DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dumb shit, employers and covid paranoia.

Snark

Been sent home by employer to get a covid test, because I coughed a few times today, somebody noticed and got paranoid. I had a cold 4 days ago, I always get a productive cough after a cold, this often lasts at least 2 weeks due to my sinuses having permanent damage from a bad infection when I was a teenager, I have NO symptoms of covid19 at all........

Guess what? cannot get a test because I don't have symptoms. It seems my only course of action is to pay for a test which I know will come back negative, currently sat at home wondering wtf has the world come to?!?!

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

Mental Floss

Er yes you do. You have:

• New and continuous cough - coughing a lot for more than an hour, or having three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours"

Well if you want a free test you do.

• Agree 9

sarahbell
23 minutes ago, Snark said:

Been sent home by employer to get a covid test, because I coughed a few times today, somebody noticed and got paranoid. I had a cold 4 days ago, I always get a productive cough after a cold, this often lasts at least 2 weeks due to my sinuses having permanent damage from a bad infection when I was a teenager, I have NO symptoms of covid19 at all........

Guess what? cannot get a test because I don't have symptoms. It seems my only course of action is to pay for a test which I know will come back negative, currently sat at home wondering wtf has the world come to?!?!

You have a cough!

Chewing Grass
26 minutes ago, Snark said:

Get your tosspot employer to pay for it as they sent you home - presumably on full pay...

• Agree 4

I thought it was a dry cough that was a sympton?*  I had a cold at Christmas and am still coughing (very occasionally) with some gunk in my chest.

*I know it 'may be continuous to get a test done free'

• Agree 1

sarahbell
18 minutes ago, NewryH said:

I thought it was a dry cough that was a sympton?*  I had a cold at Christmas and am still coughing (very occasionally) with some gunk in my chest.

*I know it 'may be continuous to get a test done free'

New cough ceases to be new after how long?

Mirror Mirror
1 hour ago, Snark said:

Im pretty sure your employer is on thin ice here. Since when has your boss had authority over you to force you to have medical tests and interventions done? If the test comes back positive, it’s likely to be false (even more so after an infection, since the tests seem to react to any old viral material), and then what? You’re looking at 14 days house arrest, lost income? Plans outside of work ruined?

I’d ask my employer where it’s written in law, or my contract that I have to get a covid test just because I have an post cold cough ( which as has been pointed out, is not a covid symptom, if it’s productive).

Id also ask if they have done a risk assessment of requiring employees to submit to unnecessary medical tests.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

You have a cough!

Burn the witch!!! 🔥 

• Agree 2

sarahbell
1 hour ago, eight said:

When it gets old.

Listening to someone else cough gets old very quickly

1 hour ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Im pretty sure your employer is on thin ice here. Since when has your boss had authority over you to force you to have medical tests and interventions done? If the test comes back positive, it’s likely to be false (even more so after an infection, since the tests seem to react to any old viral material), and then what? You’re looking at 14 days house arrest, lost income? Plans outside of work ruined?

I’d ask my employer where it’s written in law, or my contract that I have to get a covid test just because I have an post cold cough ( which as has been pointed out, is not a covid symptom, if it’s productive).

Id also ask if they have done a risk assessment of requiring employees to submit to unnecessary medical tests.

Burn the witch!!! 🔥 

If you've been asked by work to have a test then have one.

You've got a cough. That should be enough to get you a test booked. And if it's not then ... The country is probably triply infected more than it is.

It's their risk assessment to keep the work place safe for everyone.

Edited by sarahbell
  • Agree 1

Mirror Mirror
20 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Listening to someone else cough gets old very quickly

If you've been asked by work to have a test then have one.

You've got a cough. That should be enough to get you a test booked. And if it's not then ... The country is probably triply infected more than it is.

It's their risk assessment to keep the work place safe for everyone.

Well you’ve conveniently ignored the downside risks to the individual which I mentioned, but that aside, I can only repeat, what gives the employer the right to demand that you go for arbitrary health tests, as it seems in this case, just to placate a co workers paranoia?

The OP stated that he had had a cold and that he always gets a productive cough afterwards, which isn’t a covid symptom, why should he go to the inconvenience of getting a test? You might as well advocate sending him because he has an ingrowing toenail.

And don’t you think this sets a dangerous precident, as if there were not already enough of those around? What if an employee has a reputation for being promiscuous and someone raises concerns about catching an STD from the communal toilets. Is the employer within their rights or is it reasonable for them to send the employee for some kind of invasive test?

Where do we draw the line?

