DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Savings....Any point having any now?

Sucralose Ray Leonard

Sucralose Ray Leonard

Is there? If you've already bought and paid off your mortgage, which is the biggest expense most people will ever have, is there any point in having savings anymore?

Is it all going to get inflated, eroded or stolem from us to pay for all this lockdown bollocks?

I dont mean should we invest in gold or batcoin either.

Is it now better to improve your house, through energy efficiency, add extra security etc. Not tat like a 80" chav box.

They could steal all my money easily enough, as its all 1's and 0's but they will only take my property over my cold dead body. 

• Agree 3
Austin Allegro
1 minute ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Is there? If you've already bought and paid off your mortgage, which is the biggest expense most people will ever have, is there any point in having savings anymore?

Is it all going to get inflated, eroded or stolem from us to pay for all this lockdown bollocks?

Is it now better to improve your house, through energy efficiency, add extra security etc. Not tat like a 80" chav box.

They could steal all my money easily enough, as its all 1's and 0's but they will only take my property over my cold dead body. 

Yes, I've been wondering that. Though I'm hoping to move this year (cash payment,  no mortgage), so it makes sense to be cash heavy at the moment. Once that's done I think I'll put most of my money in small portable valuables such as gold, silver, jewels etc.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Andersen

Good question but I don't know what the answer is :/

Property ia secure - but will prices fall more than what you lose in devaluation? Physical bling / collectables - will their value go up or down? Ideally something portable that won't deteriorate, non-tracable, and that won't lose value. But what? ¬¬ Buy homebrew kits in bulk before the alcohol ban? :Beer: 

maynardgravy
53 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

but they will only take my property over my cold dead body. 

I've got an untested vaccine for you...

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
the gardener
1 hour ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I've been spending a fair bit recently. 

£1800 having two rooms, hallway & landing, plus front of house & porch painted.  Probably get the guy back for a couple of rooms upstairs ~ £1000.

£1000 for engineered oak floor in front room. 

£1000 on new radiators in two rooms. 

£2000+ today on an electric bike for my son. Might as well as we are locked down for months and football is cancelled. 

Thinking of a DIY solar kit to slap on the log cabin. Might do a 1kW system to start. ~ £1500.

Need to buy a couple of sofas fairly soon- £2000 or so. 

Why the hell not? Can't take it with me and the government will be stealing it soon enough. 

• Agree 9
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
Democorruptcy
1 hour ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

There's a Wallander called Firewall where all the money in the financial system was going to vanish if the great man hadn't stopped the baddie putting his card in the ATM. Anyway I don't want to spoil it.

• Agree 1
SNACR

Anyone in some govt endorsed help to buy isa type thing would be fine in any eventuality, I’d imagine.

Frank Hovis
7 hours ago, the gardener said:

£1800 having two rooms, hallway & landing, plus front of house & porch painted.  Probably get the guy back for a couple of rooms upstairs ~ £1000.

£2000+ today on an electric bike for my son. Might as well as we are locked down for months and football is cancelled. 

Thinking of a DIY solar kit to slap on the log cabin. Might do a 1kW system to start. ~ £1500.

Why the hell not? Can't take it with me and the government will be stealing it soon enough. 

Absolutely bang on strategy.

They are in themselves investments and also bring you material benefit.

• Agree 3
dgul

Invest in your ability to offer something of value to people, preferably locally.

The future problems will come because far too many people are completely useless, but think that they're useful because they're busy at the moment.

• Agree 7
  • Cheers 1
apples
11 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Though I'm hoping to move this year (cash payment,  no mortgage), so it makes sense to be cash heavy at the moment.

Me too, and it makes me very, very nervous! :(

• Agree 2
gilf
13 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Saving money (for me and I suspect many) has always been about securing a future.

So yes money invested in the above would for me effectively be the same as saving money. 

I'm just about to pay off my mortgage, that will clear my savings, however I will be in a position to build them up again very quickly. That money will the be used for a bit of time off but also to do similar things and future proof my home a bit.

Edited by gilf
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
spunko
16 hours ago, the gardener said:

WTF is going on? Someone has listed their quotes for building work without anyone subsequently criticising how they've paid over the odds :Old:

So allow me... £1000 for 2 radiators is daylight robbery :D

Unless they're those solid iron ones.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 4
sarahbell
50 minutes ago, spunko said:

WTF is going on? Someone has listed their quotes for building work without anyone subsequently criticising how they've paid over the odds :Old:

So allow me... £1000 for 2 radiators is daylight robbery :D

Unless they're those solid iron ones.

The painting sounds very expensive too. 

stokiescum
9 hours ago, SomersetMatt said:

Sunak will give away (invest 😊) another £50billion today... 

free beer I hope

23rdian

It's worth having savings....

...so you can put it into BTC *

* Only joking folks DYOR

• Agree 1
Sucralose Ray Leonard
17 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

There's a Wallander called Firewall where all the money in the financial system was going to vanish if the great man hadn't stopped the baddie putting his card in the ATM. Anyway I don't want to spoil it.

I had to read this quite a few times before i figured out what you were on about.

Never heard of bellender before, nor that it was a motion picture for the small screen.

:-)

• Lol 1
Bobthebuilder
10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Absolutely bang on strategy.

They are in themselves investments and also bring you material benefit.

As you once said to me "it's called capital investment".

• Agree 1
Dogtania
12 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

free beer I hope

Maybe @Stuey right idea invest in booze.

Seriously, with the South Africa banning again (I wasn't aware this time) it may only be a matter of time here.

i guess South Africa cheaper country to pay off or corrupt internally idk.

probably best going t total but can't see that happening right now.  Those wine kit things you used to buy during prohibition in the US come to mind (unless you were rich and had scotch).

• Cheers 1
Democorruptcy
3 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I had to read this quite a few times before i figured out what you were on about.

Never heard of bellender before, nor that it was a motion picture for the small screen.

:-)

I'd read them all, book https://d30a6s96kk7rhm.cloudfront.net/original/978/009/957/9780099571766.jpg

UK Branagh version https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00g2449/wallander-series-1-2-firewall

GBDamo

For the first time in nearly five years I have over four figures in my account at the end of the month.

I can categorically guarantee governmental theft of cash will commence forthwith.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
sleepwello'nights
1 hour ago, GBDamo said:

For the first time in nearly five years I have over four figures in my account at the end of the month.

I can categorically guarantee governmental theft of cash will commence forthwith.

Are you including pence :D

• Lol 5
GBDamo
Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

Fuck, rumbled. Thats what you get for trying to big it up on the Internet.. 

• Lol 3
stop_the_craziness

Originally my savings were to buy a house.   Now they are just there to buy me out of any future trouble I may not be able to avoid (medical, legal whatever).  For that reason it does not really matter that they grow, they just need to exist.  Even gradual erosion doesn't bother me that much.  But having them actually taken away would be hard.

• Agree 2
eight
9 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I've got halfway to six figures.

Three figures.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1