DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

New demands for reparations

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the windrush generation came to britain in the 50's and 60's they stayed in houses built by white people. They studied in schools built and funded by white people. They were treated in hospitals

Well I'm British so I want reparations from my land being stolen and my ancestors enslaved by: Italy (Romans) Germans, Dutch, Danes (Saxons etc.) Norway, Sweden, Denmark (Vikings and Da

This story has really warmed my heart as it proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that the UK is the least "racist" country on the planet. There is none, so now they have to go looking for some. Th

1 minute ago, Bkkandrew said:

Abbot has made a fortune through her skin colour and her gender, when one compares her intelligence and position on society to contemporaries.

When she makes reparations on that, I agree others should follow suit.

Black privilege.

Diane Jordan, yes that one, has a senior role at the BBC.

Career civil servant is made Chair of John Lewis because she is black.

Lammy and Abbott 

I'd actually like to see some data on 'year of immigration of family into the UK' vs 'child success in life'.

I'd suggest that there's likely to be a correlation -- ie, BAME poverty is a function of how many years there's been for the migrant family to get over initial poverty.  I don't know if this is true, but often 'problems' take decades/generations to resolve, and it isn't easy to resolve all problems simply by injecting cash (eg, assumption of large family, cultural norms, etc) -- indeed, it has been suggested that 'simple' (money) remedies for problems often don't resolve the problem (eg, increases in welfare make it easier to assume a life on welfare, and doesn't necessarily result in the benefit being translated into encouraging individuals to take advantage of opportunities).

[I'm sure I'm very biased, because all the BAME people I know are the sorts to have done 'well in life', and are generally 'multiple generation UK'.  They're also very 'British' and don't hanker after a culture that's foreign to their immediate history*]

[* My historical family were Flemish and came over on the orders of Henry I/II.  Nevertheless, I don't wear clogs, grow tulips or engineer massive land reclamation schemes.  That said, I grew up in a Welsh household and thus sing in the bath and can judge the health of a sheep at a single glance -- you can take the boy out of Wales...]

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'd actually like to see some data on 'year of immigration of family into the UK' vs 'child success in life'.

I'd suggest that there's likely to be a correlation -- ie, BAME poverty is a function of how many years there's been for the migrant family to get over initial poverty.  I don't know if this is true, but often 'problems' take decades/generations to resolve, and it isn't easy to resolve all problems simply by injecting cash (eg, assumption of large family, cultural norms, etc) -- indeed, it has been suggested that 'simple' (money) remedies for problems often don't resolve the problem (eg, increases in welfare make it easier to assume a life on welfare, and doesn't necessarily result in the benefit being translated into encouraging individuals to take advantage of opportunities).

[I'm sure I'm very biased, because all the BAME people I know are the sorts to have done 'well in life', and are generally 'multiple generation UK'.  They're also very 'British' and don't hanker after a culture that's foreign to their immediate history*]

[* My historical family were Flemish and came over on the orders of Henry I/II.  Nevertheless, I don't wear clogs, grow tulips or engineer massive land reclamation schemes.  That said, I grew up in a Welsh household and thus sing in the bath and can judge the health of a sheep at a single glance -- you can take the boy out of Wales...]

... but you can't take his cock out of the sheep?

The Mongol invasion of Eastern Europe reduced the population of those countries by over 50% in many cases and exposed them to Ottoman invasion in the aftermath. It would take them over a century to recover and handed Western Europe an unassailable lead that would never be let go. 

Hungary and Poland need to pop over there with hands outstretched.

It's really kicking off in black America now with a new movement called American Descendants of Slavery (ADOS)

A split is emerging between American black people and "real" American black people. Guess what, only the real ones should get trillions of dollars in reparations.  My personal guess as well is the unspoken assumption that most of the money should go to ADOS "leaders" and "activists" rather than some poor bastard on welfare in Detroit.

As with "feminists v. TERF feminists", this is all very likely to increase popcorn sales amongst uninvolved bystanders.

From rt.com 

‘Judas and the Black Messiah’, the biopic of assassinated Black Panther chairman Fred Hampton, is the type of movie you’d expect to spark controversy. 

But most wouldn’t expect it to be in the form of criticism that a black man was cast in the lead role.

The issue for some is that he’s the ‘wrong type’ of black, as Daniel Kaluuya is a Londoner with Ugandan parents.  

They instead wanted the role to go to a not-very-well-known subset of the black diaspora, an American Descendant of Slavery (ADOS). 

To some extent i agree with her. Just like the British people should be given back all the land that Lizzy and the Duke of Westminster stole from our ancestors.

Private companies/individuals i couldnt care less about. Get em chased.

At no point however, should the taxpayer foot the bill for any reperations.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well I'm British so I want reparations from my land being stolen and my ancestors enslaved by:

Italy (Romans)

Germans, Dutch, Danes (Saxons etc.)

Norway, Sweden, Denmark (Vikings and Danish conquest)

France (1066 and all that)

Come on, pay up you lot.

Don't forget the Irish - they went 'Viking' long before the Scandinavians

Also North Africans - notably the Barbary Pirates. 

16 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

It's really kicking off in black America now with a new movement called American Descendants of Slavery (ADOS)

A split is emerging between American black people and "real" American black people. Guess what, only the real ones should get trillions of dollars in reparations.  My personal guess as well is the unspoken assumption that most of the money should go to ADOS "leaders" and "activists" rather than some poor bastard on welfare in Detroit.

