DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What happened to This Time ?

Libspero

Our in-house virologist..   or at least,  worked in that field.

Not seen since early October..    and from memory was in a high risk group.

Hope he/she’s ok :/

@This Time

Edited by Libspero
  • Agree 1
swiss_democracy_for_all
44 minutes ago, Libspero said:

@This Time

I thought she just stopped posting because she (more or less) wanted the whole world shut down to eliminate Covid and no-one on here agreed with her so she grew tired of being shouted down? October, you say? I thought more like April/May time.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1
Frank Hovis

She was in a high risk group so, probably correctly from her point of view, saw Covid as a deadly plague which required extreme measures to deal with.

She was however unable to accommodate the viewpoint that for 99% of people it was an irrelevance and therefore not worthy of the extreme response measures when all that was required was to isolate and support those who were genuinely vulnerable like her.

From that entrenched position no compromise or debate was possible despite such being the meat and drink here; she started shouting her unchanging view in ever-increasing font sizes until, realising that that wasn't going to work, gave up and withdrew. 

• Agree 2
Libspero

I never sensed that strong frustration..  just a differing viewpoint.   Her commentary sometimes provided interesting insight for those of us without a technical virological background.

I’m mostly just concerned that she’s ok..  

• Agree 2
Frank Hovis
3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I never sensed that strong frustration..  just a differing viewpoint.   Her commentary sometimes provided interesting insight for those of us without a technical virological background.

I’m mostly just concerned that she’s ok..  

There definitely was frustration and anger however she didn't have a go at anyone personally and was honestly expressing her views so counts as a reasonable poster IMO and such are always welcome here. 

• Agree 5
Yadda yadda yadda
25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

She was in a high risk group so, probably correctly from her point of view, saw Covid as a deadly plague which required extreme measures to deal with.

She was however unable to accommodate the viewpoint that for 99% of people it was an irrelevance and therefore not worthy of the extreme response measures when all that was required was to isolate and support those who were genuinely vulnerable like her.

From that entrenched position no compromise or debate was possible despite such being the meat and drink here; she started shouting her unchanging view in ever-increasing font sizes until, realising that that wasn't going to work, gave up and withdrew. 

Disagree on it being an irrelevance for 99%. We don't know which 1% are the absolute most vulnerable. There are probably 70% who are at effectively no risk. Then an exponential curve. Even amongst those you would categorise as being in the most risky 1% a large number would survive.

With the widespread poor health in the UK there is a large percentage who need to at least consider their chances of survival or a nasty stay in hospital should they get it. They have to weigh that risk up against the reward of enjoying as best they can the life they have left.

• Agree 3
Yadda yadda yadda
11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There definitely was frustration and anger however she didn't have a go at anyone personally and was honestly expressing her views so counts as a reasonable poster IMO and such are always welcome here. 

She was interesting. The all meat diet for example. I hope she is well. Definitely frustrated that her views were increasingly ignored. Shame she stopped posting but credit for not losing her temper or flouncing.

• Agree 5
Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Disagree on it being an irrelevance for 99%. We don't know which 1% are the absolute most vulnerable. There are probably 70% who are at effectively no risk. Then an exponential curve. Even amongst those you would categorise as being in the most risky 1% a large number would survive.

With the widespread poor health in the UK there is a large percentage who need to at least consider their chances of survival or a nasty stay in hospital should they get it. They have to weigh that risk up against the reward of enjoying as best they can the life they have left.

Yes.

I exaggerated because of what I see as the hugely disproportionate response.

Only today kids' education takes another kicking, university education is dire, vast numbers in the service and entertainment sectors have lost their livelihoods, savings and probably homes, and the national debt has been kicked up towards wartime levels (and then comes post wartime levels of rationing and austerity to get it down again) for something that, to take your figures, has zero effect upon 70% of the population and little effect upon the great majority of the 30%.

• Agree 5
nirvana
34 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

The all meat diet for example

you can't live on an all meat diet....CJD, or one of it's cousins like parkinsons, probably finished her off O.o

JoeDavola
45 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

With the widespread poor health in the UK there is a large percentage who need to at least consider their chances of survival or a nasty stay in hospital should they get it.

When you look at the official UK descriptions of 'high risk' groups, the majority of them are lifestyle-bourne ilnesses, i.e. being fat, sedentary, and eating garbage.

The covid death rate would go down even more if everyone got as healthy as possible.

• Agree 2
JoeDavola
2 hours ago, Libspero said:

@This Time

I'd guess (and hope) that she is fine, but has maybe found that her life is better maybe not reading the internet and worrying as much about things?

Which I can completely understand. Either way I hope she's well.

EDIT: Last post in May, quoted below, last post in October:

image.png.329551098cff5835f39076a3ad3ac581.png

So she said she was going to stop posting and did. Which is actually something I find quite admirable. She's fine I'm sure.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 4
spunko

No idea...

Her 100% meat only diet idea was batshit mental, let's be honest. I don't want to censor comments but it did occur to me at the time that some other people might actually read that shit on here and try it for themselves, which concerned me. In the end I decided we take our own chances in life etc.

• Agree 3
swiss_democracy_for_all
1 minute ago, spunko said:

No idea...

Her 100% meat only diet idea was batshit mental, let's be honest. I don't want to censor comments but it did occur to me at the time that some other people might actually read that shit on here and try it for themselves, which concerned me. In the end I decided we take our own chances in life etc.

Not only that but it wasn't 100% grass-fed organic steaks and the like, it was cheap Tesco mince! :Sick1:

• Informative 1
eight
47 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

When you look at the official UK descriptions of 'high risk' groups, the majority of them are lifestyle-bourne ilnesses, i.e. being fat, sedentary, and eating garbage.

The trash heap off Fraggle Rock is fucked.

• Lol 1
Stuey
1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

I am coming round to this way of thinking. The internet is not helping my mental health right now. Ignorance is bliss a lot of the time now. Who wants to read about further erosion of you civil liberties day after fucking day??

I've stopped watching TV news and recommended it to family over Christmas. But I'd agree that here, Lockdown Sceptics, Zero Hedge and Order Order have just filled the gap and more besides.

While I might be "better informed" it does lead me to what others see as unusual views.

Not sure what the solution is tbh. 

• Agree 2
spunko
2 hours ago, Popuplights said:

I am coming round to this way of thinking. The internet is not helping my mental health right now. Ignorance is bliss a lot of the time now. Who wants to read about further erosion of you civil liberties day after fucking day??

Just don't read those threads then. You can be quite selective on here if you want to be. :Old:

invalid
3 hours ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

She was interesting. The all meat diet for example. I hope she is well. Definitely frustrated that her views were increasingly ignored. Shame she stopped posting but credit for not losing her temper or flouncing.

I hope she decides to come back at some point. It's important to remember that what gets posted is not always representative of the views of the majority of the readers. She made some interesting posts and regarding the meat only deit, while not for me it was still interesting to to read the differing views.

Brexit is a good example. One forum I used to post on had a number of very vocal remainers who like most remainers seemed to have lots of spare time to post on forums. A very small numer of leavers would post (myself included) and immediately get shouted down or ganged up on (I didn't mind as I enjoyed the challenge and was actively looking for a challenging debate). But I am sure that there were a bigger number of leavers who read but didn't post, partly because of not having the time and partly because the debate did get a bit toxic at times (it was always the remainers that kicked off with name calling etc).

No point preaching to the converted as they say.

• Agree 4
Popuplights
1 hour ago, spunko said:

Just don't read those threads then. You can be quite selective on here if you want to be. :Old:

I know mate. I will try harder!