DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SAD (seasonally adjusted disorder)

Anyone else suffering this?

I usually get a bit sluggish in December and January but the last few months have been horrendous. Main issues getting up, motivation to do anything, brain fog. Mrs the same which is even more unusual. 

I have 3 full spectrum bulbs which I fitted yesterday and hope may start to help. 

Not helped by all the COVID BS and social isolation. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone else suffering this? I usually get a bit sluggish in December and January but the last few months have been horrendous. Main issues getting up, motivation to do anything, brain fog. Mrs th

For me it's more about being in touch with  nature. If you are out and about every day, even in the depths of winter, you see a lot of beauty and life. It's not the same as a warm summer's day, it's j

I had a light box which was supposed to improve the SAD. I smashed it up when depressed.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Anyone else suffering this?

I usually get a bit sluggish in December and January but the last few months have been horrendous. Main issues getting up, motivation to do anything, brain fog. Mrs the same which is even more unusual. 

I have 3 full spectrum bulbs which I fitted yesterday and hope may start to help. 

Not helped by all the COVID BS and social isolation. 

Long time SAD sufferer here - I had it before I knew it existed.

Good move with the daylight bulbs.  Here's a useful tip - Don't wait until it's dark before switching them on - put them on as soon as the light starts to fade.

I use them in all rooms in the house.  They definitely help me.  I've been fine this winter (so far) and now the days are getting longer again I'm hoping I won't come down with it at all this winter.

Edited by Lipid
Typo.
1 minute ago, Lipid said:

Long time SAD sufferer here - I had it before I knew it existed.

Good move with the daylight bulbs.  Here's a useful tip - Don't wait until it's dark before switchig them on - put them on as soon as the light starts to fade.

I use them in all rooms in the house.  They definitely help me.  I've been fine this winter (so far) and now the days are getting longer again I'm hoping I won't come down with it at all this winter.

I switch them on in the daytime and off early evening as my sleep pattern is already disrupted. 

Getting outside and full winter sun when it's out is meant to help.

[light levels outside appear 'somewhat brighter' than inside, but that's because our eyes have a logarithmic response to 'brightness' and it's actually orders of magnitudes brighter outside.  The 'SAD sensors' (apparently) have a more linear response and thus respond to the brighter outdoors (or perhaps there's a threshold that's never reached with indoor lighting, dunno).]

I used to get it until I started taking multivitamins and Vitamin D3 in particular - since then (4-5 years) I've barely had it. I used to get it in November and December, they were the worst. To be honest I never understood why everyone hates January, aside from paying tax at the end of it, I don't really mind it, it's a new start/new year and spring is only a short while away. I usually feel quite productive and content in January - and Christmas is still 11 months away! :D

Edited by spunko
39 minutes ago, dgul said:

Getting outside and full winter sun when it's out is meant to help.

[light levels outside appear 'somewhat brighter' than inside, but that's because our eyes have a logarithmic response to 'brightness' and it's actually orders of magnitudes brighter outside.  The 'SAD sensors' (apparently) have a more linear response and thus respond to the brighter outdoors (or perhaps there's a threshold that's never reached with indoor lighting, dunno).]

I take Jnr out every day between 11 and 1pm but unless its sunny its a dull as dishwater. Also for some fresh air but an hour 2 is not enough. 

3 hours ago, Rowley said:

Since taking extra vitamin D this year, haven’t had the usual winter slump. May still come, but normally I’m proper down by now

Clinical trials have been done regarding SAD and Vit D deficiency and didn't find a link between the two. 

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Clinical trials have been done regarding SAD and Vit D deficiency and didn't find a link between the two. 

What strength vit D, out of interest?

Got to be careful with clinical trials of vits: a cynical mind might come to the conclusion that they knowingly use clinically ineffective doses (e.g. RDI) because they would much rather make the point that a flashy new drug is required for these poor suffering patients... :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, LC1 said:

What strength vit D, out of interest?

Got to be careful with clinical trials of vits: a cynical mind might come to the conclusion that they knowingly use clinically ineffective doses (e.g. RDI) because they would much rather make the point that a flashy new drug is required for these poor suffering patients... :ph34r:

I don't know. However the main treatment for SAD is light therapy which is cheap and not under patent. 

5 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I don't know. However the main treatment for SAD is light therapy which is cheap and not under patent. 

I know nothing about this area, but clinical trials cost a lot of money. A trial of a dirt cheap treatment compared with a free treatment makes me suspect that some pharma company somewhere has something in their pipeline. But maybe I'm too jaded :)

5 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

The "happiest" Jan/Feb I ever had was having Christmas and New Year in Dahab for 16 nights diving.

I think breaking it up for a few weeks in the middle works really well (expensive at that time of year though).

I've done same for the last 6 or 7 years. 

Makes a huge difference. 

This year no such luck. The covid shite makes it infinitely worse too. 

41 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I know nothing about this area, but clinical trials cost a lot of money. A trial of a dirt cheap treatment compared with a free treatment makes me suspect that some pharma company somewhere has something in their pipeline. But maybe I'm too jaded :)

The cost of running a clinical trial depends a lot on what you are testing and how. If you're a big pharma that has invented a new molecule that has never been in a human before then you have to develop a manufacturing process, do non-human safety studies, get approval from regulators, maybe develop new clinical tests to see if it's working etc and of course that all costs tens to hundreds of millions of dollars. But if you're a clinician and you just want to see if an existing pennies a pill drug (e.g. VitD) can help your patients according to some standard clinical test that you run routinely anyway then it doesn't need to cost very much at all, mostly just a bit of staff time to design the trial and collect and write up the data.