DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Aeromodelling

Popuplights

Popuplights

The whole covid shit has been making me very angry and tense. It's affecting my sleep. So I went into the loft and pulled down an unmade balsa kit of a P-40. It's by Guillows, a famous American model company. 

I have nearly finished the wing, and I am finding it extremely therapeutic. 

The modern way is to use thin superglue to stick it together. Toolstation obliged with a 20g pot for £1.20 or so.

This is what it looks like so far. 

Screenshot_20210103-200931.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 7

Bobthebuilder

I use that glue on the model railway, nice and cheap.

I f##kin love balsa wood planes, looking forward to this one.

Didn't they used to use a chemical called dope to stick the paper lining on?

Edit, P40 is an awesome prop plane.

Edited by Bobthebuilder

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Popuplights said:

Yes, dope to shrink on the tissue covering. 

I love any prop warbird!

I remember my dad taking months to build a glider from a kit in the 1970s, balsa with doped tissue to cover fuselage and wings, it was painted red and one summer day was hoisted aloft and flew magnificently.

Then on its third or fourth trip it caught a thermal and disappeared forever.

He never built another.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
42 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I remember my dad taking months to build a glider from a kit in the 1970s, balsa with doped tissue to cover fuselage and wings, it was painted red and one summer day was hoisted aloft and flew magnificently.

He never built another.

My dad built one with / for me in about 1975, doped tissue on a balsa wood fuselage. Cessna's type with overhead wing, with a wind up plastic band motor. When finished the maiden flight was from our front garden straight into a lamp post, the thing broke in two. I never saw a model aeroplane again, not long after he bought me a train set.

• Lol 2

11 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

He never built another.

That is the advantage with modern polystyrene foam, none of the fun building - it is all setting up the control surfaces, control wires and electronics, but much easier on the pocket and you can have more fun flying then rather that trying never to crash them.

The amazing thing is these models are not too dissimilar to the construction in the wooden planes and gliders from the past. If you can build one of these models successfully you could probably have a very good stab at building a working life sized plane if a kit was available.  

• Cheers 1

Popuplights

There is a really good YouTube channel called Flite test. They use foam board to create cheap and easy to fly models which are quick to build. They have an online shop where tlyou can guy kits, or just download the plans and cut it out yourself. All stuck together with a hot glue gun. 

I love a balsa model, but the emotional distress of a big crack-up on the maiden flight is a lot to bear😄 just look at the stories above.

Here is a chuck glider I made in about 2 hours from a flitetest plan. Total cost, one sheet of foam board, and a squirt of paint.

Screenshot_20210106-123126.jpg

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, gilf said:

Posh bastards, all we had when I was a kid were these.

91Nb7pDvVYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Used to love those. Think I had the Japanese one col 1 row 2,and US navy one? col2 row 3.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Used to love those. Think I had the Japanese one col 1 row 2,and US navy one? col2 row 3.

I never used to see the full range, some reason it used to almost always be the Japanese ones. Maybe was just late to the party and the German and British ones had sold out because people wanted to play war.

On that, mental to think that as a 47 old, when I was a kid we were as close to WW2 as we are now to the Falklands. It really was very recent in relative terms.

• Agree 3

Popuplights

Making progress on the fuselage now. I am starting to watch YouTube videos about how to cover it with tissue

Screenshot_20210111-154424.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

MrLibertyRedux
1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

Making progress on the fuselage now. I am starting to watch YouTube videos about how to cover it with tissue

Screenshot_20210111-154424.jpg

:Beer:

Brilliant. I may find myself ordering something similar. I haven't done any balsa modelling since I was about 14/15, I do remember being able to immerse myself for hours.

Might be just the trick to see out the rest of the winter. Ordinarily wouldn't have the time but have stacks at the moment.

• Agree 1

Popuplights
48 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

:Beer:

Brilliant. I may find myself ordering something similar. I haven't done any balsa modelling since I was about 14/15, I do remember being able to immerse myself for hours.

