12/2020 at 20:22, JoeDavola said:

Saw on Facebook that two different blokes in my year in school's wives have given birth in the last week.

This would put the date of conception around the time when lockdown started.

Any other reports of this? Will we see a covid baby boom?

I see it’s like the house price thread :) . So we will now see a dramatic collapse in the UK birth rate? The chancellor will bring out a scheme ‘make babies to help out’ - offering cash back.

There won't be much time for people to reproduce. It will be straight from the peleton machine, to walking the new expensive dog, and playing the new guitar.

Yadda yadda yadda
20 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Someone I know had a baby last night. 

Before or after midnight? Both are shit days for a birthday.

2 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

The chancellor will bring out a scheme ‘make babies to help out’

I'm sure the Prime Minister is already doing his bit!

• Lol 1

sarahbell
3 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Before or after midnight? Both are shit days for a birthday.

Yesterday I think 

Yadda yadda yadda
8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Yesterday I think 

I had to work out when yesterday was. Apparently it was last year.

As a kid parties will not be as good as they could be. People will be away. Too soon after Christmas for lots of presents. Everything will be more expensive. As a young adult it is probably ok as everyone will be out. 18th birthday will be special. Getting older and everything is more expensive again. At least you have the next day off work (assuming they bother with work). New Year's Day is probably a worse birthday as few will want to do anything.

Being born in 2020 means that just about everyone will remember how old you are.

Good luck to the baby and family.

Edited by Yadda yadda yadda
  • Agree 1

Jazztraveller
12 hours ago, Malthus said:

Nephew has knocked up his covid playmate 

Chubby girl with tats, bound to end well 😢😢

Malthus showing up on a population thread...

I see what you did there... 🤔

• Informative 1
  • Lol 3

• 9 months later...
Chewing Grass
On 30/12/2020 at 20:22, JoeDavola said:

Saw on Facebook that two different blokes in my year in school's wives have given birth in the last week.

This would put the date of conception around the time when lockdown started.

Any other reports of this? Will we see a covid baby boom?

I have done the graph, noticed there were birth stats from the midwives as well as antenatal bookings so I have added the numbers and combined the two for handy reference.

So Chewy Fact Check = YES

There has been a baby boom up from average 34000 per month to 44000 per month, a 30% increase so we will need more schools.

Screenshot from 2021-10-08 20-34-05.png

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/maternity-services-monthly-statistics

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Informative 2

steppensheep
19 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

There has been a baby boom up from average 34000 per month to 44000 per month, a 30% increase so we will need more schools.

You can't claim anything before about Jan 21 as being a consequence of covid, so it looks like an upward trend was already underway.

Edited by steppensheep

Alonso Quijano

Ah, but how many are native British mothers?

You would have expected a baby boom under lockdown conditions.

Babies being born from full-term vaccinated mothers in six months onward will be of interest.

• Agree 2

Chewing Grass
18 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

You can't claim anything before about Jan 21 as being a consequence of covid, so it looks like an upward trend was already underway.

At the moment its now't to do with the vaxxes and more to do with shacked-up folk having nothing to do but shag.

This therefore makes any modest changes now difficult to attribute, vax or not.

However they do seem to have levelled off so I guess anybody who wanted one has gone and done it.

Edit: Was more-or-less level up to Feb 20

Edited by Chewing Grass

Yadda yadda yadda
2 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Ah, but how many are native British mothers?

You would have expected a baby boom under lockdown conditions.

Babies being born from full-term vaccinated mothers in six months onward will be of interest.

One of my customers has just gone on maternity leave. One of our developers has just gone on maternity leave. This is well above the mode figure of 0. Both foreign born (I think, I haven't actually asked).

5 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

At the moment its now't to do with the vaxxes and more to do with shacked-up folk having nothing to do but shag.

This therefore makes any modest changes now difficult to attribute, vax or not.

However they do seem to have levelled off so I guess anybody who wanted one has gone and done it.

Edit: Was more-or-less level up to Feb 20

Nine months?

• Agree 1