DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobthebuilder

• The XYY Man

• lid

• Frank Hovis

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doesn't look like there's a Beatles thread so enjoy

Tomorrow Never Knows was bizarrely,  ludicrously ahead of it's time, nothing like it was heard for another quarter of a century until the advent of drum n bass and dance/techno music. Even the Be

Lemmy from Motorhead called them the greatest band ever and noted that when he was a kid there was no rock and roll; I think he said it was all Dorothy Squires records.  Whilst I accept that on a

Sugarlips

The end is sometimes a good place to start for the uninitiated 

The Peter Jackson footage does look good.

Edited by Sugarlips
  • Agree 3
Agent ZigZag

A tight, and very good, rock and roll band, that made it very very big.

My favourite band

MrPin

They did some good songs, but I have heard them so many times, I get fed up with them.

• Agree 1
The XYY Man
3 hours ago, MrPin said:

They did some good songs, but I have heard them so many times, I get fed up with them.

Play them backwards...

XYY

• Lol 2
Bobthebuilder

I have some old Beatles records on vinyl, rubber soul and revolver sound outstanding in mono.

The XYY Man
26 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have some old Beatles records on vinyl, rubber soul and revolver sound outstanding in mono.

Play them backwards...

XYY

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Play them backwards...

XYY

"Paul is dead", apparently.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Lol 1
The XYY Man
1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

"Paul is dead", apparently.

Yep, you got the reference spot-on Robert...!

:)

XYY

• Cheers 1
Option5
10 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Play them backwards...

XYY

Does "Get back" become "Come here"?

• Lol 1
The XYY Man
7 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Fuck off...

XYY

Option5
2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Fuck off...

XYY

Sweet talking me won't get you anywhere.

Cunt:Old:

• Lol 1
Bobthebuilder
33 minutes ago, Option5 said:

"He's coming home" ?

Sorry that's shit it should be "He's coming back to a shit hole rented  off some scumbag".

Edited by Bobthebuilder
dgul
10 hours ago, MrPin said:

That is the problem with The Beatles.

I have tried to explain to my son that the thing about them was that they sort-of invented that-sort-of sound (not quite, but they were very influential), and they sort-of invented the concept of the super-group (ditto).

And that-sort-of-sound extends to quite a wide range, from start to finish.

This then makes them sound somewhat generic.  This clearly isn't fair when that sort of 'generic' didn't exist before.

• Agree 2
Sugarlips

David Hepworth the music journalist recently titled his book ‘The Beatles Were Underrated’ which I thought was a clever bit of marketing.

Bus Stop Boxer
4 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I've got the stereo vinyl version. Only Beatles album i own.

Put on "What Goes On" on, and pan it hard left.

A bit of an eyeopener on Georges guitar chops.

Its astonishingly bad.

Plink quack honk.

George Martin buffed that track up extremely well. Their harmony vox covered up a great many sins.

• Informative 1
Bobthebuilder
11 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

I've got the stereo vinyl version. Only Beatles album i own.

Put on "What Goes On" on, and pan it hard left.

A bit of an eyeopener on Georges guitar chops.

Its astonishingly bad.

Plink quack honk.

George Martin buffed that track up extremely well. Their harmony vox covered up a great many sins.

What I love about the stereo versions is that you can pan hard left or right on the speakers and hear the Beatles as a full band on both sides. 2 bands on 2 track as it were.

• Agree 1
Roger_Mellie
On 02/01/2021 at 22:10, dgul said:

I have tried to explain to my son that the thing about them was that they sort-of invented that-sort-of sound (not quite, but they were very influential), and they sort-of invented the concept of the super-group (ditto).

This then makes them sound somewhat generic.  This clearly isn't fair when that sort of 'generic' didn't exist before.

There's something else about the beatles that has never been rivalled, by any other band ever: They were insanely prolific. Lennon and MCartney must have almost literally shat pop songs. 

According to Wikipedia the 'core catalogue' of the Beatles comprises 213 songs in 8 years. 

Magic, the world's greatest Tearoom OrchestraxD

• Cheers 1
Frank Hovis
On 02/01/2021 at 22:10, dgul said:

Lemmy from Motorhead called them the greatest band ever and noted that when he was a kid there was no rock and roll; I think he said it was all Dorothy Squires records. 

Whilst I accept that on an intellectual level my 1970s childhood contained such an overkill of Beatles music - including a TV cartoon series - that The Beatles were the cultural equivalent of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book in China.

It was everywhere, it had always been everywhere, and you had heard every track multiple times from a very young age.

Consequently I have never bought a Beatles record or chosen to listen to a Beatles track on YouTube.

Their song writing and playing was so good that they effectively invented pop and rock and ruled those worlds.  It must have been amazing to be hearing this stuff for the first time, and before the many imitators incorporated their sounds, but for me I am as likely to read a Famous Five book as play a Beatles LP. 

I met someone from that generation - twenty years older than me, family friend - in the US and he was so excited to be actually meeting people from "the land of the Beatles" that I had to fake a keen interest so as not to disappoint him. 

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1
JoeDavola
On 02/01/2021 at 18:55, The XYY Man said:

Play them backwards...

XYY

!sfoop rof si sdrawkcab sgnos seltaeB gniyalP

;)

• Lol 2
desertorchid

For what its worth properly authenticated Beatles memorabilia/ unique records is the best long term investment  you can get. You will never see a pop band like it again, just as we wont ever see another Beethoven or Chopin. Music industry has changed and changed for good.

• Agree 2
Frank Hovis
32 minutes ago, desertorchid said:

For what its worth properly authenticated Beatles memorabilia/ unique records is the best long term investment  you can get. You will never see a pop band like it again, just as we wont ever see another Beethoven or Chopin. Music industry has changed and changed for good.

It must be so weird to be Paul or Ringo and be alive to see this happen to things you wrote when younger: letters, autographs, clothing, musical instruments all treated as items of extremely valuable heritage.

This was a good insight into what it means to be them:

Paul McCartney has said in interviews that his grandkids beat him all the time at Rock Band, and that he responds by telling them he wrote the original records. That’s the image we’d like to leave you with—Paul freaking McCartney holding a tiny plastic guitar controller and yelling at his grandkids that he’s still the boss because he wrote the songs they’re playing. 

• Cheers 1
SpectrumFX

I think the Beatles are great

I think painstakingly copying the guitars they ruined, and then selling those copies for huge amounts of money is mental.

Who's buying this shit?