DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Death of a hipster..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or London tosser meet EE driver.  

If you think that accident was anything other than 100% the DPD driver's fault then do everyone a favour and post your licence back to the DVSA, because you obviously haven't got a fucking clue.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to who you hate more - hipsters or DPD drivers.

Its the "Fucking 'rong with you" thud "argh" that gets me.

Ive been knocked off before but this prick deserved it more than most. No helmet by the look of things either. (Or a top hat)

Edited by Sucralose Ray Leonard

My father went through a phase of collecting various forms of boneshakers, with iron then solid rubber tyres. They really were dangerous, especially those which could gather speed. I expect the rider in the video has a replica machine with pneumatic tyres.

ETA historically Ordinary Bicycles often had a brake on the solid rubber tyre, but I guess that wouldn't work with a pneumatic. IIRC if too vigorously applied the brake would throw the rider over the front

Ordinary bicycle ca 1885 52 inch 2911 - Yesterdays

Edited by Caravan Monster

The cyclist appears to have very little road sense.

Even if the van driver turned right without indicating, he (the cyclist) should have noticed that there was a road on the left, and realised there was a possibility that oncoming traffic, or traffic behind him, might turn into it, and he should have slowed down accordingly.

When I'm cycling I check behind me just before I pass a turning on my left. Every single time - I've been 'left hooked' by motorists too many times in the past.

1 minute ago, steppensheep said:

I guess they're pretty difficult to manoeuver. If he'd kept going in a straight line, he'd have missed him.

It's a known affect - 'target fixation'. Affects motorcyclists mainly - you end up getting drawn toward the thing you are trying to avoid.

Anyway, I can just imagine what sort of utter bellend would ride a penny farthing round London. And no doubt social media will hound the DPD driver and DPD will be forced to show how virtuous they are and sack him. If that happens then I hope there is a one of those whip-round things online cos I'd happily buy him a pint.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I was just about to say this.

Why would you think that cycling a bike with no brakes is a good idea in London traffic?  Or any traffic?

No Darwin award though as it was just a fall.

I want to know if he landed with his arms at a jaunty angle like they do in Family Guy.

It would be somehow fitting Lois..

53 minutes ago, Bandit Banzai said:

It's a known affect - 'target fixation'. Affects motorcyclists mainly - you end up getting drawn toward the thing you are trying to avoid.

I don't suffer from what was called object fixation when I was a lad.

The RAF looked for people like me for fighter pilot candidates.

Unfortunately for me I do suffer from an elevated level of self preservation so they left me alone.

1 hour ago, Bandit Banzai said:

Anyway, I can just imagine what sort of utter bellend would ride a penny farthing round London. And no doubt social media will hound the DPD driver and DPD will be forced to show how virtuous they are and sack him. If that happens then I hope there is a one of those whip-round things online cos I'd happily buy him a pint.

I've got this condition.

The only difference is, the DPD van is a nutty French woman.

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

I don't suffer from what was called object fixation when I was a lad.

The RAF looked for people like me for fighter pilot candidates.

Unfortunately for me I do suffer from an elevated level of self preservation so they left me alone.

I only found out about it today. That clip was being discussed elsewhere. I had a look on youtube for examples. Fascinating stuff.

2 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

The cyclist appears to have very little road sense.

Even if the van driver turned right without indicating, he (the cyclist) should have noticed that there was a road on the left, and realised there was a possibility that oncoming traffic, or traffic behind him, might turn into it, and he should have slowed down accordingly.

When I'm cycling I check behind me just before I pass a turning on my left. Every single time - I've been 'left hooked' by motorists too many times in the past.

I agree. He was hurtling along. There is a chap in Swansea who rides one on the main sea-front road. He can go at a fair lick with that huge front wheel. Personally I think such a bike is unrealistic for modern traffic if not downright dangerous. 

I watched the video countless times now. I still cannot make my mind up whether he turned left hoping to avoid the van or whether he just turned and rode into the van? As a cyclist I know how instinctive it can be to wrongly turn towards the object you are trying to avoid.

He lets out a distinctive moan. Did he break anything I wonder? 

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

Theres a reason (or two or three) why the velocipedes which replaced penny farthings were originally called Safety Bicycles.

In this video we witness a number of those reasons.

"Right, sir. You can have 3 points on your licence or attend a safety awareness course on how to drive in the vicinity of penny farthings". 

42 minutes ago, Bandit Banzai said:

I only found out about it today. That clip was being discussed elsewhere. I had a look on youtube for examples. Fascinating stuff.

A few years ago there was helmet cam footage from a motorcyclist who died in a crash In Norfolk. A classic example of object fixation.