Might be just the trick to see out the rest of the winter. Ordinarily wouldn't have the time but have stacks at the moment.

Exactly. The new kits are laser cut, so really nice to build. Use super glue. I'm having immense fun. It's a distraction from all the shit going on. 

• Agree 1

MrLibertyRedux
3 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Exactly. The new kits are laser cut, so really nice to build. Use super glue. I'm having immense fun. It's a distraction from all the shit going on. 

It never ends.

https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/balsa-shortage.html

As many of you may be aware, there is a worldwide shortage of balsa wood at the moment.

• Informative 1

Rare Bear
On 04/01/2021 at 09:38, onlyme said:

That is the advantage with modern polystyrene foam, none of the fun building - it is all setting up the control surfaces, control wires and electronics, but much easier on the pocket and you can have more fun flying then rather that trying never to crash them.

The amazing thing is these models are not too dissimilar to the construction in the wooden planes and gliders from the past. If you can build one of these models successfully you could probably have a very good stab at building a working life sized plane if a kit was available.  

Falco wing. 160bhp, 2 seats. The only trouble is that they take thousands of hours to build.

16103904257941380685337189097540.jpg

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

Rare Bear
8 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Falco wing. 160bhp, 2 seats. The only trouble is that they take thousands of hours to build.

16103904257941380685337189097540.jpg

That aircraft was designed as a production airplane by Stelio Frat, the guy who designed the SF260.

The design was then sold as plans and or a kit by American guy from the mid 80s onwards. To the best of my knowledge he's stopped now but I think that plans may still be available. As I say, a suburb aircraft but lots if time to build.

• Agree 1

MrLibertyRedux
On 16/01/2021 at 12:19, Popuplights said:

Making progress this week. Going to start covering with tissue soon! 

Screenshot_20210116-121532.jpg

Looking really good. I'm almost decided on a Guillows Spitfire.

Not sure whether to start off with the small one or go for the same scale as yours.

Popuplights
33 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Looking really good. I'm almost decided on a Guillows Spitfire.

Not sure whether to start off with the small one or go for the same scale as yours.

Go for the bigger one, it's still not massive, but has some presence, and I don't suppose it's any harder to build!

Kit 403 it is then.

Edited by Popuplights
Details
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I've built multiples of each of the keil Kraft ww2 planes in my youth, plus loads of veron free flight gliders etc before getting properly into RC in my late teens and 20s. I did build a guillows P38 (my favourite plane) but tbh thought it wasn't a great design as the wings warped badly when covered - iirc it was a bit weird as it had only one spar or something.

I completely lost interest in it all when the market just became endless brightly coloured boxes of almost ready to fly stuff from the Far East. I remember knowing it was over for me when I had trouble at the sandown model expo even finding any covering film for sale. 

Edited by Boglet
  • Informative 1

On 25/02/2021 at 09:53, Boglet said:

I completely lost interest in it all when the market just became endless brightly coloured boxes of almost ready to fly stuff from the Far East...

Used to know a lad who bought such near-ready-to-fly planes, he prefered to fly them rather than build them. You can see why they appeal to some folk - lots of choice at pocket money prices, and will survive a crash that would wreck a balsa plane. Budget for £100 electronics ( the controller & batteries can be swapped to other planes) + £100 for the plane. Cheap fun https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aircraft/planes.html?___store=en_us

• 2 weeks later...
Happy Renting
On 08/01/2021 at 14:47, gilf said:

Posh bastards, all we had when I was a kid were these.

91Nb7pDvVYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I never liked those foam planes.

The good ones were balsa, the wings were stuck into a Y-shaped extrusion that sat on the simple rigid fuselage, and was strong enough to take a fair-sized elastic band.

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
goldbug9999
On 13/03/2021 at 06:55, Happy Renting said:

I never liked those foam planes.

The good ones were balsa, the wings were stuck into a Y-shaped extrusion that sat on the simple rigid fuselage, and was strong enough to take a fair-sized elastic band.

Yeah I remember those as a kid, every seaside shop used to sell them in the 70s.