• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Thomas Cook resumes Tunisia holidays after beach attack

Travel company Thomas Cook has resumed selling holidays in Tunisia to Britons for the first time since the attack at a resort in Sousse in 2015.

Trips will resume in February 2018, after the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) eased its travel advice .

The FCO previously advised avoiding all but essential visits following the June 2015 beach attack, which killed 38 people, including 30 British tourists.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41017664

Well, they were desperate to get the Holidaymakers going back there, i wonder how many takers there will be given that the high court battle for compensation was lost for the families of the dead and the wounded victims.

99% of travel insurance polices do not cover "acts of terrorism" 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Just now, WorkingPoor said:

Well, they were desperate to get the Holidaymakers going back there, i wonder how many takers there will be given that the high court battle for compensation was lost for the families of the dead and the wounded victims.

99% of travel insurance polices do not cover "acts of terrorism" 

You would need your head felt for even considering it 

It's desperation.

The Airlines and travel companies were in dire straits, Monarch was being crucified over the loss of its major routes to Sharm / Tunis & drop of in custom for Turkey (following multiple attacks and the attempted Coup last year) 

The Barcelona incident was only going to add to their woes. 

Restrictions on Sharm El Sheik will likely be lifted next.

The question is: Who will take a family holiday in these destinations? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Will travel insurance cover you in a terror attack?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-29/will-your-travel-insurance-cover-you-in-a-terror-attack/8567866

When you fork out hundreds of dollars for travel insurance, you probably expect it will cover any kind of emergency.

But, unbeknownst to many travellers, most insurers won't offer coverage if you're caught up in a terror attack.

Key points: 

• Many travel insurance policies don't cover acts of terror
  • Check all of your policy documents to see what is and isn't covered
  • Be aware of the current travel warnings for your destination
  • Register your details with smartraveller.gov.au

So, what's the deal?

It seems to be common knowledge for people in the travel insurance sector, but less known to actual travellers.

A quick scan of several travel insurance websites showed that most policies excluded terrorism or acts of war.

There were some companies that offered cover but with certain restrictions on cancellations and travel delays.

For example, one company offered to cover medical evacuation, but nothing else.

All of the policies appeared to state that claims would be denied if they were terror-related and happened in countries with a higher-threat rating.

*the key point is that no matter what people try, no policy will cover financial loss due to terrorism, so being unable to work with life changing injuries will leave you destitute.

Edited by WorkingPoor

I remember about 5 years ago chatting online to a Tunisian girl that was studying English so she could work in the tourist industry. I think of her when I see threads like this.

I still wouldn't go to Tunisia though.

I've only been to Tunisia once....absolute shit hole. Worst holiday of my life. We were constantly badgered for money every fucking minute of every fucking hour every fucking day.

Cant see how you could relax enough in order to do what most people on these type of holidays do, snooze on the beach or at the pool or get comfortably numb with alcohol. You would need your guard up and wits about you at all times, probably need a holiday at the end of it.

Just now, Wahoo said:

I've only been to Tunisia once....absolute shit hole. Worst holiday of my life. We were constantly badgered for money every fucking minute of every fucking hour every fucking day.

Not unusual for many countries in the area.

With the public watching north africans and others regularly terrorising people on the streets all over europe why do they even assume there would be a resurgence in interest in actually visiting these countries? The damage done is not just direct terrorist threat within those countries and lack of insurance cover.

8 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Reminds me of Egypt, you are meant to dig deep for every inconsequential interaction with the locals there. One chap at the Pyramids, who was not there in any official capacity, had a whistle and was corralling tourists using his whistle and arm movements towards his relatives souvenir stall. 

I went to see the pyramids many years ago. There's nothing less than 3000 years old worth seeing in Egypt, it's just beggars and dysentery and oppressive heat. As a result of that I have zero desire to visit North Africa, and honestly can't see why a significant number of other people would irrespective of terrorism concerns. Now that safety concerns are significantly ramped up, why would you?

The street traders hassling for money is enough to stop me going somewhere in itself; had it in mild form in a reasonably posh Turkey and that was enough for me.

I know people who aren't paid much and want a warm beach holiday with ideally an all-inclusive hotel and would probably go to Somalia if it was cheap and available through high street outlets.

