DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Vitamin d now in..

sarahbell

sarahbell

Actimel. 

Don't know how long but seen an advertisement for it on TV today.

It's also available in some flavoured instant coffees. 

Anything else?

• Informative 1

I mentioned in another thread about products trying to "cash in" on 
Covid fears without making explicit claims. This suggests to me that the message about vitamin D has reached the general public despite government attempts to play it down.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, eight said:

I mentioned in another thread about products trying to "cash in" on 
Covid fears without making explicit claims. This suggests to me that the message about vitamin D has reached the general public despite government attempts to play it down.

Well it can't do you any harm.

23 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I am not taking Vitamin D, nor any supplement.

I believe it is all hype, but have held back with posting that view as I will get slaughtered by the many pill worshippers on here.

Over the counter medicines and remedies are a massive market in the UK, really huge money, and I can't help being sceptical about them because of that fact...

XYY

Everything I've read suggests that maintaining a decent vitamin D level in the body through the course of the year is a very sensible thing to do -helps  protect against viral infections, immune system improvement and regulation, even possible anti-cancer. You may say that taking vitamin D as a supplement is not natural but then neither is head to toe garments, indoor living for 95% of the time and most of our diet nowadays and if living away from the equator in winter months your body simply will not be able to acquire appropriate levels.

• Agree 7

26 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Everything I've read suggests that maintaining a decent vitamin D level in the body through the course of the year is a very sensible thing to do -helps  protect against viral infections, immune system improvement and regulation, even possible anti-cancer. You may say that taking vitamin D as a supplement is not natural but then neither is head to toe garments, indoor living for 95% of the time and most of our diet nowadays and if living away from the equator in winter months your body simply will not be able to acquire appropriate levels.

It's a general anti-inflammatory. Unlike @The XYY Man...

• Lol 6

Hail the Tripod
11 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

The bit I've highlighted is what stops me buying the whole argument.

The colour of my skin says I can indeed thrive and survive in the North - as the many generations before me did without any supplements.

Which also - as a by-product - proves that there is no such thing as "race" in humans. Skin colour is pure geography, and "race" is a construct designed to wind people up - which it certainly does on here...

XYY

Black Death was unbelievably brutal in  urban Norway and Sweden even relative to the rest of Europe. It’s estimated that 70% of the population of Bergen died in the first year it hit there!

We have evolved pale skin BECAUSE it is such a significant problem. The fact of winter disease “seasons” above certain latitudes suggests it is an imperfect solution.

It is entirely up to you whether you choose to take supplements or not though. It is a free country, after all...

Edited by Hail the Tripod
  • Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

Carl Fimble
2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Black Death was unbelievably brutal in  urban Norway and Sweden even relative to the rest of Europe. It’s estimated that 70% of the population of Bergen died in the first year it hit there!

We have evolved pale skin BECAUSE it is such a significant problem. The fact of winter disease “seasons” above certain latitudes suggests it is an imperfect solution.

It is entirely up to you whether you choose to take supplements or not though. It is a free country, after all...

xD

Bit in bold is something we used to say when I was younger!

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Carl Fimble
14 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

The colour of my skin says I can indeed thrive and survive in the North - as the many generations before me did without any supplements.

Which also - as a by-product - proves that there is no such thing as "race" in humans. Skin colour is pure geography, and "race" is a construct designed to wind people up - which it certainly does on here...

XYY

The peoples of the world are different, and (aside from white people) treat other people differently to their own people. 

• Agree 1

sarahbell
17 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

Even 80 years ago plenty of people would be outside working growing food. 

The industrialization of the world forces people indoors.

• Agree 3

Hail the Tripod
5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Even 80 years ago plenty of people would be outside working growing food. 

The industrialization of the world forces people indoors.

The carefree days of winter 1940, back before they had COVID to worry about. Even then Londoners were spending too much time indoors. 

CE2292BC-E516-411E-A599-997DEC7C1E46.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

sarahbell
2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The carefree days of winter 1940, back before they had COVID to worry about. Even then Londoners were spending too much time indoors. 

High death rates amongst factory workers and blitz victims.

