DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Jan 2021: 30 day ‘water fast’

Vendetta

Vendetta

Right here goes: 

I trialled this last January - and did 21 days without any ill effects. (See “long fasts” thread).

I have done a couple of 3 day and 5 day ‘water fasts’ since.

However since the April lockdown I took to the booze like never before - and as a consequence I’ve been eating ‘loads of carbs’ and other shite. 

I also had a bad back injury and as a result have had very severe sciatica - which is hopefully nearly cured. 

Suffice to say at present  I feel mentally lethargic, lots of brain fog, and generally shitty. Sleeping is crap and my guts are in a sorry state.

I need to get myself sorted.

Weight this morning: 16st 10lbs (6’ 4”).

Anyone else fancy it? 

• Informative 3

stop_the_craziness

Me neither, but I'll hold your coat and cheer you on from the sidelines.

I've started cutting down on carbs, sugar and wheat and replacing them with better alternatives and I'm already feeling better for that but I don't want to lose any more weight so I'm not doing anything too hardcore.

• Cheers 1

Hail the Tripod

I am quite tempted to do a week. It would have to be water and green tea though. Caffeine withdrawal would make it unbearable otherwise.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

JoeDavola

Anyone who wants to try fasting should investigate Valter Longo’s protocol - lasts about 5 days on reduced calories and mimicks the health benefits of an actual fast.  

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

Vendetta

Day 2:

16st 6lbs : lost 4lbs (all fluid I’d imagine)

Yesterday without food was pretty good. 

Had a nice day. Felt fine.

Managed to get in a 5km fast walk around the locality. 

Slept reasonably ok. Strange vivid dreams. Woke ok and went off to manage a youth football team - and have returned and have a ‘proper headache’ coming on. Feel a little shitty 5/10 on the ‘feel good scale’....

Feel proper tired too. Was planning on doing the same 5km walk but I’ve pied it off as I don’t know if I’d get round!

Been drinking plain herbal teas for hydration as lips feel very dry.

Ordered these to protect against electrolyte imbalance and cramps etc... zero cals....

Used some laxatives to ‘keep me moving’ - worked fine....

E660853F-AB44-4828-86A6-757E7649D0ED.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

AlfredTheLittle

Good luck, I'll be keeping an interested eye on your updates. I did a measly 3 days last summer and would like to do 7 days but can't at the moment because I'd get moaned at too much 🙂

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Vendetta
21 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Good luck, I'll be keeping an interested eye on your updates. I did a measly 3 days last summer and would like to do 7 days but can't at the moment because I'd get moaned at too much 🙂

Coming up to 48 hours without food. 
I feel pretty shit. Full blown headache and extreme tiredness and feel cold. 

However I know that day 2 to day 4/5 are the worst days as your body acclimatises and goes thorough ‘withdrawal’.....

Starting back at work on Monday - (Day 4) 8am ‘breakfast’ meeting with pastries, bacon sarnies etc..... that’s going to be the tester. Last time on day 3 I could barely drive. If I can get passed this initial withdrawal I’ll make 30 days easy I reckon based on my previous experience. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

AlfredTheLittle

When I did 3 days, days 2 and 3 were the weekend. Good luck at work, I don't think I could do it.

Vendetta

Day 3: 16st 3lbs (-7lbs) all fluid I’d say. Maybe 1lb of glycogen burnt off.

First night of uninterrupted sleep in a long long time. Didn’t need to take a piss in the middle of the night. Sleep through from 11pm-8am.

No headache but feel absolutely exhausted. No energy. Rugby training cancelled thank god. I am not sure I could have made it. 

A day of relaxation and drinking herbal teas. I’ll take my vitamin D, B12, Ca and Mg and just had a Berocca. 

Guts appear to be empty.

Feel pretty positive. 

Work tomorrow at 8am.... will be the tester. 

• Informative 2

Vendetta
Posted (edited)

My electrolytes have just arrived in the post. 60 tablets £20. Yay ! 😁 

In my experience these are essential if you are to (water) fast for a prolonged period of time. 

