DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Rutland the blip

sarahbell

Ceremonial county
• Ranked 45th of 48
Population (mid-2019 est.) 39,697
• Ranked 47th of 48
Density 104/km2 (270/sq mi)

Image may contain: text that says "Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4"

Oldham
3,998 people per square mile (1,544 per km²).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I am about 3 miles from the Rutland county border. I wonder if they will let me in? It contains my nearest motorcycle shop.

Nah mate, it's Corby Asda for you now. You're going to want a proper gas mask, not for the covid, for the soap dodgers who only leave the house over the festive period. 

• Agree 1

Caravan Monster
3 hours ago, Calcutta said:

Nah mate, it's Corby Asda for you now. You're going to want a proper gas mask, not for the covid, for the soap dodgers who only leave the house over the festive period. 

I got lost in Corby the other day looking for the galvanising factory. It's a weird area with rough towns with large industrial zones indispersed by idyllic villages and countryside.

• Agree 1

Austin Allegro
6 hours ago, sarahbell said:
Ceremonial county
• Ranked 45th of 48
Population (mid-2019 est.) 39,697
• Ranked 47th of 48
Density 104/km2 (270/sq mi)

Image may contain: text that says "Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4"

Oldham
3,998 people per square mile (1,544 per km²).

If only Rutland Weekend Television were still going, Eric Idle would be doing investigative journalism into this...'as you might say'...

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

I got lost in Corby the other day looking for the galvanising factory. ...

I know we've been going on about zinc on this site, but it won't do you any good in the metallic form.

• Lol 2

The Generation Game
4 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

I got lost in Corby the other day looking for the galvanising factory. It's a weird area with rough towns with large industrial zones indispersed by idyllic villages and countryside.

Do the Scots segregate themselves in the former only?

• Agree 1

Caravan Monster
15 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Do the Scots segregate themselves in the former only?

I didn't stay long enough to find out, it's someway outside my normal range. I believe the towns in that part of Northamptonshire are also home to the bright young things that commute to high powered jobs in London but can't afford to live there (well used to pre 2020) so it's probably getting gentrified a bit. The Scottish steel workers must be starting to die off by now.

22 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

I didn't stay long enough to find out, it's someway outside my normal range. I believe the towns in that part of Northamptonshire are also home to the bright young things that commute to high powered jobs in London but can't afford to live there (well used to pre 2020) so it's probably getting gentrified a bit. The Scottish steel workers must be starting to die off by now.

Well , they are, but don't forget they did breed a lot before doing so.

• Agree 1

Caravan Monster
5 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Well , they are, but don't forget they did breed a lot before doing so.

Do their offspring go with Scottish identity or are they English Midlanders?

10 hours ago, MrPin said:

I am about 3 miles from the Rutland county border. I wonder if they will let me in? It contains my nearest motorcycle shop.

Is that the one in Uppingham?  Is it still there O.o

4 hours ago, Libspero said:

Is that the one in Uppingham?  Is it still there O.o

It was there when I went for the MOT in September.

Libspero
4 hours ago, MrPin said:

It was there when I went for the MOT in September.

Takes me back..  the Hardly Dangerous garage was a major landmark on my route to school 30 years ago.  Nice to know it’s still there.

19 hours ago, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

You mean more people isn't necessarily better, and may actually be harmful to us?! Say it ain't so. The scales hath fallen from mine eyes

Weird innit.

I'm still waiting to see all these supposed benefits of having an ever expanding population (implemented through mass immigration and encouraging/rewarding our native feckless breeders)

For some reason all I'm seeing so far (23 years and counting) is every possible socio/economic measure of quality of life in this country getting gradually worse and worse... and worse.

Edited by Royston
  • Agree 3