The farm labourers were still out working everyday. They just didn't have to dodge the bombs

• Agree 1

Hail the Tripod
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

High death rates amongst factory workers and blitz victims.

The farm labourers were still out working everyday. They just didn't have to dodge the bombs

My Dad kept his childhood helmet and gas mask. The helmet had a massive dent in it from a bit of shrapnel that hit him as he was walking home from school in the Wimbledon area. A bomb that had fallen the night before exploded without warning as he was walking past.

Still had to walk to school again the next day. xD

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

40 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It does seem to be a very very strong evolutionary preference, no surprise that Sweden raised their mandatory vit D food fortification in 2019. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Carl Fimble
29 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

All simply different tribes indulging in tribal behaviour.

Once you get that, your life becomes easier to understand and much more relaxed...

XYY

Tribes, races, ethnic groups, different peoples of the world, whatever- they're different, and all have in-group preferences, aside from us white people who have been shamed into believing that rooting for our own people is somehow wrong. 

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Problem is that there's no solid evidence that taking supplements helps, even if the body needs extra vitamin D which I believe it does.

I take multi vitamins myself FWIW.

From Wikipedia:

In healthy people, most scientific evidence indicates that multivitamin supplements do not prevent cancer, heart disease, or other ailments, and regular supplementation is not necessary.[2][3][4][5][6][7][8] However, specific groups of people may benefit from multivitamin supplements, for example, people with poor nutrition or those at high risk of macular degeneration.[3][9]

Doubt much harm can come from them but there's a definite issue with some people who have terrible lifestyles and diets then thinking popping a Centrum will fix everything...

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I believe it is all hype, but have held back with posting that view as I will get slaughtered by the many pill worshippers on here.

Over the counter medicines and remedies are a massive market in the UK, really huge money, and I can't help being sceptical about them because of that fact...

XYY

I'm sure you'll be just fine.

There is a bit of a slippery slope in getting worked up over every risk rather than just living a happy life.

For a start, I'm sure that the vast majority of those here (including me) managed to live up until now without taking supplements.

I'd probably err on the side of 'everyone should take vitamin D' (I certainly do), but it does sit uneasily with me as perhaps an overreaction to life's uncertainties.

[All my grandparents took supplements in their later years.  As I saw them deteriorate, I could only think of those little pills as a straw that they were hanging onto for dear life, when the drowning was inevitable; in the end death was undeterred by that bottle of Sanatogen vital 50+]

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Problem is that there's no solid evidence that taking supplements helps, even if the body needs extra vitamin D which I believe it does.

From Wikipedia:

In healthy people, most scientific evidence indicates that multivitamin supplements do not prevent cancer, heart disease, or other ailments, and regular supplementation is not necessary.[2][3][4][5][6][7][8] However, specific groups of people may benefit from multivitamin supplements, for example, people with poor nutrition or those at high risk of macular degeneration.[3][9]

Doubt much harm can come from them but there's a definition issue with people have terrible lifestyles and diets then thinking popping a Centrum will fix everything...

Personally wouldn't wipe my arse with a paper copy Wikipedia. It is going down so rapidly day by day.

On the basis that had not heard of anything specific in regards heart disease and vitamin deficiency, this is the first hit. It looks like there is. You can take the general immune system /vit D benefits (having recommended body levels) to the bank. 

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.706127

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

A boring point that's OT, but those people on the platform wouldn't have realised at the time that just behind the rectangle in the top right of the image you'd have found the Elgin Marbles.

[Alas, Aldwych Tube station is no more.  I never really used you when I lived round there, but that's only because you were always closed.  ]

• Informative 1

23 minutes ago, spunko said:

From Wikipedia:

Doubt much harm can come from them but there's a definite issue with some people who have terrible lifestyles and diets then thinking popping a Centrum will fix everything...

I doubt multivitamins do much for most people.

I do take 'vitamin C supplements' on occasion, but that's only because I've got some screech powder 'for free' and I'm too tight to buy orange juice.

• Agree 1

Hail the Tripod
14 minutes ago, dgul said:

Aldwych Tube station is no more

Funnily enough it still sees quite a bit of use for filming “on location”.

