DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Gibson buys Mesa Boogie

Bobthebuilder

I find it a bit funny, as Gibson's sound shit through a Mesa / Boogie IMHO, very mushy.

• Informative 2
MrPin
On 08/01/2021 at 15:17, Bobthebuilder said:

I find it a bit funny, as Gibson's sound shit through a Mesa / Boogie IMHO, very mushy.

I only know one person that buys Mesa-Boogie. It's not me. And I never bought a Gibson, just fake ones.

Bus Stop Boxer
On 08/01/2021 at 15:17, Bobthebuilder said:

Ive got a TA15 head which does 4 amps quite well. Fender Vox Marshall Mesa.

I use it mainly with a custom built tele with humbucker in the bridge.

Sounds ace on most "amps". Esp the Marshall setting.

Granted this is not your classic Mesa amp but im happy enough.

Bobthebuilder
55 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Ive got a TA15 head which does 4 amps quite well. Fender Vox Marshall Mesa.

I use it mainly with a custom built tele with humbucker in the bridge.

Sounds ace on most "amps". Esp the Marshall setting.

Granted this is not your classic Mesa amp but im happy enough.

Hi Mr Boxer,

I am very old-fashioned when it comes to amps, I still think a Marshall JCM 900 is a recent thing and I don't like them. JCM 800 and JPM now you are talking. The only Mesa I've played was the single and dual rectifier. A really good amp, but they don't cut it on stage, seems to get lost somewhere. Marshall have the mid-grunt that you can hear everywhere, best when on 11 sir.

I like the look of that TA15 but I had to look it up.

Bus Stop Boxer
On 16/01/2021 at 18:40, Bobthebuilder said:

Hi Mr Boxer,

I am very old-fashioned when it comes to amps, I still think a Marshall JCM 900 is a recent thing and I don't like them. JCM 800 and JPM now you are talking. The only Mesa I've played was the single and dual rectifier. A really good amp, but they don't cut it on stage, seems to get lost somewhere. Marshall have the mid-grunt that you can hear everywhere, best when on 11 sir.

I like the look of that TA15 but I had to look it up.

Howza

I had a JCM 800 Combo back in the mid 80s. It was a Friday afternoon amp i think. I remember it as the biggest pile of honky unmusical shite ive ever owned.

I was also a terrible guitar player at the time, which wouldnt have helped. And didnt really get the relationship between pickups, pre amps and speakers.

I kept taking it back to The Gig Shop in Boscombe and he kept selling me another 12ax7 pre amp valve to "fix" the amp.

In truth i think i was asking it to do something it wasnt designed to do, i had a rock amp but was in a sort of (terrible) mod revival band,and would have been better off with a small Vox type amp. Certainly the smorgasbord of modellers and kit these days would have helped in this regard.

I wrote to Marshall moaning about the amp and, this is straight up 100% true, i got a letter from Jim Marshall apologising.

Im going to have to see if i still have it.

If he'd seen me play back then, i dont think he would have bothered.

My TA15 is a US voltage model, but none the worse for that. Im delighted with it, no fx loop or reverb and retubing will cost a bit but it has great feel and is versatile. Ironically many say that the JCM setting is the most pleasing. I would not disagree.

I run it in to a 1x12 with a Celestion V Type speaker which is a decent all rounder.

More than good enough at home.

Though would love to crank it through a 4x12 with Green/Creambacks in it.

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer
  • Agree 1
Bobthebuilder
10 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Howza

I had a JCM 800 Combo back in the mid 80s. It was a Friday afternoon amp i think. I remember it as the biggest pile of honky unmusical shite ive ever owned.

I was also a terrible guitar player at the time, which wouldnt have helped. And didnt really get the relationship between pickups, pre amps and speakers.

I kept taking it back to The Gig Shop in Boscombe and he kept selling me another 12ax7 pre amp valve to "fix" the amp.

In truth i think i was asking it to do something it wasnt designed to do, i had a rock amp but was in a sort of (terrible) mod revival band,and would have been better off with a small Vox type amp. Certainly the smorgasbord of modellers and kit these days would have helped in this regard.

I wrote to Marshall moaning about the amp and, this is straight up 100% true, i got a letter from Jim Marshall apologising.

Im going to have to see if i still have it.

If he'd seen me play back then, i dont think he would have bothered.

My TA15 is a US voltage model, but none the worse for that. Im delighted with it, no fx loop or reverb and retubing will cost a bit but it has great feel and is versatile. Ironically many say that the JCM setting is the most pleasing. I would not disagree.

I run it in to a 1x12 with a Celestion V Type speaker which is a decent all rounder.

More than good enough at home.

Though would love to crank it through a 4x12 with Green/Creambacks in it.

I bought a JMP 50w combo top loader from Cash Guitars in Boscombe sometime in the late 80s, when I was gigging down there. Great little shop, it was full of old vintage gear back then and not bad prices.

Denmark Street in Soho was great back then as well, the price on the label was for tourists but if you had a Cockney twang it would be about half the price.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
MrPin
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I bought a JMP 50w combo top loader from Cash Guitars in Boscombe sometime in the late 80s, when I was gigging down there. Great little shop, it was full of old vintage gear back then and not bad prices.

Denmark Street in Soho was great back then as well, the price on the label was for tourists but if you had a Cockney twang it would be about half the price.

It's probably why they charged me extra for being posh.O.o

• Agree 1
Bobthebuilder
8 hours ago, MrPin said:

It's probably why they charged me extra for being posh.O.o

About 20 years ago I went to tin pan alley and played a nice JCM 800 100w head. I was pro at the time and the price tag was £450, I didn't even haggle, and he let me have it for £250.

The last time I went about 4 years ago I was shown the same guitar in 3 different shops, I kid you not.

MrPin
On 18/01/2021 at 19:50, Bobthebuilder said:

About 20 years ago I went to tin pan alley and played a nice JCM 800 100w head. I was pro at the time and the price tag was £450, I didn't even haggle, and he let me have it for £250.

The last time I went about 4 years ago I was shown the same guitar in 3 different shops, I kid you not.

I bought my "fake Gibson" when my apprenticeship was terminated. I went to Denmark Street. I still have it. It's not worth much, but it plays well.