And to be fair even in the places where there has been terrorism the chances of it happening to you are still very small; if still too high for most people.

Problem when it comes to hassle is there are various levels and types. For example been to Sri Lanka reasonable recently, anywhere you go there will be people trying to sell you tat or get in to a Tuktuk, but just a simple no thanks and they instantly leave you alone. North Africa it's constant and they won't take no for an answer, it's literally menacing. 

Been to Egypt twice, once to Ciro and once a Sharm El Sheikh, taking the later for example, off the plane and as usual a quick trip to the toilet, two lads demanding payment for passing you a hand towel, blocked exit until you had slipped them a quid. Meet holiday rep and small man comes running to load your bags on to a trolley, despite not needing it, he literally plays a game of tug of war to force them from you. He then proceeds to push to the bus where he unloads on to the floor, hand out wanting his tip (keep in mind this was possibly 100 yards at a push). Next chap turns up, he's the bus loader (not dirver) he then wants his cut for moving the bags from the floor in to the bus, and so on and so on and so on. 

The fact you have to put up with that crap constantly and then have a chance of getting shot while round the pool enjoying a beer.... no ta. 

30 minutes ago, gilf said:

Problem when it comes to hassle is there are various levels and types. For example been to Sri Lanka reasonable recently, anywhere you go there will be people trying to sell you tat or get in to a Tuktuk, but just a simple no thanks and they instantly leave you alone. North Africa it's constant and they won't take no for an answer, it's literally menacing. 

Been to Egypt twice, once to Ciro and once a Sharm El Sheikh, taking the later for example, off the plane and as usual a quick trip to the toilet, two lads demanding payment for passing you a hand towel, blocked exit until you had slipped them a quid. Meet holiday rep and small man comes running to load your bags on to a trolley, despite not needing it, he literally plays a game of tug of war to force them from you. He then proceeds to push to the bus where he unloads on to the floor, hand out wanting his tip (keep in mind this was possibly 100 yards at a push). Next chap turns up, he's the bus loader (not dirver) he then wants his cut for moving the bags from the floor in to the bus, and so on and so on and so on. 

The fact you have to put up with that crap constantly and then have a chance of getting shot while round the pool enjoying a beer.... no ta. 

Begging with menaces. I won't go anywhere where these is even the slightest chance of any of that.  

Went to los christianos in Tenerife a few years back and that was bad enough for me. Africans along the front touting tat. Bothering you when eating a meal or having a drink.  We started staying away from the main tourist drag and found that the tat sellers didn't venture inland so were left alone. 

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Begging with menaces. I won't go anywhere where these is even the slightest chance of any of that.  

Went to los christianos in Tenerife a few years back and that was bad enough for me. Africans along the front touting tat. Bothering you when eating a meal or having a drink.  We started staying away from the main tourist drag and found that the tat sellers didn't venture inland so were left alone. 

You think the authorities would crack down hard on this; I only have to read a mention of "street sellers" and I'm not going there.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You think the authorities would crack down hard on this; I only have to read a mention of "street sellers" and I'm not going there.

Yep, I don't understand it, it put us off and would never venture there again.  It gives a place a grubby, nasty feel.  

Mind, even in Whitby, there are the dodgy EE sand sculptures, tat sellers and the statue things. Oh, and a big issue seller. They seem to be able to ply their trade with impunity. 

11 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

The question is: Who will take a family holiday in these destinations? 

Not me ever since the Luxor Massacre of 1997, which left 62 dead and most horribly mutilated, I've had no desire to visit any majority muslim country. Now I have kids there's no fucking chance.

A reminder of the carnage of Luxor...

11 hours ago, whitevanman said:

It's probably no worse than going to any major European city tbh. 

In Europe you are not surrounded by an indifferent population with emergency services who would at least be trying to come to your aid. Weren't lots of the Tunisian Police criticised for holding back?

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

In Europe you are not surrounded by an indifferent population with emergency services who would at least be trying to come to your aid. Weren't lots of the Tunisian Police criticised for holding back?

Scared rather than sympathetic to the terrorists was the general view at the time. The outcome is the same whatever - the police turn up late.