DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone else started dry January?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I drank until 4am this morning I guess I've already missed the dry January boat. So I've just opened a fresh bottle of whisky. Cheers...! 🥃   XYY

My last drink was February last year.  As the pubs have been closed and I don't drink at home the opportunity never presented itself.  I have stuck the money I have saved not going out into an ISA.  I

I am giving it a go. Dry cider yesterday. Dry white wine today. Dry martinis tomorrow. Not really looking forward to the dry sherry on Monday.

9 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I never seem to struggle stopping for January each year and giving my kidneys a rest, last year I went on to April.

But thinking of stopping the whole of of 2021 this time, we shall seeO.o

My last drink was February last year.  As the pubs have been closed and I don't drink at home the opportunity never presented itself.  I have stuck the money I have saved not going out into an ISA.  It does feel good not paying the tax on booze and using the money saved to speed up my getting the fuck out of the UK fund.

Edited by montecristo

Went 3 weeks without booze earlier in the year. Things I found:

• Felt happier and less stressed
  • Slept better, especially at weekends without the urgent alarm call to spoil it
  • More money (can easily spend £70 a week just on wine with the missus)
  • Body fat dropped - abs and muscle definition appeared more noticeable
  • More productive at work and at gym

I would have continued past week 3 except I went on a works trip to a (lower) Tier 2 area, and the excitement of being able to get a real pint in a pub was too much to resist.

Definitely doing it again in the New Year

24 minutes ago, montecristo said:

My last drink was February last year.  As the pubs have been closed and I don't drink at home the opportunity never presented itself.  I have stuck the money I have saved not going out into an ISA.  It does feel good not paying the tax on booze and using the money saved to speed up my getting the fuck out of the UK fund.

Stick with it. I don’t drink much in the U.K. due to the rip off prices. Back when in Portugal it’s too cheap not to. For example the cheapest bottle in Lidl is I think £3.29 for 75cl, costs 70p for 1 litre here. Beer 1litre, 80p. Rude not to at those prices. 
Best thing about being sober is waking up fresh every morning. 

Edited by honkydonkey
Just now, honkydonkey said:

Stick with it. I don’t drink much in the U.K. due to the rip off prices. Back when in Portugal it’s too cheap not to. For example the cheapest bottle in Lidl is I think £3.29 for 75cl costs 70p for 1 litre here. Beer 1litre, 80p. Rude not to at those prices. 

No urge to break it until I head away again.  Can't beat a cold beer in the sunshine.

I love not drinking. I like the weight loss, the non-nasty mornings, get more done etc. Have stayed off booze many times in my life, for quite long periods sometimes. I almost got to the 2-year mark once but then got involved with a girl who wasn't what I'd call a drinker but liked frequent red wine.

The problem is (especially living in Lockdownsville) - what do you do instead?  When I had a family with kids, a social interest involving meeting people a lot, and a large house to DIY-maintain then it was not so much of a problem. As a single guy stuck indoors 24x7 it's a different thing.

What I like most about drinking is mainly the psychological freedom line in the sand. Opening a beer or glass of wine definitively marks the end of the working day; my time is now my own to do what I like. Merely closing the lid on the work laptop wouldn't do it for me. Also as @Rowley and @montecristo have pointed out there are circumstances such as a trip to the pub or relaxing in the sunshine where you realistically can't not have a beer. Trouble is that one drink turns into several...

2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I love not drinking. I like the weight loss, the non-nasty mornings, get more done etc. Have stayed off booze many times in my life, for quite long periods sometimes. I almost got to the 2-year mark once but then got involved with a girl who wasn't what I'd call a drinker but liked frequent red wine.

The problem is (especially living in Lockdownsville) - what do you do instead?  When I had a family with kids, a social interest involving meeting people a lot, and a large house to DIY-maintain then it was not so much of a problem. As a single guy stuck indoors 24x7 it's a different thing.

What I like most about drinking is mainly the psychological freedom line in the sand. Opening a beer or glass of wine definitively marks the end of the working day; my time is now my own to do what I like. Merely closing the lid on the work laptop wouldn't do it for me. Also as @Rowley and @montecristo have pointed out there are circumstances such as a trip to the pub or relaxing in the sunshine where you realistically can't not have a beer. Trouble is that one drink turns into several...

Depends on how the individual copes with alcohol.  I no longer drink alcohol when in the UK but when I go on my travels I do like sitting at a beach bar in SE Asia and having a few beers.  However, I know if I get wasted I would die the next day and wouldn't be back to normal for a few days. The thought of another beer would make me sick.

If you are that guy on a stag weekend that is in the hotel bar 1st thing in the morning sinking pints (after a heavy nights drinking), then that imho is warning sign.

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I'm definitely going to do it. But it's not really January yet is it, today's a public holiday. So I'll start tomorrow.

Or maybe the day after :D

I'm going to do it as well....but just opened a bottle of IPA because I want the house empty of alcohol so I don't fail.

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Drinking too much (although not @The XYY Man quantities) for the last 3-4 months so time to see if I can knock it on the head for a bit.

Trying a low carb diet so beer will have to go as a side effect. 

Same here. Going to go back to not drinking Monday to Thursday I think. Will miss my pre-dinner negroni though

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Agree with every word of this @Funn3r. Think I need another hobby

1 hour ago, honkydonkey said:

Stick with it. I don’t drink much in the U.K. due to the rip off prices. Back when in Portugal it’s too cheap not to. For example the cheapest bottle in Lidl is I think £3.29 for 75cl, costs 70p for 1 litre here. Beer 1litre, 80p. Rude not to at those prices. 
Best thing about being sober is waking up fresh every morning. 

I wake up fresh yes but probably because I got so bored I fucked off bed before 2100.I’d rather get fucked up if I’m honest .ps the cost is not much 2.80p for 5% Aldi stuff.I’ve been really well behaved this year 5 yes 5 nights sober since Xmas eve I’m just worried I’m going gay

My booze consumption has at least quadrupled this...  last... year so definitely giving it a go.

In the interests of full exposure I was previously an occasional one drink wonder but still...

My wife who is an almost laughably stereotypical middle aged woman with a daily glass of wine problem has also recognised her own consumption has rocketed too so this is part of a mutual support exercise. But with 60% of my motivation being getting her to dry out and lose some weight.

Edited by Melchett