DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Insight into a UK leftist liberal mind

Just now I was looking up a guy I went to Uni with, but haven’t spoken to for 20 years.

His name search threw up his Quora page. Wow! What an insight into the other way of thinking!

Bearing in mind this is a guy who grew up on a farm on the rural Solway Coast, Cumbria!

I’d be interested in the Hive’s views. Are we the stupid bad guys???

https://www.quora.com/profile/Jimmy-Burfield

In a nutshell, Conservatives rule from the head, Labour rules from the heart. That's why Labour governments always bankrupt the country.

Albeit a left-wing approach can be precisely the right one at certain points in history. For example during a period of recovery from a world war where everything is buggered anyway.

Mind you - at least he's read some Douglas Adams.

Reading through that he seems fairly middle of the road rather than a foaming at the mouth loon like @ccc's nemesis silver hairy who has been recently banned from Twitter.  He might not be agreeing with the majority views on here for example but he could be a reasonable poster rather than a WuM or Troll.

You tend to get more of an indication of a person's character from Facebook or Twitter where the lack of coherent thought stemming from the enforced brevity of the postings removes the nuances of personality and reduces them to visual grunts of shared pictures and statements.  Hence you get Orange Man Bad or MAGA with very little in between.  

It took about a minute to find a line that Jimmy B has posted;-

"Jews are survivors they are a resourceful people"

Whilst probably true, is it a thought/speech crime as it implies that the Jews as a race have specific characteristics that are different to the rest of us ?

I think he is taking a risk posting things like that as there are plenty of rabid, foaming at the mouth types who would use this as proof that he is a die-hard racist - even though you and I would think this it is highly unlikely to be the case.

In truth a lot of what he says makes sense, although he has a dim view of people who don't agree with him. He is very much yellow man bad and all his supporters are stupid etc etc..

Edited by Bornagain
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Reading through that he seems fairly middle of the road rather than a foaming at the mouth loon like @ccc's nemesis silver hairy who has been recently banned from Twitter.  He might not be agreeing with the majority views on here for example but he could be a reasonable poster rather than a WuM or Troll.

You tend to get more of an indication of a person's character from Facebook or Twitter where the lack of coherent thought stemming from the enforced brevity of the postings removes the nuances of personality and reduces them to visual grunts of shared pictures and statements.  Hence you get Orange Man Bad or MAGA with very little in between.  

I think what struck me is the “Science, science, debunked, debunked, evidence evidence” theme  which to me is an eye-opener to how, for example,  the Democrats feel they can openly rig an election by using that theme.

1 minute ago, Jazztraveller said:

I think what struck me is the “Science, science, debunked, debunked, evidence evidence” theme

That is because you are dealing with experts who can tell you with authority that no-one could ever falsify something scientific, and you are really really dumb for even thinking that it might be possible.

No. If it’s a sincerely held belief or opinion. That is free speech. It also depends on context? For example the famine in the Ukraine was instigated by failed changes to farming system? Also dissidents? it depends if you define Stalin and the Soviet Union as communist?

According to Jimmy Bullshit, the Soviet Union may have not been Communist after all.
Surely the same logic could apply to the Nazis and Adolf Hitler.
Edited by M S E Refugee
2 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

No. If it’s a sincerely held belief or opinion. That is free speech. It also depends on context? For example the famine in the Ukraine was instigated by failed changes to farming system? Also dissidents? it depends if you define Stalin and the Soviet Union as communist?

According to Jimmy Bullshit, the Soviet Union may have not been Communist after all.

I've heard exactly that before and the argument is fairly sound.

Communism is some hippy trippy idealistic system of government that could never really exist; the Soviet leadership called itself communists but really they were fascists using spin and symbolism to exploit the people without their realising it.

See also liberal Joe Biden and the Chinese Communist Party: woke, antifa, BLM symbolism whilst crushing the people into the ground.

5 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

Ahh.

Another variation of 'Tony Blair was not a Labour PMM therefore Labour did not lose the election'

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I've heard exactly that before and the argument is fairly sound.

Communism is some hippy trippy idealistic system of government that could never really exist; the Soviet leadership called itself communists but really they were fascists using spin and symbolism to exploit the people without their realising it.

See also liberal Joe Biden and the Chinese Communist Party: woke, antifa, BLM symbolism whilst crushing the people into the ground.

It is interesting that you can deny holocausts committed by Communists like Pol Pot,Mao and Stalin without being given any grief or even jailed.

10 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

What a pointless thing to say.

Should it be illegal to spread the lie that communism killed people?

• Define 'illegal'.
  • Define 'lie'
  • Define 'communism'
  • Define 'killed'
  • Define 'people'
Just now, Jazztraveller said:

To be fair, he did get me into The Levellers back in the day.

Is that a secret Lodge of Bakers, which isn't secret, because everyone can see it, and read the sign that says "Secret Lodge of Bakers"?

13 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

It is interesting that you can deny holocausts committed by Communists like Pol Pot,Mao and Stalin without being given any grief or even jailed.

That does show, though I am treading on @Carl Fimble's toes here, the power of the Jewish lobby in the US IMO.

You can deny, or rather question and investigate - "deny" is one of those false binaries like anti-vaxxer - each and every holocaust through history bar that during Nazi Germany.

Be it Cambodia, Armenia, the Ukraine or Russia. 

Why I said communism can never actually work is because it is a fairy story; "from each according to their talents, to each according to their needs" doesn't work on any level.  From the benefits recipient all the way to Phillip Green each takes more than they need and works less than they can.

The only way to get a semblance of that occurring is to force identikit equality upon everybody (party leaders excepted) through threat of or actual violence:

Same homes

high-rise-2.jpg?w=620

Same clothes

APphoto_China-Cultural-Revolution-Photo-

Same jobs

1e726f2b14b1ff92619be837870d6082.jpg

I haven't read the link just the comments on this thread. Someone is not reasonable and middle of the road if they start claiming communism didn't kill people. The example given above is farming. If you reform farming so that the experts leave and/or remove the profit motive then your yield will go down. A lot. If you rely on that food people will die. See also Zimbabwe.

Besides gulags, great leap forward, etc. Communism kills by its very nature.

The 'no true communism' bullshit is just that. Of course it is impossible to have true communism as the leaders will always want the best for themselves whilst mandating average for everyone else. They just forget that that part of human nature, greed and ambition, applies to everyone rather than just themselves. The average will fall as there is no motivation other than not being gulaged to death.

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That does show, though I am treading on @Carl Fimble's toes here, the power of the Jewish lobby in the US IMO.

You can deny, or rather question and investigate - "deny" is one of those false binaries like anti-vaxxer - each and every holocaust through history bar that during Nazi Germany.

Be it Cambodia, Armenia, the Ukraine or Russia. 

Why I said communism can never actually work is because it is a fairy story; "from each according to their talents, to each according to their needs" doesn't work on any level.  From the benefits recipient all the way to Phillip Green each takes more than they need and works less than they can.

The only way to get a semblance of that occurring is to force identikit equality upon everybody (party leaders excepted) through threat of or actual violence:

Same homes

high-rise-2.jpg?w=620

Same clothes

APphoto_China-Cultural-Revolution-Photo-

Same jobs

1e726f2b14b1ff92619be837870d6082.jpg

Tread away, I've got steelies on!