DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Idea for a new investment scheme

Having listened to my French wife who is lamenting the loss of the erasmus scheme, which she used in the early 90s to go to a UK University, I have an idea for an investment scheme that would appeal to the supporters of erasmus. 

Here's how it works:

For every £5 you invest. I give you back £1. No minimum investment required. Flexible terms available. 

FSA warning: You will not get all of your investment back. Lack of investment returns guaranteed. 

From the sound of my wife and friends there will be millions of investors. 

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

I don't understand the issue with losing Erasmus.

• It was a reasonable enough system that supported children wanting to study overseas, but limited to Europe.
  • We've replaced it with a reasonable enough system of supporting children wanting to study overseas, but not limited to Europe.

You missed out the bit where the new scheme will cost £150 million less per year, and benefit twice the number of students. 

Edited by the gardener
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Have we?

Have I missed something?

Well, the intention is to replace it with 'the Turing scheme'.  A rather clever yet low-brow play on words that I approve of.

The usual moaners are protesting that Erasmus is a complex system that won't be trivial to replicate in non-EU UK.  I'd say that it is mainly an administrative system that should be trivial to replicate.

Aaaaahhhh... Erasmus. 

Guess which country hosted the most students? Yep, racist, xenophobic old England (although we had been recently overtaken by Spain). 

Yet another thing that Europe got more out of than we did. 

I'm not even sure what Erasmus was for, any student anywhere in Europe could study anywhere in Europe anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Aaaaahhhh... Erasmus. 

Guess which country hosted the most students? Yep, racist, xenophobic old England (although we had been recently overtaken by Spain). 

Yet another thing that Europe got more out of than we did. 

I'm not even sure what Erasmus was for, any student anywhere in Europe could study anywhere in Europe anyway. 

I got some extra Erasmus cash when I studied abroad for a year. No idea what the scheme was all about, but free money is free money.

It's not as though I wouldn't have gone had the Erasmus cash not been available.

5 hours ago, the gardener said:

Having listened to my French wife who is lamenting the loss of the erasmus scheme, which she used in the early 90s to go to a UK University, I have an idea for an investment scheme that would appeal to the supporters of erasmus.

My missus is happy. She says the students she has who go off and study in the UK don't come back speaking better English than those that stay at her uni - they pick up a load of bad grammar of the locals, innit, and they also lose the capacity to work in the French system.