As with "feminists v. TERF feminists", this is all very likely to increase popcorn sales amongst uninvolved bystanders.

From rt.com 

‘Judas and the Black Messiah’, the biopic of assassinated Black Panther chairman Fred Hampton, is the type of movie you’d expect to spark controversy. 

But most wouldn’t expect it to be in the form of criticism that a black man was cast in the lead role.

The issue for some is that he’s the ‘wrong type’ of black, as Daniel Kaluuya is a Londoner with Ugandan parents.  

They instead wanted the role to go to a not-very-well-known subset of the black diaspora, an American Descendant of Slavery (ADOS). 

Are the real ones the ones that voted for Joe and the fake ones voted Trump?

20 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

From rt.com 

They're fighting the wrong battle.

2 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Are the real ones the ones that voted for Joe and the fake ones voted Trump?

Surely the real Americans are those that chose to go for a better life and chose to contribute to the American ideal. Not sure someone dragged there in chains is a 'real' American above someone who passes the *immigration requirements.

*I realise these are at an all time low and in many cases are about how brass-necked you are, rather than 'qualified' - a bit like our dinghy-hopping class.

3 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

the *immigration requirements.

*I realise these are at an all time low and in many cases are about how brass-necked you are

Got a family member living in America and I can assure you their immigration rules are rigidly hardcore. Coming from UK at least.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Always good to start the New Year with this sort of stuff 

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1345716578462085121?s=20

He should convert to Islam

It states in the Quran you can't hold a son responsible for the sins of the Father. Therefore any criticism of him on the basis of ancestors wrongs is Islamophobic! 

This story has really warmed my heart as it proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that the UK is the least "racist" country on the planet. There is none, so now they have to go looking for some.

That the cunts have to go back in time to find any "racism" is all you need to know. 

They are taking the piss, and should be told in simple and clear language to stop talking shite and fuck right off, because you flim-flam artists are getting nowt...

XYY

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

From rt.com 

I suppose there is some twisted logic in the distinction if you follow the reasons for “reserving” roles for certain groups of actors. It would be a bit like a Bulgarian being chosen to play Michael Collins in a film about the Irish War of Independence. In addition African Americans are very much like White Americans in their desire for cultural authenticity so being carted off to slavery in the mid 17th century would be their Mayflower equivalent. Having read a bit about the Atlantic Slave trade to America I noticed that Black Yanks like to highlight the fact they have a long ancestry in the USA running back before independence and that they are descended from quite a small subset of African slaves. In that respect it is just another example of American particularism which they don’t want outsiders hijacking. Modern Africans are people whose ancestors might have been as likely to have benefited materially from the African  slave trade as to have suffered from it. 

With regard to Uganda due to its geographical location it is unlikely to have been involved at all. Indeed its history as part of the British Empire barely lasted 75 years from the late 19th century to the 1960s so it did not really become part of the English scope of cultural dominance until the 20th century. Even then it was not even a formal colony but a protectorate with few white colonists and where the pre-existing forms of tribal administration were largely untouched. Ugandan actors would not have much in common with the experience of long established Black Americans whose older relatives will have experienced life under segregation.

I suppose it depends how far you want to take this kind of nonsense in the world drama which after all is essentially an exercise in make believe. Personally think an all Asian version of Pride and Prejudice would work very well because Asian culture reflects a lot of the concerns of the original about marriage, inheritance, relatives etc. By contrast an all Black cast would probably not suit the drama as well. 

Edited by Virgil Caine
7 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

I suppose there is some twisted logic in the distinction if you follow the reasons for “reserving” roles for certain groups of actors. It would be a bit like a Bulgarian being chosen to play Michael Collins in a film about the Irish War of Independence. In addition African Americans are very much like White Americans in their desire for cultural authenticity so being carted off too slavery in the mid 17th century would be their Mayflower equivalent. Having read a bit about the Atlantic Slave trade to America I noticed that Black Yanks like to highlight the fact they have a long ancestry in the USA running back before independence and that they are descended from quite a small subset of African slaves. In that respect it is just another example of American particularism which they don’t want outsiders hijacking. In that respect modern Africans are people whose ancestors might have been as likely to have benefited materially from the African  slave trade as to have suffered from it. 

With regard to Uganda due to its geographical location it is unlikely to have been involved at all. Indeed its history as part of the British Empire barely lasted 75 years from the late 19th century to the 1960s so it did not really become part of the English scope of cultural dominance until the 20th century. Even then it was not even a formal colony but a protectorate with few white colonists and where the pre-existing forms of tribal administration were largely untouched. In that respect Ugandan actors would not have much in common with the experience of long established Black Americans whose older relatives will have experienced life under segregation.

I suppose it depends how far you want to take this kind of nonsense in the world drama which after all is essentially an exercise in make believe. Personally think an all Asian version of Pride and Prejudice would work very well because Asian culture reflects a lot of the concerns of the original about marriage, inheritance, relatives etc. By contrast an all Black cast would probably not suit the drama as well. 

I don't understand the fairly recent drive for requiring actors to have a real-world history or relationship with the character they are cast to play. There obviously has to be some sort or credible similarity if the character is already well-known; you couldn't have a black woman with one leg playing Hitler for example, but surely that's about it?

I am sure nobody ever said "You can't be cast as Darth Vader, you're not really a galactic emperor you're just a bloke from Slough."

Agree about Pride and Prejudice though it would work even better than the boring original.

Edited by Funn3r
P & P