Without these I have experienced severe cramping in my calves whilst fasting after 10 days. 

The main danger of fasting is ‘refeeding’ and causing a ‘shock’ to your electrolyte balance and biological systems. 

Many concentration camp survivors sadly died a few days after they were rescued by the allies as they hadn’t eaten in 2 months and killed themselves by ‘gorging’ on release. Be careful! 

I actually take these in boiling water - like a cup of tea. Perfect refreshing drink too! Nicer than herbal teas! 

E9F73137-6C3D-4C27-915B-FFE79DBC61C8.jpeg

Edited by Vendetta
  • Informative 1

stop_the_craziness
59 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

My electrolytes have just arrived in the post. 60 tablets £20. Yay ! 😁 

In my experience these are essential if you are to (water) fast for a prolonged period of time. 

Without these I have experienced severe cramping in my calves whilst fasting after 10 days. 

The main danger of fasting is ‘refeeding’ and causing a ‘shock’ to your electrolyte balance and biological systems. 

Many concentration camp survivors sadly died a few days after they were rescued by the allies as they hadn’t eaten in 2 months and killed themselves by ‘gorging’ on release. Be careful! 

I actually take these in boiling water - like a cup of tea. Perfect refreshing drink too! Nicer than herbal teas! 

E9F73137-6C3D-4C27-915B-FFE79DBC61C8.jpeg

Loving the updates, I could never do this, but I'm enjoying it 2nd hand.  And I am finding that a lot of the time I am preferring to replace my milky teas with just plain boiled water rather than herbal teas or green tea.

And funny you should mention putting your tablets in hot water rather than cold as I am planning to try that out today with the calcium and vitamin D tablets that I'm taking.

• Cheers 1

Vendetta
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Loving the updates, I could never do this, but I'm enjoying it 2nd hand.  And I am finding that a lot of the time I am preferring to replace my milky teas with just plain boiled water rather than herbal teas or green tea.

And funny you should mention putting your tablets in hot water rather than cold as I am planning to try that out today with the calcium and vitamin D tablets that I'm taking.

I think the heat might denature / destroy the vitamins - certainly vitamin c and I’m sure vitamin d.

The minerals.......K+ and Ca2+.... Na+ ions etc will all be fine at high temperatures and still be utilised by body in same way. 

Just spent an hour making chocolate brownies from scratch with my 11 year old.....

.....I have absolute no hunger pains.... 

Read up on Grehlin - this is the main hunger inducing hormone. Stops being produced after 4-5 days fasting. I think it’s production is linked to insulin maybe? I’ll need to refresh my research on it.

Edited by Vendetta

stop_the_craziness
49 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

I think the heat might denature / destroy the vitamins - certainly vitamin c and I’m sure vitamin d.

The minerals.......K+ and Ca2+.... Na+ ions etc will all be fine at high temperatures and still be utilised by body in same way. 

Just spent an hour making chocolate brownies from scratch with my 11 year old.....

.....I have absolute no hunger pains.... 

Read up on Grehlin - this is the main hunger inducing hormone. Stops being produced after 4-5 days fasting. I think it’s production is linked to insulin maybe? I’ll need to refresh my research on it.

Ahh, that's a shame as I've already done it and liked it.  I'll have a dig around and see if I should stop.

Grehlin certainly rings a bell but I've been reading so much in the last few weeks it's all started to blend together a little bit.

Vendetta
3 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Ahh, that's a shame as I've already done it and liked it.  I'll have a dig around and see if I should stop.

Grehlin certainly rings a bell but I've been reading so much in the last few weeks it's all started to blend together a little bit.

You’re actually fine for vitamin D 👍.

Vitamin C is destroyed by heat.

213DE401-4059-499A-B410-4D0307B4BB9E.jpeg

• Cheers 1

Vendetta

Day 4: 16st 2lb  (-8lb)

Had a bad nights sleep as started back to work today. Early start - rose at 6am.