• Agree 4

sarahbell
19 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Well you’ve conveniently ignored the downside risks to the individual which I mentioned, but that aside, I can only repeat, what gives the employer the right to demand that you go for arbitrary health tests, as it seems in this case, just to placate a co workers paranoia?

The OP stated that he had had a cold and that he always gets a productive cough afterwards, which isn’t a covid symptom, why should he go to the inconvenience of getting a test? You might as well advocate sending him because he has an ingrowing toenail.

And don’t you think this sets a dangerous precident, as if there were not already enough of those around? What if an employee has a reputation for being promiscuous and someone raises concerns about catching an STD from the communal toilets. Is the employer within their rights or is it reasonable for them to send the employee for some kind of invasive test?

Where do we draw the line?

There's a pandemic on 

The person coughing is displaying a symptom of the disease behind the pandemic.

If you were a sex worker you'd be asked to have health checks

Mirror Mirror
9 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

There's a pandemic on 

The person coughing is displaying a symptom of the disease behind the pandemic.

If you were a sex worker you'd be asked to have health checks

Well I would disagree and say we’re in a manufactured ‘casedemic’.

As I explained, a productive cough after a cold isn’t a covid symptom, the fact that it is in the mind of the co worker doesn’t make it so.

No one is talking about sex workers.

I think we’re getting into straw man territory here so I’ll withdraw. I just wanted to use the example to raise what I think are interesting ethical questions, against the background that covid seems to be a valid excuse to violate every existing right and protocol that we (thought we) had.

• Agree 5

HR are going to have a nightmare when the offices get repopulated with Covid bedwetters and sceptics in equal measure.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2

3 hours ago, apples said:

What kind of "proof" of you having a test do they require?

My brother went through this exact scenario last year Off with the normal cold leading to flem on the chest so started coughing, told by employer to get a test before going back. Test came back negative, he sent the email of the test result to his employer, then stayed off until the cough went anyway as it's less hassle, better healthwise for co-workers, and he was on sick pay.

The sheer number of NHS staff and police reported to be off due to covid shows the system isn't working when the majority are isolating without symptoms after being in contact with someone that tested positive. They only get tested if have symptoms (even medica/emergency service workers?) otherwise sat isolating for however many days is now required. So it's all those asymptomatic 'not sure if have it' isolating for days on end (longer than it would take to get a test result) that may not even have it that are dragging the system to its knees.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

sarahbell
1 hour ago, TheNickos said:

take your time getting a test, load up on booze and netflix :D

It's got to be done.

Time off work at their expense.

• Agree 3

After I tested positive, my work forced me to take the Friday & Monday off even though I could easily have worked.  It was devastating...... the hangover I went back with on the Tuesday.  If you're still getting paid lap it up. 

Just phone the number and say you've got a cough and loss of smell.

• Agree 5

If you want to maximise the time off paid, then say a family member has tested positive and politely suggest 2 weeks off paid.

Then go back for a couple of days, wait, and then start coughing, imply that you suddenly can't taste this lovely Nescafe you used to enjoy, etc. You want a test. Another 2 weeks off.

If you have kids then you may want to time it to be over half term (or not?).

Easy to get a month off paid at the moment...

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2

18 minutes ago, spunko said:

If you want to maximise the time off paid, then say a family member has tested positive and politely suggest 2 weeks off paid.

Then go back for a couple of days, wait, and then start coughing, imply that you suddenly can't taste this lovely Nescafe you used to enjoy, etc. You want a test. Another 2 weeks off.

If you have kids then you may want to time it to be over half term (or not?).

Easy to get a month off paid at the moment...

The only regret I have from my time at the big corps was that I never took enough time off sick. Not something I would do if working for a smaller business but in my book large multinational orgs are fair game for some paid sick leave.

• Agree 3

Battenberg

Youngest son, 16 was throwing up Tuesday night due to eating an out of date chicken pasta that was in the fridge. Took it to work and 12 hours later was spewing his guts up in the middle of the night. Called in sick yesterday with food poisoning. Turned up in work today and has been sent home and told to get a COVID test. Going midday today. Seems a bit of an overreaction to me.

sarahbell
1 hour ago, Battenberg said:

Youngest son, 16 was throwing up Tuesday night due to eating an out of date chicken pasta that was in the fridge. Took it to work and 12 hours later was spewing his guts up in the middle of the night. Called in sick yesterday with food poisoning. Turned up in work today and has been sent home and told to get a COVID test. Going midday today. Seems a bit of an overreaction to me.

People are lying because they don't want to be forced to stay in.

Which is why we're still discussing covid 

• Agree 1