Carl Fimble
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

But the behaviour of the tribe is governed by those at the top, not those at the bottom.

The majority of posters on here seem to focus their anger on the obedient plebs rather those pulling the strings.

And they are jointly pulling all of our strings, and not just the ones of the tribes you don't like...

XYY

Yes, each "tribe" has their own people at the top/front, or vanguard, but most of those vanguards are working for the benefit of the group in general. That doesn't apply to White people though, our people at the top/front are, and have been working in others interests for some time now.

• Agree 3

swiss_democracy_for_all
4 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

I believe you to be correct to be sceptical about 98% of supplements, but wrong about Vitamin D. There are only a few nutrients you can't get from a healthy varied diet (which is also more enjoyable than eating shite), but this is one of the few you can't, and it's a very important one. It's the only one I take all the time except on sunny holidays.

I'm mildly concerned you're not taking it as you're my age, a smoker, alky tendencies, only average fitness and with some past health issues I think. What would Dosbods be without our grumpy foulmouthed cunt from Peterlee? A worse place IMO. Anyway as @Hail the Tripodsays, it's your prerogative, and you may be one of those that Covid just bounces off anyway. 

• Agree 6
  • Lol 1

Carl Fimble
57 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

But their "vanguards" - as you refer to them - and ours are clearly colluding together 

Open your eyes man...

XYY

They may well be colluding, but it's our group which is under attack, that's the bit your eyes need opened to. 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
Just now, The XYY Man said:

Fair comment.

I'm too am concerned that you are the same age as me - and yet seem to have forgotten the thousands of cure-alls and quack medicine that has been shoved in front of you throughout your life by people who pay to do so on the media you choose to read, listen to, and watch.

And the new kid on the block Vitamin D currently cures EVERYTHING if you believe the hype on here. Perhaps the dead people who voted for Biden had been given a shot of the "sunshine drug"...???

Without people who'd bought it telling everyone else how wonderful it was, Samantha Fox's slimming tea would not have made any money whatsoever. Fuck all. Jack shit.

Fact is, most folk who buy worthless shite don't much like to admit it...

XYY

You think I started it due to Dosbods? I must come over as more stupid than I thought.

I've been taking it since my daughter's birth 11 and a half years ago, when the Swiss doctors gave Vitamin D droplets to us and instructed us to give them to her for at least the first year. "Eh?", I thought - "have never heard of that being done in the UK." So I went away and started hunting information on it, and ended up giving it to everyone, adults and kids. 

Oh yeah - and when missus was pregnant, they told her to get as much sun exposure as possible near the end of the pregnancy, we had a 4th floor west-facing balcony then and she sat outside with the sun on her belly and the baby kicking like crazy, she liked the sun. She's an extremely healthy kid, so much that so far she has no real idea of what being ill is, which has it's drawbacks IMO, a little suffering brings wisdom.

So no, I haven't forgotten the supplement quackery that's all around and I believe almost none of it, but Vitamin D isn't quackery,  and it's not the new kid on the block either, except in the UK where medics seem to have forgotten it's existence. I'm sure claiming it can solve everything (cancer, I read the other day 9_9) is shite, of course. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative 4

Hail the Tripod
28 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Fair comment.

I'm too am concerned that you are the same age as me - and yet seem to have forgotten the thousands of cure-alls and quack medicine that has been shoved in front of you throughout your life by people who pay to do so on the media you choose to read, listen to, and watch.

And the new kid on the block Vitamin D currently cures EVERYTHING if you believe the hype on here. Perhaps the dead people who voted for Biden had been given a shot of the "sunshine drug"...???

Without people who'd bought it telling everyone else how wonderful it was, Samantha Fox's slimming tea would not have made any money whatsoever. Fuck all. Jack shit.

Fact is, most folk who buy worthless shite don't much like to admit it...

XYY

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an advert for vitamin d and it’s ridiculously inexpensive. Total cost for my family of four is about £8/year. Although we take a lot less than most of the DOSBODS “D advocates”.

Did your mum, sorry “mam“, never give you cod liver oil as a child?

• Agree 2