DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Software, books, teaching programs to help develop fluency in reading "fake books"/chord symbols on a keyboard

DocH

Hi,

I rarely venture beyond the Off-Topic topic [if that's not a contradiction] but I wanted to ask the Dosbods hive mind for recommendations for software / books / teaching programs to help develop fluency in reading chord shapes.

I've got a decent ear [ie I can distinguish by ear the common triads and sevenths - can recognise a dominant 13th with a flat ninth, for example - unless they're in very odd inversions].

There are loads and loads of programs that seem to claim to do the above, and I'm hoping for some recommendations to help me choose just one or two out of all the myriad.

I'm not looking to develop a hyper- jazz-like feel - I don't think every triad should automatically be elevated into a 7th, for example - I'm looking to develop fluency in rapidly constructing chords from chord shapes and moving fluently from chord to chord, adding appropriate but no OTT broken chords, and so on.

Any thoughts?

Edited by DocH

Bobthebuilder
5 minutes ago, DocH said:

Any thoughts?

What instrument are you playing? If its guitar then a good thing to learn is all the chord inversions, so you can play a whole song without moving your hand much around the fret board, like playing open chords but on a bar shape. I play a bit like that. When I played in bands I got the nickname "lazy" because it did not look like I was doing much.

I know nothing about books or programs to help with this I'm afraid.

Just now, Bobthebuilder said:

What instrument are you playing? If its guitar then a good thing to learn is all the chord inversions, so you can play a whole song without moving your hand much around the fret board, like playing open chords but on a bar shape. I play a bit like that. When I played in bands I got the nickname "lazy" because it did not look like I was doing much.

I know nothing about books or programs to help with this I'm afraid.

Hi!

and thanks for responding.

It's for the keyboard. I have played guitar a bit in the past, and saxophone too, but nowadays it's keyboard. Rather different from the guitar since, as you say, you can slide fixed positions up and down the neck, but you can't quite do that on a keyboard.

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, DocH said:

Hi!

and thanks for responding.

It's for the keyboard. I have played guitar a bit in the past, and saxophone too, but nowadays it's keyboard. Rather different from the guitar since, as you say, you can slide fixed positions up and down the neck, but you can't quite do that on a keyboard.

Just play the black keys as my father used to say.

Don't know much about pianos so can't help I'm afraid. Good luck with it, I wish I could play the piano better, but self-taught from triads and adding minor, 7ths, suspended 4ths etc.

Boogie Woogie Hannon might be useful to you.

The exercises are all in the key of C so you get to practice transposing as well as learning a bit of boogie.

It starts off easy, 1st YT and gets harder, 2nd YT is #74

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1