• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battenberg

Could Someone Offer Advice On Printer Set Up

I've just had a second phone line, broadband with router installed in the office. 

I have 5 computers in the office. I currently have 4 computers on the original TT router plus a network capable Brother Laser printer plugged into this router.

The new PN router only has another member of staff's computer connected using ethernet. 

The problem I have is that the Brother Laser printer is on the TT router and now I've moved a staff member on to the new PN router I can't get her connected to this Brother printer. 

How do I connect their computer to the Brother printer? 

Yours, the technically challenged,

Battenberg. 

It isn't clear from the question.

• Do you have a sensible network topology, with the PH router (I presume this means modem/router/nat/switch/hub thing) acting as dhcp server and gateway, and the other relegated to just being a hub.
  • Have you just plugged the PH router into the TT router (Or are they even connected at all)?
  • Does the TT router also serve as a wifi access point?  Is there any wifi at all?

It's a network segmentation / broadcast type issue at a guess although it depends on how you have your two routers set up. Low end domestic routers are nearly always configured by default to do NAT so any broadcast type stuff will make it no further than things connected directly to that router meaning that the printer discovery protocol won't find anything that's not also directly connected. What are the exact models of the two routers in question?

48 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

It's a network segmentation / broadcast type issue at a guess although it depends on how you have your two routers set up. Low end domestic routers are nearly always configured by default to do NAT so any broadcast type stuff will make it no further than things connected directly to that router meaning that the printer discovery protocol won't find anything that's not also directly connected. What are the exact models of the two routers in question?

Exactly.

sIf it is just a wired network then the easiest way to sort it would be to buy a cheap 8 port hub to replace the tt router.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Exactly.

sIf it is just a wired network then the easiest way to sort it would be to buy a cheap 8 port hub to replace the tt router.

Buy a 16 port hub! You can never be short of holes!

37 minutes ago, The Prick said:

Buy another printer and hook it up to the PC on the other network.  Probably cheaper than getting some IT twat in to sort it out.

you need a Cisco level 5 integrator technician to do it proper, so my Banker friend says.

3 hours ago, The Prick said:

Buy another printer and hook it up to the PC on the other network.  Probably cheaper than getting some IT twat in to sort it out.

Just get rid of the extra member of staff.  You can't be too careful.

Well that's all very helpful, thanks. 

Basically then I'm no further forward. 

I'm sure someone knows and it's probably really straight forward ¬¬

I shall remember in future to only ask sensible questions about ukulales and the like. 

7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You might have to go into the router settings and enable something. You should at least log into the settings in the first instance to see if the printer is indeed being seen as connected to the router.

The printer is working fine for all computers connected to the TalkTalk router. 

I can't get it to work for the computer connected to the Plus Net router. I had hoped someone could have shed some light on it. 

I'm feeling sensitive now, what with being a daft bint.

2 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I'm sure someone knows and it's probably really straight forward . 

I shall remember in future to only ask sensible questions about ukulales and the like. 

I've had some good advice from here on computer related stuff

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/

the dosbods massive is more into random stuff. 9_9

32 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I'm sure someone knows and it's probably really straight forward ¬¬

The printer is working fine for all computers connected to the TalkTalk router. 

I can't get it to work for the computer connected to the Plus Net router. I had hoped someone could have shed some light on it. 

I'm feeling sensitive now, what with being a daft bint.

My advice was good! As someone else said, the simplest fix is probably to replace the TT router with a cheap 8 port hub. E.g. one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/lve/NETGEAR-GS308-100UKS-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-1000-Switch/B00AWM7PKO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491169962&sr=8-2&keywords=8+port+hub

I assume you're only using a TT box because you had it lying around from your old connection? Either way, I'm guess it probably won't be configurable in a way that would solve your problem easily but you can try this if you can find the right settings in the web interface: 

1. configure it to use a different subset from the PN router. So, if the PN router is something like 192.168.0.1, then set the TT router to be 192.168.1.1.

2. find out the IP address of the printer - the front panel will probably let you find that or you can do it by looking somewhere in the UI for the PN router (look for connected devices or something like that).

3. configure the printer on the PC connected to the the TT router by giving in the IP address directly rather than letting it search

This is all kind of messy and will need to be reset from time to time when the printer IP address gets changed on DHCP lease renewal...

Probably best to spend the 20 quid on a new hub.

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

Crikey, this is getting technical! I'm off!

"Have you switched it off? And then on again?"