DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I nearly didn't click on this article as it reminded me of that interview question "What will you do in your first hundred days?".

I thought I'd post for the perusal of you lot when I got to this bit near the begining.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90586719/how-the-chaos-of-2020-will-shape-the-next-decade-according-to-8-design-experts?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

"The Great Virus of 2020 caused a complete breakdown of the education system. Models of mass education based on packing people into rows of learners became untenable and unsafe. By 2030, resources from defunding the police will be reallocated to education budgets such that student-to-teacher ratios become 10:1, creating small learning pods."

The bit on plant based meat substitute immediately created a desire to have kobe beef air freighted in direct from Japan.

So, what does the next ten years hold in store for us?

The only big question of the next 10 years will be the extent to which tech continues to envelope our lives or whether there is a kick back against it. I see a widening gap between the young- brought up on laptops/ everything digital and often educated online and the 40+ who vaguely remember an era before tech and fight to nurture what remains of the simpler pleasures in life.

Population crisis/decline will be the big thing in 10 years time as other developed countries follows Japans "extinction" crisis.

Edited by desertorchid
58 minutes ago, desertorchid said:

The only big question of the next 10 years will be the extent to which tech continues to envelope our lives or whether there is a kick back against it. I see a widening gap between the young- brought up on laptops/ everything digital and often educated online and the 40+ who vaguely remember an era before tech and fight to nurture what remains of the simpler pleasures in life.

Population crisis/decline will be the big thing in 10 years time as other developed countries follows Japans "extinction" crisis.

It's only a crisis in a multicultural society with differing groups, some which shrink, some which grow (see USA).  in Japan, I'd call it 'intelligence resource management'

8 minutes ago, wherebee said:

It's only a crisis in a multicultural society with differing groups, some which shrink, some which grow (see USA).  in Japan, I'd call it 'intelligence resource management'

It needn't be a crisis but will be as the symptom will be further government controls, multicultural tensions as indigenous groups decline, inequalities and health scares. We wont even be free of the "climate" crisis as Africa will continue to breed like rabbits.

45 minutes ago, desertorchid said:

It needn't be a crisis but will be as the symptom will be further government controls, multicultural tensions as indigenous groups decline, inequalities and health scares. We wont even be free of the "climate" crisis as Africa will continue to breed like rabbits.

I was walking down my towns high street last week and saw an African.  Not a native Australian (first country abo), lots of those blackfellas about, but an African.  I was actually shocked to realise it's the first time I have seen an African in about a year in person.

Then I was pleased and remembered one of the reasons I moved to Australia.  Because we should avoid the worst of the racial conflict shite in the coming decades.  Australia has a small African population, and they cause way more violent crime than other, beneficial incomers per head of population (fact), but no way will it grow as fast as that in Europe.

3 hours ago, wherebee said:

I was walking down my towns high street last week and saw an African.  Not a native Australian (first country abo), lots of those blackfellas about, but an African.  I was actually shocked to realise it's the first time I have seen an African in about a year in person.

Then I was pleased and remembered one of the reasons I moved to Australia.  Because we should avoid the worst of the racial conflict shite in the coming decades.  Australia has a small African population, and they cause way more violent crime than other, beneficial incomers per head of population (fact), but no way will it grow as fast as that in Europe.

That’s how it seemed in Europe at the start of my lifetime. I saw some Asians, especially after the Uganda expulsions, but the only Africans were to be found in the nasty bits of London. Fast forward 45 years and.... 

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Private Pensions crisis as most people realise they have been robbed of their retirement whilst party members (public sector) have been protected at their expense. Disparity between the two 50-80% at equivalence.

I honestly cannot see how this can be avoided. All assets are speculative now and pension companies are being forced into negative yields for security. As this extends and financial crisis become more regular, It seems the idea of secure pensions in retirement might disappear forever. Public sector wont be let off, will have to be further eroded as government debt spirals.

37 minutes ago, desertorchid said:

I honestly cannot see how this can be avoided. All assets are speculative now and pension companies are being forced into negative yields for security. As this extends and financial crisis become more regular, It seems the idea of secure pensions in retirement might disappear forever. Public sector wont be let off, will have to be further eroded as government debt spirals.

I thought this but I read the local LGPS triennial valuation, interesting man that I am, and they were mostly invested in global equities and had done very well as a consequence.  Maybe they're required to have something like 20% in A rated bonds as insurance even if the return is dire but that doesn't crash the overall return.

As to the next ten years my view remains: more of the same.