Meeting at 8am. Sausage sarnies - I completely resisted. Drank my hot electrolyte drink and felt a bit spaced out. Could have murdered a a couple of sausages in a bun with brown sauce and a cup of tea.

Busy day the rest of the day - but not feeling low energy. Just tired due to lack of sleep.

Chinese buffet for lunch - again avoided that and sat in my office working. Drank an electrolyte tea.

Hot face today. Lots of ketosis going on I imagine. 

Absolutely no hunger. Head feels hot and heavy. Tired but that’s because of lack of sleep last night - probably only had 4 hours max. 

Consumed about 5 ‘hot’ electrolyte drinks today - been pissing all day. 

Reckon I’ll be below 16st in the morning. 😁 

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 3

Vendetta
Posted (edited)

Day 5: 15st 13lbs (-11lbs)

Fitful broken nights sleep last night. 10.30-2.30pm ....then awake until alarm at 7am.

Energy levels fine. No headaches. Felt pretty good at work considering I was very busy.   No hunger at all. 
My brain seems a bit slow. Lack of concentration- but im always like that these days. 

Edited by Vendetta
  • Informative 2

swiss_democracy_for_all
5 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Day 5: 15st 13lbs (-11lbs)

Fitful broken nights sleep last night. 10.30-2.30pm ....then awake until alarm at 7am.

Energy levels fine. No headaches. Felt pretty good at work considering I was very busy.   No hunger at all. 
My brain seems a bit slow. Lack of concentration- but im always like that these days. 

The dozy brain is the main thing that I’m afraid of for trying longer fasts. Working would be a problem if any coding needed doing or any understanding of something I don’t already know off by heart. 

Vendetta
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The dozy brain is the main thing that I’m afraid of for trying longer fasts. Working would be a problem if any coding needed doing or any understanding of something I don’t already know off by heart. 

You’d be amazed how sharp and focussed you become after 5-6 days. All the brain fog goes and you get real clarity. Your eyes glisten and lose any dullness.

I imagine it’s an evolutionary response. If our caveman ancestors went without food for 5-6 days it would make sense. You get heightened energy and awareness and focus to enable you to catch your antelope dinner! Get to day 5...6....7 and you will see.

Edited by Vendetta
  • Informative 3

Forgive my negativity but I've never seen the point in fasting. All it seems to do is make me ratty and irritable and think constantly about food. Am I missing out on some holy grail or something?

(I know how to lose weigh FWIW,, I've lost 2 stone in ~5 months, without any real effort just calorie reduction, this always seems more preferable).

swiss_democracy_for_all
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Forgive my negativity but I've never seen the point in fasting. All it seems to do is make me ratty and irritable and think constantly about food. Am I missing out on some holy grail or something?

(I know how to lose weigh FWIW,, I've lost 2 stone in ~5 months, without any real effort just calorie reduction, this always seems more preferable).

Horses for courses I think. I find it easier to eat nothing than to restrict my meals. (Though I don’t do more than 24h, don’t think I could do this long fast that Vendetta is doing). 

Fasting for weight loss gets harder as the body adapts to avoid the weight loss, so I wouldn’t advise it for those purposes, but it has various other health benefits which are well documented. 

• Agree 2

Vendetta
1 hour ago, spunko said:

Rattiness and irritability is massive for 5 day and then like me today you enter a different world.... 😇

Look up ‘Autophagy’ ..... do some research fascinating stuff.

I am back at work so will write more later @spunko

So much more benefits than just weight loss. I love it. Will talk more later.

Coincidentally I happened upon this video last night when looking for something interesting to watch.  It was on YouTube's 'Learn Something New Today'.

At 2:45 he says 21 days made Mahatma Gandhi the hunger strike champion for going dangerously close to the limit.  Later (7:40) he claims most people die of starvation at 3 weeks and references Gandhi again.

Sounds like he's conflating fasting and starvation, which is obviously not the same as starvation doesn't start as soon as the fast starts.  To be fair I did learn something new - that this guy talks bollocks.

What about effects on the immune system?