The first major change will be the energy crisis of 2030 or thereabouts when the massive Saudi oil reserves are revealed to be no more than oily water and the oil price jumps, taking other energy prices with it, and dragging food prices up in their wake.

This will bring a sudden realisation that there isn't enough energy and food to go around for such a massive global population, there can be no "harvest for the world".  You now have winners and losers.

Countries start to shut their borders to the unskilled owing to the huge jump in the cost of benefits when energy and food spike and the big resource wars start: Iraq, Iran and Venezuela are on the board and the game begins.  Gentlemen please start your engines.

49 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Private Pensions crisis as most people realise they have been robbed of their retirement whilst party members (public sector) have been protected at their expense. Disparity between the two 50-80% at equivalence.

*IF* theyd funded public pensions when the benefit accrued i.e. the year they work - then the issue would be not too bad.

If they insist on running a PAYG system then they cannot promise any pension level - the payouts are took from the lsuh fund.

Before brown increased public sector pay ~2x and increased the payroll by ~3m there was a possibility that the pensions would have got thru OK, with a bit of tweaks.

There isnt a chance UKGOV can pay what theyve promised and still have a functioning economy now,.

8 hours ago, desertorchid said:

I'm not a hundred percent convinced on that. I lived in the centre of Nottingham until recently, the area where I lived has a high proportion of youngsters, twenty somethings et cetera.

Hipster beard oil drenched woke twats aside, I noticed a definite trend eschewing technology, not being beholdent to it. Old vinyl/music, record players, valve amps, accoustic music, old cars, maker workshops, that type of thing. Smartphones are ubiquitous, but I wouldn't say a great deal more than boomer generation to be honest. If anything they seemed more aware of the surveilllance society and pushing back.

I got to know a few and it lightened my heart just a little bit as I found them to be a lot more switched on than I was expecting. I think we have a tendency (myself included) to tar people with the same brush, which can often be a mistake. How groups are portrayed in the media doesn't help.

8 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I nearly didn't click on this article as it reminded me of that interview question "What will you do in your first hundred days?".

I thought I'd post for the perusal of you lot when I got to this bit near the begining.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90586719/how-the-chaos-of-2020-will-shape-the-next-decade-according-to-8-design-experts?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

"The Great Virus of 2020 caused a complete breakdown of the education system. Models of mass education based on packing people into rows of learners became untenable and unsafe. By 2030, resources from defunding the police will be reallocated to education budgets such that student-to-teacher ratios become 10:1, creating small learning pods."

The bit on plant based meat substitute immediately created a desire to have kobe beef air freighted in direct from Japan.

Big tax rises change to benifits gradually 

7 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Hipster beard oil drenched woke twats aside, I noticed a definite trend eschewing technology, not being beholdent to it. Old vinyl/music, record players, valve amps, accoustic music, old cars, maker workshops, that type of thing.

Sounds a bit old fashioned to me, like the 60s, hippies and stuff.

19 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Hipster beard oil drenched woke twats aside, I noticed a definite trend eschewing technology, not being beholdent to it. Old vinyl/music, record players, valve amps, accoustic music, old cars, maker workshops, that type of thing. Smartphones are ubiquitous, but I wouldn't say a great deal more than boomer generation to be honest. If anything they seemed more aware of the surveilllance society and pushing back.

People get the old technology, set it up, and then tell everyone on Facebook about it.  After a little while they get bored of it and sell it to someone else so that they can tell their friends on Facebook.

8 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Starter for 10.  

Does Bill Gates have significant investments in one (or more) companies that make artificial meat?

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Starter for 10.  

Does Bill Gates have significant investments in one (or more) companies that make artificial meat?

I'd put that up there with jet packs and riderless motorcycles, seven league boots, and flying carpets.

Bill Gates is one of the notable celebrities (along with actress Jessica Chastain, Jay Z and others) backing the burgeoning plant-based meat industry. Besides Beyond Meat, the billionaire is also an early investor in Impossible Foods, which is reportedly mulling an IPO soon.
2 minutes ago, onlyme said:
Bill Gates is one of the notable celebrities (along with actress Jessica Chastain, Jay Z and others) backing the burgeoning plant-based meat industry. Besides Beyond Meat, the billionaire is also an early investor in Impossible Foods, which is reportedly mulling an IPO soon.

Maybe there's a market for it. Quorn sausages ain't bad, but they sure must take a lot of processing.

9 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Why would anyone refund the police? Apart from people who want trouble I can only guess those that want private police forces.

1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Hopefully they'll give me a pillow. 

image.png.b25254f9bafa9ceaeb714a6d540d6289.png

Scented?